Low carb?

Options
Ewa101975
Ewa101975 Posts: 39 Member
Hi there:

How many carbs should I eat on a low/slow carb diet? I am not sure about the difference between Keto diet and Low carb diet. I read somewhere that it is quite difficult to remain in ketosis. What about fasting?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Those are some tricky questions. How many carbs do you want to eat? How many calories should you eat? Keto is extremely low carb - low enough to enter ketosis. It's not difficult to remain in ketosis, just stay under that carb limit. Fasting is not eating. What exactly about fasting?
  • Ewa101975
    Options
    wondering about intermittent fasting, how many hours is the minimum fast to enter state of ketosis?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Slow carb involves eating whole foods, with fibre, which will not be a large glucose hit to the body. Foods that have a low glycemic index or glycemic load. Slow carb does not need to be low carb.

Low carb is under 100-150g a day of carbs in most cases. A ketogenic diet is under 20-50g for most people. Some go lower, and some a tive, metabolically people go higher. The ketogenic diet will generally skip most fruits and all grains, whole or refined. The low carb diet might include some of those in small to moderate amounts

Once I was in ketosis for a few days, I found a ketogenic diet quite easy to maintain. Some may find it hard. Some find it easy.

If you are coming from a moderate or high carb diet, it might require a fast of a day or maybe two to enter deep or measurable ketosis. It will be faster if you include exercise or are starting from a lower carb level. Most people do not start with a fast but simply lower carbs, which may take a day longer to get into a deep ketosis.

These groups might be helpful to you

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • Jaydensmamma
    Jaydensmamma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Im not sure on the differences in low carb but Im on keto and I try to stay, at the absolute highest, at 35g of carbs in total. So that is for sugars too. Like if I eat blueberries and they have 8g of sugar I count that in my carb intake. Ketosis is not difficult to get into (minus the keto flu) or to stay in if you're tracking everything you eat.
  • Jaydensmamma
    Jaydensmamma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As far as fasting goes, my husband does the 16hrs fasting and 8hrs of eating. I personally strive for a minimum of 12hrs fasting so I eat my last meal around 9pm and do not eat again until at least 9am. This includes suppliments. Things like fish oil can break the fast so the only thing I intake during that time is water.
  • Ewa101975
    Options
    thank you all.
  • EloiseBean
    EloiseBean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    carbs are amazing. why cut them out
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Im not sure on the differences in low carb but Im on keto and I try to stay, at the absolute highest, at 35g of carbs in total. So that is for sugars too. Like if I eat blueberries and they have 8g of sugar I count that in my carb intake. Ketosis is not difficult to get into (minus the keto flu) or to stay in if you're tracking everything you eat.

Sugar is carbohydrates... It is already included in the total carb amount, and the net carb amount if you're looking at that information.