Are My Health Coach's Words Accurate?

Options
Okay, so I have a “health coach” who does my weekly weigh ins with one of those body fat scales. When I say health coach, I use that term very loosely, she’s not like a qualified anything, but she’s done some informal training, and she’s family.

Anyway, she’s really worried about my fat %. Like, telling me I’m going to get all these diseases and that it’s really, really, alarmingly high. The scale says I’m sitting on 33% body fat, which I know isn’t healthy, but I don’t feel like I’m as unhealthy and fat as she makes it out to be.

I’m 5’4 and currently at 74kg (163cm and 163lbs), there’s a picture of me too so you can see how my body holds it.

I’m still on my weight loss journey, so I’m certainly not settling at 33%, but is it really as bad as she makes it out to be?

Thanks for your honest opinions guys :smile:

zh85l639n31b.png

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It’s not great but it’s not horrible - I’d validate her results with a dexa scan, bodpod or similar to make sure it’s accurate

Then add some progressive strength training (strong lifts, strong curves, wendler)
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    Those body fat % scales have a large margin of error. Has she advised you at all about how your hydration levels affect the readings? You don't look like you could possibly be 30% to me, at all.

She's mentioned that when water % increases or decreases, then fat % will do the opposite, but that's about it.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust those scales. Book in for a Dexa scan, I think they are well and truly worth it. Also, you can google for images like this https://www.google.com.au/search?q=women+body+fat+chart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7vaLa27rYAhVEoZQKHZzVCXcQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=672#imgrc=jW1jiXS91MVPnM:

Assuming you are at 30%, you'll see it isn't that high, and definitely not "alarmingly" high. You said you are still losing so just keep on doing what you're doing.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust those scales. Book in for a Dexa scan, I think they are well and truly worth it. Also, you can google for images like this https://www.google.com.au/search?q=women+body+fat+chart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7vaLa27rYAhVEoZQKHZzVCXcQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=672#imgrc=jW1jiXS91MVPnM:

Assuming you are at 30%, you'll see it isn't that high, and definitely not "alarmingly" high. You said you are still losing so just keep on doing what you're doing.

Thanks for this. I'll definitely look into a Dexa scan. Thanks for your support.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    While I absolutely agree the scales can be inaccurate I think getting a scan is really unnecessary for the general population. I'm very much into human physiology, lean mass, gaining and losing fat and lean mass, strength training, all that stuff. I still wouldn't go and get a scan, visual is good enough for me.

Thanks for your input. So visually then, how would you feel about my body composition and my level of fat?
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    While I absolutely agree the scales can be inaccurate I think getting a scan is really unnecessary for the general population. I'm very much into human physiology, lean mass, gaining and losing fat and lean mass, strength training, all that stuff. I still wouldn't go and get a scan, visual is good enough for me.

Thanks for your input. So visually then, how would you feel about my body composition and my level of fat?

I actually think around 30% is right. Your legs and arms are a bit lower but due to the middle/belly it bumps it up and as mentioned, that is the the least ideal place to store excess.The good news is that with the rest of you being reasonably lean it should come off your tummy at a nice pace now. Just keep going and see where you are as you progress.

I absolutely advocate for strength training of some description, it will help retain lean mass that we inevitably lose as we lose weight and once at goal/a happy place it will continue to improve your composition.

Well that's certainly good news to hear! And I love strength training, so I'll definitely be doing lots of that! Thanks again!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Her comments about diseases reflect the statistical risk for overweight /over fat people. It's not going to happen to you tomorrow but many of these diseases don't show up until many years or decades later. That doesn't make them not real. At your age no one can say which ones you'll get or when, or if you will be lucky and dodge the bullet.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Scales aren't accurate for bf% and 33% isn't "alarmingly" high. There's no reason for her to be trying to scare you with it :huh:

Regardless, the only thing you can do is what you're already doing - losing weight. Honestly, it so hard to get a reliable bf reading, I wouldn't worry about verifying the number. You know you still have weight to lose, and that's the key.

Genetically I tend to carry my weight in my middle so I focus on my waist measurement and waist related ratios. I've had a smart scale for a couple of years and despite losing almost 20 lbs and looking like I'm in a lot better shape, it's been giving me the same bf% the whole time, so I ignore it :lol:
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Scales aren't accurate for bf% and 33% isn't "alarmingly" high. There's no reason for her to be trying to scare you with it :huh:

Regardless, the only thing you can do is what you're already doing - losing weight. Honestly, it so hard to get a reliable bf reading, I wouldn't worry about verifying the number. You know you still have weight to lose, and that's the key.

Genetically I tend to carry my weight in my middle so I focus on my waist measurement and waist related ratios. I've had a smart scale for a couple of years and despite losing almost 20 lbs and looking like I'm in a lot better shape, it's been giving me the same bf% the whole time, so I ignore it :lol:

Oh wow, I can’t believe the BF on your scales didn’t move! That’s crazy.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you aren't paying this person anything...

You definitely have weight to lose, but nothing that screams "omg, health scare!!" And yes, all those body fat scales are inaccurate. You could one reading in the morning and a completely different one at night. However, as long as you are losing weight, body fat percentage isn't really that important. Keep eating well and strength training and your body fat will drop.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Please tell me you aren't paying this person anything...

You definitely have weight to lose, but nothing that screams "omg, health scare!!" And yes, all those body fat scales are inaccurate. You could one reading in the morning and a completely different one at night. However, as long as you are losing weight, body fat percentage isn't really that important. Keep eating well and strength training and your body fat will drop.

No, I'm not paying her. I'll stop stressing. Well, I'll try. It's difficult when I'm getting the 3rd degree from her for being so unhealthy. I just need to keep going and losing weight and then it won't be an issue anymore
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just keep focused on what you’re doing. Am similar to you, 5ft4, 153lbs and want to get to 135lb. What’s your goal? I think focusing on that rather than the BF will work for, it’ll come down as you lose.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Unless your get some kind of body scan like the Dexascan, Bodpod or that dunk tank measurement I would not go by what the scales say in bodyfat.

Oh and by the way and I dont mean to throw her under the bus, but the whole OH MY GOD your gonna die thing is a bit over the top really. Like she has been trained to try to make people think the worst to motivate them program. Just saying.

You want my advice work on yourself and measure with a tape measure and what you look like in a mirror. That is if you can be honest and objective with yourself. Take pics to compare and hey if you need to post them here. Sometimes we are very hard on ourselves and others can see what we cannot.

Not to mention for the ladies you have well features that might cause a higher fat % anyways. In your pic you look fine to me. yeh we all need or want to lose some weight and do what you feel you need to do. This is something that needs to be a change for you so that when you get to your goal you also can maintain it.