Morbidly obese...need to change or life at risk, literally

Options
1235»

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I understand. I have struggled with weight loss through my adult life. I've lost 80 pounds at one time. I'm back up 30. I've lost and gained around 30 pounds more times than I can count. Fear of putting all 80 back one usually gets me going again. I'm only 5'3", so 80 pounds is really a lot on my frame. It's very hard. Genetics don't help. I truly believe we are predisposed to a certain body type. I am a volume eater. If it is something I like, I can eat very large volumes of it. Potato chips. Pasta. Bread. Cake. These things are hard for me to stop having just one more piece, one more serving, one more bowl. I eat when I feel anxiety. I eat when I'm sad. I eat when I am just craving. It's a lifetime battle. People who are naturally thin don't understand it. It's very, very hard.

IF has worked great for volume eaters. I do that and eat tell full every day which makes the diet sustainable for me. I've been at it for 27-months and am just a couple of lbs off all -time low since starting (sw 252, cw 198). Whatever works and isn't harmful! I have gained 10-lbs a couple of times but when I hit an upper limit, I just shorten my IF schedule from 16:8 (maintenance) to 20:4 (for losing) and I lose eating ad libitum and without counting. It is not a bad way to go IMO! I also found if I do 16:8 with just a low carb salad, my woe will not result in much increase in weight and I can maintain for a long time eating ad libitum which is sustainable for me! I now operate in a 5-lb window and if it does creep back up, i go to 20:4 tell I get where I want then I go back to the 16:8 schedule still eating ad libitum in the evenings.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I understand. I have struggled with weight loss through my adult life. I've lost 80 pounds at one time. I'm back up 30. I've lost and gained around 30 pounds more times than I can count. Fear of putting all 80 back one usually gets me going again. I'm only 5'3", so 80 pounds is really a lot on my frame. It's very hard. Genetics don't help. I truly believe we are predisposed to a certain body type. I am a volume eater. If it is something I like, I can eat very large volumes of it. Potato chips. Pasta. Bread. Cake. These things are hard for me to stop having just one more piece, one more serving, one more bowl. I eat when I feel anxiety. I eat when I'm sad. I eat when I am just craving. It's a lifetime battle. People who are naturally thin don't understand it. It's very, very hard.
    I was one of those struggling people, losing and gaining for decades. I believed I was destined to be fat. I'm also the same height as you. I believed something was wrong with me, because I could eat so much. I also believed something was wrong with food.

Then I got real information and learnt that I could use common sense on this area too, and that things are like they're supposed to be. MFP is a valuable source for balanced and neutral information, people in here thoroughly and patiently explain how it works. Weight is regulated by calories in and out, nothing else. Most people like to eat, and we are equipped with excess appetite to be able to store energy to use when food access is scarce. Food is good, and modern man made food is everywhere, all the time, and made to be irresistible. The way we look at food, makes not eating too much, really difficult. Most people need to set boundaries, in order to not eat too much.

Now I've maintained a healthy weight for three years. I eat anything I want, but I don't routinely overeat anymore. I stick mostly to meals, meals that I have planned to my liking and portioned to my needs. I give in to some cravings outside meals, but I mostly tell myself no, and that's okay, because I know I can have it if I really want it, I just have to wait. It's challenging, but not hard.

You would see me eat chocolate cake and wonder why I'm not fat.
  • knowleka
    knowleka Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i'll try guys. 2100 is a good goal? and you said 30% fats (olive oil, butter, peanut butter). i have a ton to learn. are eggs fats, or protein, and is the old idea of no more than 4 a week right?

