Looking for new friends who quit sugar/eat clean :)

Options

Replies

• MarianMarMoi
    MarianMarMoi Posts: 87 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yes, I've understood by now that there are many different opinions as to what "clean eating" is and what you says makes perfect sense, @AnvilHead :) It is a bit odd that I've never encountered the different variations before, not sure how I managed that, but there's no point in trying to figure that out.

I will leave this thread now since I don't think I contributed to anything good. I did not mean to hijack the thread, sorry about that.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    You know. See the above response to the others. There are all sorts of threads here at MFP. If you aren't interested in eating clean, then spare us. The posters query was for people who WANT to eat clean. Maybe you are assuming that everyone on this site is here to lose weight. It is called My FITNESS Pal and some of us are here to find a path to a fitter healthier self rather than just lose weight. Honey has antioxidants and both honey (58) and maple syrup (54) have a lower glycemic index than table sugar (65). I am not advocating eating any of them by the spoonfuls. I clearly stated that overall I am trying to reduce my sugar intake. Unlike you, I have a credible site to support my information on honey. https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20040618/honey-has-variety-of-health-benefits-news#1 I consider Web MD to be a pretty balanced source of information.
    [post edited by mods]

Answer the question. Sugar is sugar. That’s why it BS to say it’s not. It is. It’s a fact. Pure honey is no better that HFCS.

Pure honey has some benefits as a natural remedy for coughs and seasonal allergies that cane sugar doesn't. Calories and carbohydrates wise, the human body uses the glucose the same way.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    -
    Being a normal weight is the main indicator to good health.
    -

I'm sorry but I will have to question this part. The only thing being normal weight means is that you eat the right amount of calories. I am normal weight and I've mainly eaten potato crisps for the past years. Even if this doesn't cause me to gain weight, do you think I'm healthy?

Of course everyone choose what they want to eat, but completely denying that some foods are not healthy is not right.

As I said, main indicator.

Eating too much of anything isn't healthy. Eating a little bit of potato chips as part of a balanced diet is fine.
    I'm not scared of eating some"unclean" potato chips or a chocolate bar.

I doubt anyone is scared to do so, but is it so terrible if people want to steer away from eating those things? Why bash them?

Where is anyone bashing them?

Maybe I've misunderstood something, but this thread quickly got filled up with people trying to tear down (with lack of a better word) that this was something worth doing. As if we're being silly even wanting to try this out. It's not nice.

I didn't read that at all.

I read people pointing out that no one knows what Clean eating means.

And also pointing out that you don't need to cut out any type of food, that you just have to watch the dose.

About the clean eating. Some people say it is something with three ingredients or less, others say nothing in a box, others say it's raw vegan, others say it's, insert what ever here.
    It has no definition.

I didn't know it had so many definitions on here, I've always heard it was whole foods, unprocessed foods or minimally processed foods. I guess I misunderstood the conversation going on because of that, it came across as hostile and belittling to me, but if you say that it is not, I will drop it.

I am cutting out a lot after today because I will binge on whatever I have around me that is salty. It is terrible. Even if I've had a long break from it I will just start again when I allow myself to eat it again.
    The only time I've felt free from the craving was when I had zero tolerance towards it, so that is what I will do and I will not look back. Maybe this is silly to others, but it isn't to me.

You know that works for you and that's great. I don't have a problem with cane sugar for baking, but do put honey on my tea because it's got immune system benefits. To some people, that is not clean eating, but it works for me.

I used to work with someone who wanted me to switch my half and half for soy milk. She would not let it go until I explained that I am allergic to soy beans so cow's milk is better for me. It was awful to be in the break room with her because she wouldn't take no for an answer. I am pretty live and let live because what anyone outside my house eats isn't my business.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @MarianMarMoi I'm not a clean eater, but if i were to try to explain what it is i would agree with your definition. Minimally processed, fresh/whole foods, no/low added sugar/preservatives etc etc I do get where you're coming from.

Most of us have trigger foods, and i don't blame you one bit for not wanting to bring chips (crisps) into the house, I don't either! Along with anything peanut buttery :weary:

I would love to eat a predominantly clean diet, eg cook from scratch every night, eat mainly whole fresh foods, no calorific sweets/junk food, no boxed foods eg easy to grab, cheap/fast low nutrition food etc But that kind of eating takes more time and willpower than i am willing to give it, so i'll just do the best i can for now. But in a perfect world, i would totally adopt that lifestyle.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I hope my post was somewhat clear... We have a new puppy, so am totally sleep deprived, plus we had annoying guests that stayed for a few days that finally just left. I'm a zombified mess right now :sad:
  • Heather_J_May
    Heather_J_May Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. I’m positive that clean, healthy eating is the way for me. Only just starting out but determined to enjoy the journey. I’m eating as fresh and unprocessed as possible. Good luck everyone.