Physical attraction subjective or objective?

Options

Replies

• MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's completely subjective (the way fatness and skinniness go in and out of fashion over time is a good example of how society's idea of beauty changes).

I don't think there is any objective human idea of attractiveness- not even something as popular as "youth" or "health"- because you will always find a good number of humans who don't feel that way.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am only physically attracted to someone if I get to know them and my brain agrees. So I guess I am attracted to certain personalities vs physical attributes. Not to be confused with finding someone aesthetically pleasing, like a work of art, structure or nature. I find very few people actually physically attractive.. maybe one celebrity (who I know a lot about and admire his brilliance, work and talent) and my husband.

So.... if I was funny and smart you would be attracted to me even if I was so ugly I could be a modern art masterpiece?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I am only physically attracted to someone if I get to know them and my brain agrees. So I guess I am attracted to certain personalities vs physical attributes. Not to be confused with finding someone aesthetically pleasing, like a work of art, structure or nature. I find very few people actually physically attractive.. maybe one celebrity (who I know a lot about and admire his brilliance, work and talent) and my husband.

So.... if I was funny and smart you would be attracted to me even if I was so ugly I could be a modern art masterpiece?

9jzswtrdw3k4.png
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I like tallish girls and most happen to be caucasian. But there are some girls I kinda like that aren't tall. Most that I like aren't real short though. All the girls I've put on a pedastool happen to be on the tallish side.

Pedastool. My new favourite word.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Love doesn't have a type.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    eccomi_qui wrote: »
    I like tallish girls and most happen to be caucasian. But there are some girls I kinda like that aren't tall. Most that I like aren't real short though. All the girls I've put on a pedastool happen to be on the tallish side.

Pedastool. My new favourite word.

:joy:
  • NaeJayKay
    NaeJayKay Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    vm007 wrote: »
    Love is hormones right?

Is there something universally ugly ?

I thought for a while before I decided to answer this because I wouldn't want someone to be reading to see my answer and be reminded of something they already know. So, instead I'm going to answer what is universally considered attractive: Clear skin.

In my opinion there is absolutely NOTHING more unattractive in a human being than someone who attempts to exalt themselves all the time. Gross. Second to that would be someone who is always confrontational.

I think physical appearance catches our attention but doesn't always mean we pursue someone based on that. When we click with someone, it seems we subconsciously recognize the possibility of long term companionship and maybe that causes us to desire their company, when we desire their company we think of them more, when we think of them more, we develop feelings. The common thing I have found in the guys I've been interested in and dated was their gentle honesty and openness (not in a TMI kind of way).
  • cee134
    edited January 2018
    Options

9jzswtrdw3k4.png

What the *kitten* are you talking about?
  • sardelsa
    Options

9jzswtrdw3k4.png

Ok yea you caught me.. you definitely don't have a chance. I was trying to be polite :p
  • eccomi_qui
    Options

Attraction does. You don't just love someone the moment you meet them, unless it's Disney. You go for what you like in a person, that's your type.

Look at this party pooper
  • eccomi_qui
    edited January 2018
    Options
    eccomi_qui wrote: »

Attraction does. You don't just love someone the moment you meet them, unless it's Disney. You go for what you like in a person, that's your type.

Look at this party pooper

Isn't there some syrup you should be drinking dear?

Honestly, How dare you!!
  • cee134
    Options

9jzswtrdw3k4.png

Ok yea you caught me.. you definitely don't have a chance. I was trying to be polite :p

So by misusing a meme you are being nice? You didn't answer my question, just avoided it. If someone, it doesn't have to be me, is smart and funny but ugly, would you be attracted to said person?
  • sardelsa
    Options

9jzswtrdw3k4.png

So by misusing a meme you are being nice? You didn't answer my question, just avoided it. If someone, it doesn't have to be me, is smart and funny but ugly, would you be attracted to said person?

What is your definition of ugly? Maybe they wouldn't be ugly to me. Who knows. But generally no. I am not attracted to many people.
  • cee134
    Options

9jzswtrdw3k4.png

What is your definition of ugly? Maybe they wouldn't be ugly to me. Who knows. But generally no. I am not attracted to many people.

Ugly could be anything. Someone who has no teeth and warts all over his face but was the funniest, kindest, smartest person you knew, you would be attracted to said person?
  • sardelsa
    Options

9jzswtrdw3k4.png

Ugly could be anything. Someone who has no teeth and warts all over his face but was the funniest, kindest, smartest person you knew, you would be attracted to said person?

It's not like that. I have to have a connection. So no probably not in that case.
  • eccomi_qui
    Options

9jzswtrdw3k4.png

It's not like that. I have to have a connection. So no probably not in that case.

She means that making a connection is hard in this day and age, like plugging in a USB the right way on the first try