Reading a lot of your comments i think you are overthinking things too much, start by just concentrating in staying within allocated calories for the day when you are in the swing of it properly you can start worrying about how much fat etc you should have. This can be looked at the end of your day and give insight into where you are going over recommended amount also as you get close or go over things like salt levels mfp will tell you when you record that food. One step at a time or you will become overwhelmed.
  • lexworks
    lexworks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was up to an estimated 400 pounds at one time. Buried the needle on a scale that went to 390. Did all the diets, which led me to that weight. I dropped 70 pounds to get to 330. Took 2.5 years. I am 6'1". Cut back calories. Still, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol. Meds! My daughter told me about MyFitnesspal. I started in July of 2016. I do go over my calorie count frequently but not drastically and I don't beat myself up about it. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet per se. I am now 270. Down 60 pounds. And I bought a cheap fitness tracker and try to do 10,000 steps every day. I usually walk about 3 miles at 3 mph. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation. My goal is to get to 230 pounds. Some will say that a year and a half to lose 60 pounds is not great, but that is the way I have to do it. Maybe it can work for you.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about exercise too much. Walking now and then would be great (if you can eventually progress to 10k steps or something, that'd be super) but it's not necessary for weight loss. I started at a similar weight (330 peak, I believe) and down to 210ish now.

I wouldn't worry so much about macros other than ensuring you are getting adequate protein. You need dietary fat in the 20-30% range, but that generally takes care of itself for most people. You don't need to get everything right, just get calories right and adjust the rest as you go.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Remember that you don't have to change your whole life around in a day... Make small changes over time and look at each change as simply adding to your momentum

Best wishes
  • lancenuovo
    lancenuovo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I realize...I have been poisoning myself.

I tracked my food for 2 days. I didn't change anything, just ate like normal. I thought I would be near 3000 calories .

Here is what i found as averages over 2 days (i'll put the MFP goals in front it):

calories a day (should be 2200/day): 2 days (4800+3150)=7950/2 =3975/day
    carbs (should be 220 ish--40%): 2 days (449+352)=901/2 =451/day
    protein (should be 165 ish--30%) 2 days (153+106)=259/2 =130/day
    fat (should be 73ish--30%) 2 days (281+148)=430/2 =215/day
    fiber (should be 40ish) 2 days (25+20)=45/2 =23/day
    sodium (should be 2300) 2 days (10,200+5729)=15,929 =7965/day
    water (should be 100 oz) 2 days (8 oz+8 oz)=16/2 =8/day
    diet soda 2 days (164 oz+136 oz)=300/2 =150/day

well, i guess it took an honest look at this. I am humiliated and enlightened. some simple changes look to be potentially life altering.

I HAD NO IDEA.....i weigh 350 lbs; and ALL of it in in my belly. It is ugly and draws attention and i have kids who never say a word, but I know are aware...and I have a wife who deserves a physically fit husband--not the biggest guy in the room.

I have been so blessed with pretty good health; great attitude and don't smoke or drink. ALL OF THAT COULD CHANGE OVERNIGHT. i HAVE TO START MY CHANGES TOMORROW.

I have talked about this before, but never looked at it this way. I am not going to worry about macros, just calories for now; except for fat.

I have always talked with such bravado about my efforts to change, but never looked at the true starting point. Well, day 1 tomorrow.

Monday is the new year, but looks like i don't have a free day to waste. I am stunned at this.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Some of what you have listed are minimum goals, not maximums. (Protein, for one. And water really means liquids; it doesn't have to mean only water.) Diet soda won't hurt you and can be included in the water total, as can coffee and tea—unless caffeine is something else you're trying to reduce.

Are you on a sodium restriction for medical reasons? Because going over that is probably okay if you aren't.

As for the rest, baby steps. Focus on one or two things at a time and as those get easier, add more. Rome wasn't built in a day. You didn't reach your current weight in a week. These things take time.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I tracked my food for 2 days. I didn't change anything, just ate like normal. I thought I would be near 3000 calories .

Here is what i found as averages over 2 days (i'll put the MFP goals in front it):

well, i guess it took an honest look at this. I am humiliated and enlightened. some simple changes look to be potentially life altering.

