Grass fed meat

Options
Okay so I recently asked someone for help for eating wise and they told me to try eating grass fed meat and vegetable only would that be a good idea ? What do you guys think?

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Okay so I recently asked someone for help for eating wise and they told me to try eating grass fed meat and vegetable only would that be a good idea ? What do you guys think?

Well it depends, do you have the money to spend way too much on grass fed meat? If so go ahead, if not don't.
    You can be expensive and lose weight, you can be cheap and lose weight. It's all about the deficit, doesn't matter what you eat.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Help eating to do what? Lose weight? Your body doesn't care if the meat is grass fed or corn fed. Calories in have to be less than the calories out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? When you say "help eating-wise" what does that mean? Do you want to lose weight? Eat healthy? Improve a medical condition?

I suspect you are trying to lose weight. In order to do this, all you have to do is eat fewer calories in a day than your body uses. Log your food into the food diary on this site. Stay within your calorie allotment most of the time. Enjoy whatever food you like within your calorie allotment.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I prefer grassfed and pasture raised meat. I has a much healthier nutrition profile than CAFO meat. And the animals and earth are usually treated much better than in CAFO situations. It is best to know your farmer and his/her practices. But I don't stick to only grassfed meat and veg. I eat a variety of other foods, too.

You didn't explain what you mean by "wise" eating. Are you trying to gain weight? Lose weight? Lower or raise cholesterol? Raise or lower blood sugar levels? Make your skin look pretty? What goals are you trying to accomplish through your nutrition plan?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I try to eat grass fed, no hormone, organic meat, but I eat lots of variety. There's no point in doing a restrictive diet in order to loose weight because as soon as you stop you'll gain the weight back.

If you are going for eating healthier, well what's wrong with whole grains, dairy, and fruits?
  • gpwalling
    gpwalling Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To me, grass fed beef tastes better. If I am going to consume beef, I want good tasting beef. I usually buy a 12 oz. steak and eat half of it per meal. I use the rest for a burrito or to add to other food.

Essentially, "All cows do graze on pasture for the first six months to a year of their lives, but most finish at a feedlot on a concentrated mix of corn, soy, grains, and other supplements, plus hormones and antibiotics...A feedlot cow can grow to slaughter weight up to a year faster than a cow fed only forage, grass, and hay...The feedlot process not only speeds the animal to slaughter weight but also enhances fat marbling...

"Boosting fat levels changes the nutritional composition of the meat, of course, and, from a health point of view, not for the better. A study by researchers at California State University in Chico examined three decades of research and found that beef from pasture-raised cows fits more closely into goals for a diet lower in saturated fat and higher in "good fats" and other beneficial nutrients. Grass-fed beef is lower in calories, contains more healthy omega-3 fats, more vitamins A and E, higher levels of antioxidants, and up to seven times the beta-carotene.
    http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/resources/grass-fed-beef-grain-fed-beef

So there you have it, better nutritional composition in grass fed beef.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you should think rationally and come to the conclusion that a varied and balanced diet that includes everything you like, nothing you are allergic to, and not too much of anything, is a wise way to eat.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I only eat grass fed beef ( and not very often either) & I won't touch grain fed beef or farm raised salmon.

Grass fed beef has a different lipid profile than grain fed.... It's omega 3 versus omega 6.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I prefer grass fed beef, mostly as a matter of taste...but I eat a whole variety of whole food goods, not must meat and veg. Nutrition is pretty much common sense...there's a lot more whole food nutrition out there than just meat and veg...common sense...
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I buy grass fed meat, and wild caught seafood. I like the taste more, plus the ethics in regards to how the animals are treated matter to me. As for produce, there are some that I prefer to buy local and/or in season (especially berries), but I am not so rigid on that.

It doesn't have to be expensive, especially if you eat a wide variety of foods. Buy local, discounted meat sections, shop around for good deals, etc.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    It sounds fantastic to me. I'd love it. But I try to balance it out a little. Other foods are healthy, too.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It is good, but maybe look for a local butcher shop where the cows are close by so the cost is much the same as you get at a grocery store but the cows are happy and the meat is the best around.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I eat grassfed, grass finished meat and vegetables most of the time because it's what I like to eat, it supports the type ethical farming that is important to me and and eating that way is sustainable long term for me.

Are those things you enjoy eating? Could you see yourself eating only that? What are your goals? I'm assuming weight loss correct?

If your goal is just to lose weight and maintain that loss you do need to follow any special diet. Find foods you like to eat, find foods that you find both filling and satisfying from a taste perspective and eat those in amounts that create a calorie deficit. Don't make it more more challenging on yourself than it has to be.
  • Treece68
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @janejellyroll living in central illinois the farm is close to the butcher shop i go to, so I can see that they are treated well. I think that happy cows mean great tasting meat. Just like the vegetables I grow I treat them well take care of their needs and they are delicious.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Grass fed beef tends to be leaner, but it isn't magic. I find it yummy and will pay more for it. Just my $.02
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    @janejellyroll living in central illinois the farm is close to the butcher shop i go to, so I can see that they are treated well. I think that happy cows mean great tasting meat.

I'm not questioning your belief that a cow's pre-slaughter emotional condition impacts the flavor of their bodies, I'm just pointing out that butchers aren't involved with the cow's emotional experiences.

It's the farm and slaughterhouse conditions that are impacting the cow's emotions, not the location of the butcher's shop.
  • Treece68
    Options
    @janejellyroll they are owned by the same family here. I know this is not the same everywhere.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Grass fed meat leaves out a lot of delicious and lean meat .. like fish. and poultry. and pork.

"Grass fed meat only" is waaaay too restrictive.