Set Point Theory

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I believe in set point. I have weighed 283 and down to 155 in my adult life. I feel like my body likes around 220. I dont! Hoping to get down to 165-170. Maybe my hormones and stuff are happier there (When I was down to 155 my period stopped)
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    I think it goes down to: are you on a short term diet after which you'll go back to your old habits, or have you gained new knowledge, skills and discipline that will help you maintain your newly acquired goal weight? If you go back to your old habits, your old weight will come back.

I'm proud to say I've been maintaining 62-63kg for the last nine month or so, and its only because I'm very careful not to go over my maintenance calories. Do I still have the appetite of my 84kg self? Probably. I love eating, and it's true I can't eat as much as I want, because I want a lot of food. But, do I still have the behaviour of my 84kg self? No - I worked hard, and I'm still working hard to overcome my old behaviour and habits.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Nope. If set point theory really existed, then when immigrants who were leaner come to live in the US, should stay lean. Unfortunately, statistically many immigrants gain 30lbs or more within 5 years or so living in the US.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That was my case, but my lifestyle changed completely too (from walking 1-2 hours a day to being completely sedentary).
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    When I was young, I would force feed myself trying to gain weight. I could not gain. Seemed like I had one then. If I have one now, it is infinity I think. I have to watch it or I will gain.

I doubt it. You were growing and were consuming, overall, approximately maintenance calories to exist, be active, and grow, even if you felt like you were "force feeding" yourself. Also, I am assuming you DID gain weight. You didn't weigh, say, 55 lbs. at age 6, age 10, and age 14. Right? :)

Unless by "young" you mean full grown but in your 20s or whatever...in which case, again, you were simply consuming about the same calories you expended, at that thin weight. Which just means without the "force feedings" you just would have been even thinner. Overall, over time you were eating at maintenance for the weight you were...a then-thin weight.

From about age 17-25 I had a hard time gaining weight (155-160 at 6'1") and ate a ton of food. I counted calories one week at age 21 and it was 4000-5000kcal/day. I was running track and was expending a lot of energy but I did long sprints and wasn't much over 25-30 miles/week most of the year. The amount of exercise didn't account for the calories IMO. I must have had a screaming metabolism. I got sick a couple times during that period and I don't think I gained any weight but maybe I cut back on eating.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    I think it exists.

But I think we're constantly overriding our eating instincts with "foods" that are only the most addictive extracts of food (sugars and oils removed and concentrated). They are then advertised everywhere and constantly available. We aren't being driven by hunger to seek food, we've designed our society so those selling the food are seeking us.

That's just the thing...
    The theoretical set point Stops you gaining or losing weight...

The hypothalamus also keeps your body from getting too hot or too cold but that doesn't mean you will always be exactly 98.6 degrees. Many things (illness, drugs, pregnancy) can cause the body to deviate from this point.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    I think it exists.

But I think we're constantly overriding our eating instincts with "foods" that are only the most addictive extracts of food (sugars and oils removed and concentrated). They are then advertised everywhere and constantly available. We aren't being driven by hunger to seek food, we've designed our society so those selling the food are seeking us.

That's just the thing...
    The theoretical set point Stops you gaining or losing weight...

The hypothalamus also keeps your body from getting too hot or too cold but that doesn't mean you will always be exactly 98.6 degrees. Many things (illness, drugs, pregnancy) can cause the body to deviate from this point.

Apparently only in one direction and conveniently it's the direction where it serves as an excuse for why their last diet failed.

Blaming a hijacked and unhealthy set point to explain why you can't lose weight would be like complaining you can't lower your body temperature while you continue taking MDMA. If you aren't willing to change your habits and environment to eliminate the cause of overeating, you aren't going to get different results only by wishing for them.