I HAD NO IDEA.....i weigh 350 lbs; and ALL of it in in my belly. It is ugly and draws attention and i have kids who never say a word, but I know are aware...and I have a wife who deserves a physically fit husband--not the biggest guy in the room.

I have been so blessed with pretty good health; great attitude and don't smoke or drink. ALL OF THAT COULD CHANGE OVERNIGHT. i HAVE TO START MY CHANGES TOMORROW.

I have talked about this before, but never looked at it this way. I am not going to worry about macros, just calories for now; except for fat.

I have always talked with such bravado about my efforts to change, but never looked at the true starting point. Well, day 1 tomorrow.

Monday is the new year, but looks like i don't have a free day to waste. I am stunned at this.

It is so awesome that you did this! A lot of newbies come here and don’t know what they were doing wrong to get where they got. The fact that you are looking at it this way is so inspiring and awesome. Knowledge is power! Now you know what to do and how little things can add up.
  • lancenuovo
    Options
    thanks so much. i have a long way to go
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Tracking can be an eyeopener, and opening eyes can be a painful blessing.

I'm happy for you that you aren't one of those people who are ready to cut way down on calories - when you can eat 4000 calories without blinking, 1500 is going to be very, very difficult. You have a healthy, reasonable attitude. Now you can see that eating 2000-2500 calories is going to make a solid dent in your intake, and that it will have an impact, if you do it for long enough, and you're mentally prepared - it's going to be challenging, but doable.

Focus on the calories. Whatever way that makes it easiest (and it's not going to be easy) to stick to your calories, is the way you should eat. Macro split, fiber, water recommendations - is just guidance - pretty randomly - to show you how people usually get most satiety for their calories. And satiety isn't everything - enjoyment, comfort, convenenience are also major factors in how easy or difficult it's going to be to eat less. In theory, you'd just cut out all the "offending" items, but you're not eating in theory, you're a person with a life, preferences, aversions, experiences, friends and family, work, joys and worries, so you have to eat for your life, not to fit into some preset form. Think about the word "table" - it can mean two things - rows and columns of words and numbers, and something you put your food on. It's easy to work with numbers, but you have to deal with real food, real hunger, real appetite.
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Friend people on here, there’s some accountability there. Log food before you eat every single time. You win the battle one meal and one workout at a time. Good luck.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    i have felt good for so long. just recently began to fear for health. i want 45 more years, want kids to have healthy dad. dont want to be stared out. all my weight is omentum fat. in front. used to be all about ego and looks; now about health. things have to change, but i have a lifetime of shrugging off self control.

Not to scare you, but my friend Eddie died of a heart attack at 53 less than a month ago. He will not see his daughter graduate from high school. She's devastated.

I don't know how old your kids are. But look at them every day and decide you won't miss graduation because you did not have self-control.

Also, as someone else mentioned, 1800 calories isn't enough for a 350lb guy. You can lose a pound a week on around 2500 with no exercise. I know this because my husband lost from 275 to 234 this year. He lifts weights daily and eats about 3000 to lose, 3500 to maintain. He is 43 and 6 ft. My 57 year old brother lost from 345 to 200 eating 2000 calories a day for 18 months. He has some mobility issues - he was in a bad motorcycle accident in 2014 - and is pretty sedentary.

My tips:
    1. Put your stats in MFP set to lose a pound a week. It's not linear weight loss, but following it will work.
    2. Log honestly, but don't beat yourself up over eating chocolate chip cookies you made with your kids or cake and ice cream for birthdays. Eat what you love, just east less than you have in the past.
    3. If you can, eat lunch at your desk and take a walk on your break. This means I move at least 30 minutes a day and it does wonders for my state of mind.
    4. Find an exercise you enjoy and do it as often as you have time. Your body will look better after the weight loss of you exercise whole losing.

