Do you ever follow a binge with a fast?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I know someone who used to do this...she was diagnosed EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified)
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Having dealt with anorexia and bulimia myself, fasting after a binge is the worst thing you can do. It can lead to a full on eating disorder.
  • liftingmomlife
    liftingmomlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i hold myself accountable by logging every delicious morsel.... and then i start fresh the next day. i have, unintentionally, ended up fasting but it was mostly due to feeling bloated and blah from eating badly and too much. i IF anyways, so that may be another reason why having a binge would throw me way off.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What is a binge exactly?

I don't think I've ever had a "binge"...I've had days when I overeat for sure...party or BBQ or holiday or whatever...but I just go about my business afterwards.

For me a "binge" is when I eat compulsively, almost as if I can't control it...there are usually negative emtions attached to it...it's a little more than just eating a little too much

This is what my answer was going to be. Its far, far worse than just overeating to me.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think deliberately fasting the next day can spiral into the binge/restrict cycle, BUT if you really arent hungry, then just don't eat as much. Listening to your body is more important than the mental side of trying to restrict to make up for the binge.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    doing a rather low calorie day the day after a binge is an EXCELLENT tool to keep the binge from making an impact on your weight/diet/morale!

It's a good way to begin the vicious restrict - binge cycle
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I know someone who used to do this...she was diagnosed EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified)

I was an anorexic binge/purge subtype and if I'm not careful still fall into this cycle
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The very rare day when I'm not hungry the next day, sure. But otherwise I just go back to my normal deficit.

I envy the people who 'are still so full from last night's dinner'.

I think I know how you feel. I think by perpetually eating by daily allowance (deficit for losing) you never get true full and train your body to feel satisfied.

These days It seems like every weekend I go to a buffet restaurant or a pizza place where I intentionally eat as much as possible (short of getting myself sick of course) -- good for the body, mind, and the pocket. I'd love to be able to eat enough to cover the next 2, 3 meals. That would save me time and money.

After such a big meal I won't get hungry for at least 12 hours. After 24 hours a simple sandwich or a bagel + a vitamin drink is sufficient for the next 8 hours!

Yeah I wish. I eat more every Sunday actually because it's when we meet with my friends (usually 1000 over maintenance, which was 3400 last week, but still gave me enough of a deficit that week to lose half a pound). Still hungry the next morning. The only time I was not hungry the next day is after 2 days of eating 4500 calories at Christmas 2 (3?) years ago.

I was 1000 over maintenance yesterday. Now it's 6.30am and my stomach is growling.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I just eat when I’m hungry the next day, which isn’t until 5pm usually.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Tried that, backfired spectacularly and just led to more binging.

My experience also. I'm much better at avoiding binge type behaviour these days but when I over indulge, I tend to shrug it off and eat normally (to plan) the next day.

Me three.

I just go at it harder the next day. Also I’m at the point in which I am trying to determine what set me off. And not do that again. Or as much.

• lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it’s part of binging disorder that I’m working through. It’s not a great cycle to create for yourself if you can avoid it.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just try to resume normal eating. I also have a history of bulimia...so binge/fast/binge/fast etc is something I personally know just doesn't work out. I've also found that when we really do eat in a way that fulfills us, fuels us and doesnt mentally feel restrictive (we work in our favorites) then I really don't binge at all. Eat an extra snack or two? sure. but full on can't stop eating everything in sight? nah.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Not usually... it tends to worsen my issues/relationship with food.