Good luck!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    i'll try guys. 2100 is a good goal? and you said 30% fats (olive oil, butter, peanut butter). i have a ton to learn. are eggs fats, or protein, and is the old idea of no more than 4 a week right?

Eggs are both and I know people who eat them every day without increasing their cholesterol. I don't care for them, so at most I eat them once a week. Eat what love, just less of it.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    quickly. sorry to hold everyone hostage. perhaps my naiveness will make you all feel the smartest ever!

1) can i lose weight at 2100 cals a day
    2) if 30% fat; then what other macros?

i know they say calories are king, but if macros can give extra nudges, I am in!

I eat 45 carbs, 30 fats, and 25 protein. Or I aim for that. I don't hit it on the nose daily. It depends on what leaves you satisfied. My husband eats 35 carbs, 30 fats and 35 protein.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Fourteen months ago, I was BMI 45 (Obesity Class 3) and finally got a wake-up call in the the form of "Chronic Venous Insufficiency". Basically, the veins in my legs collapsed under the strain of carrying too much me. My weight also put undue pressure on my lymphatic system, so when I got some sort of cut or bug-bite on my calf, I developed cellulitus and lymph edema. For almost three months, I had a weeping wound on my leg that took multiple courses of antibiotics to treat. And that leg is now very prone to infection and slow to heal. Which leaves me worried about building up a tolerance to antibiotics and has made me much more cautious about taking them 'to be on the safe side' for other conditions. (Example: I had some symptoms of a UTI, but they were in the process of running tests to be sure. Doc offered to prescribe an antibiotic, just in case. I told her, "If you think it's a UTI, by all means. But if it's only a precaution, I'm trying to avoid unnecessary antibiotics because I'm worried about building up an immunity." She agreed with me. And it turned out to not be an infection.)

Doc told me that there was no way to reverse the circulation issues, but that they could be controlled with compression stockings and weight loss. I found MFP because I couldn't afford Weight Watchers and the only other way I knew to lose weight was with those thick calorie-counter pocketbooks that I'd used back in the 80s and 90s. But it was 2016 and I had a feeling there was probably something online. MFP was on the first page of hits when I Googled "online calorie counter".

Today, I'm overweight (BMI 28), haven't had a flare-up in almost a year, and I'm in much better shape than I used to be. I guess, for me, getting an obesity-related complication was the kick in the kitten I needed.

Congrats on your great progress!

This. Way to go!!!
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Can I just focus on a divergent train of thought here? You are freaking out and overwhelming yourself with thoughts about weight loss. You've commented 150 times in 2 days. You seem like you are trying to think yourself out of eating and using shame and scare tactics to try to freak yourself into having different behaviors.
    You have kids so you know how to start behaviors (hopefully). You set up expectations and REVIEW with them when things go sideways. You (hopefully) don't yell at them when they aren't good at something new. So use your brain to fix this problem not your emotions because they have not worked. This is not just planning but project management. So you have to plan then review what is not working and try to fix that thing. (E.g. you eat 2 donuts for breakfast. You can change that by changing your shopping behaviors and planning something less calorie dense that will give you the same satisfied feeling. Trial and error until you get it down.) I wish you tons of success and hope to see you around for years to come because that sustained behavior will help you to lose and maintain. Just don't blow it all at the beginning, get overwhelmed and then bag it because it seems too hard. Join a group, get some friends and check in on successes and misses daily and keep at it. You are doing fine! Just keep going :)
  • lancenuovo
    Options
    thanks, all
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of overweight people cringe at the thought of diets (dirty word around here) that last for an extended period of time. We crave quick fixes. All I can say is that quick weight loss usually results in quick regaining of the lost pounds. You don't have to be a shrink to understand that weight control is a lifelong gig. Try to get used to that idea. Opt for a program of slower weight loss supplemented with a reasonable exercise regime. Do some research because you don't have to become a gym rat; find something tolerable and even entertaining. Add me as a friend if you want and that goes for anyone else here.