Is there a point when it all stops?

Options

Replies

• Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

If you are still overweight or a higher BMI and you are accurately logging AND not losing weight on 1200 calories per day for an extended period of time then I would check in with your primary care provider if you haven't and check for possible underlying conditions that could cause this.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »

If you are still overweight or a higher BMI and you are accurately logging AND not losing weight on 1200 calories per day for an extended period of time then I would check in with your primary care provider if you haven't and check for possible underlying conditions that could cause this.

I’m not overweight my BMI I think is 22 or 23 but that’s just with height and weight (not with any measurements) I’d like to still lose just a little more to reach my goal weight.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So with some fuzzy math your BMR should be somewhere around 1514.51 just to live for the day, doesnt count exercise. Do you exercise any?
  • Ryansworld84
    Options
    That was assuming you're a male from your profile picture. If female make that 1404.85 BMR.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    That was assuming you're a male from your profile picture. If female make that 1404.85 BMR.
    Female
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You should try a diet break

I agree with this advice. Try eating at maintenance for a week, then get back to your low calories. Honestly, you're so very close to your goal weight, things are probably going very slowly. I'm 5'1", and 127# would actually be my goal weight. Do you work out? If you don't, try some light cardio, lifting weights. Your weight will probably not go down, but you may find that you're happier with how your body looks.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    So with some fuzzy math your BMR should be somewhere around 1514.51 just to live for the day, doesnt count exercise. Do you exercise any?

Very very lightly. Just chasing down my little one.
  • Ryansworld84
    Options
    So I would suggest adding 100 to 150 calories per day into your day for a week and document what happens and adjust from there.
  • Ryansworld84
    Options
    Slowly find your mark.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »

I agree with this advice. Try eating at maintenance for a week, then get back to your low calories. Honestly, you're so very close to your goal weight, things are probably going very slowly. I'm 5'1", and 127# would actually be my goal weight. Do you work out? If you don't, try some light cardio, lifting weights. Your weight will probably not go down, but you may find that you're happier with how your body looks.

I want to start weight lifting but I have my little one 24/7 so I’m gonna wait til he gets a little older to do so. 7 pounds isn’t a huge difference it’s just basically more about me wanting to get to 120
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Death.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Death.
    Is there a point where your body stops losing weight? Where it’s at the lowest it’ll get without you starving yourself completely? And if there is a point how do you know you’ve reached that point?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Death.
    Is there a point where your body stops losing weight? Where it’s at the lowest it’ll get without you starving yourself completely? And if there is a point how do you know you’ve reached that point?

People are (attempting) to communicate that there is no point where the body will stop losing if there is a deficit. This is how it is possible for people to be truly harmed by lack of food.

There are points where your metabolism will make some adjustments to a prolonged calorie deficit, but you never completely stop needing energy. It has to come from somewhere. Your body can't run for "free."
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

For how long? Won’t I gain my weight back?

Yes do the diet break. You have reached an end point where you need to reverse your calorie deficit. You will not gain FAT back, you will gain some temporary water weight, but again this not fat.

This should answer many questions on what and how to take a diet break.

take time to watch the video in this link as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

eta: sorry for re-posting the link.. this thread moved quite fast as I was reading and trying to respond.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I want to start weight lifting but I have my little one 24/7 so I’m gonna wait til he gets a little older to do so. 7 pounds isn’t a huge difference it’s just basically more about me wanting to get to 120

So you are already at a healthy weight and looking to lose vanity lbs, nothing wrong with that. But progress will be really slow and easily hide behind water weight fluctuations. For my last 10 lbs, I sometimes wouldn't see the scale move for 2 or 3 months, then all of a sudden I'd be down 2 lbs. You say you are using a food scale, which is awesome. If there is anything you eat regularly that you aren't weighing, try to do that a few times to make sure your portions are on point. Also double check that the entries you are using in the database are accurate (lots of them are wrong), and try not to use generic or recipe-style entries you didn't create yourself. When you have a lot of weight to lose, you have more wiggle room with your logging but once you get down to the nitty gritty it's all hands on deck :) With your stats and having a little one to chase, 1200 cals is lower than you should need to go, barring a medical condition.

I would agree with changing your setting to "maintenance" for a couple of weeks and then getting back at it. If you can add in some home workouts in the near future, you might actually find that getting more "fit" will make you happier than losing more weight, but regardless patience will be a key. Hang in there and good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you look at what your maintenance will be at your goal weight you will be able to see how big a deficit 1200 cals is giving you.

I am 5'1 and lost on 1200 plus 200 exercise calories. I went from 130-100-105 maintenance. It took a year, and the last few lbs were so slow weekly weight loss was imperceptible. But it did happen.

At about the 115 mark, when my loss started to slow I checked what my maintenance would be at sedentary. It was 1200 on MFP, (so the same as what my deficit was) it was also in that ball park with other calculators. I also have a BMR of about 950-1000 depending on the calculator used. (I'm old, small, and light, so the numbers are correct)

So to answer your question, yes there is a point where one can stop losing while not starving oneself - a 1200 cal deficit for this sedentary, older, 5'1 woman was a deficit until 105 lbs, then it became maintenance.

Take a break and eat at maintenance for a week or 2, then either continue eating at 1200 or switch to your goal weight maintenance a little early.

Cheers, h.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

So you are already at a healthy weight and looking to lose vanity lbs, nothing wrong with that. But progress will be really slow and easily hide behind water weight fluctuations. For my last 10 lbs, I sometimes wouldn't see the scale move for 2 or 3 months, then all of a sudden I'd be down 2 lbs. You say you are using a food scale, which is awesome. If there is anything you eat regularly that you aren't weighing, try to do that a few times to make sure your portions are on point. Also double check that the entries you are using in the database are accurate (lots of them are wrong), and try not to use generic or recipe-style entries you didn't create yourself. When you have a lot of weight to lose, you have more wiggle room with your logging but once you get down to the nitty gritty it's all hands on deck :) With your stats and having a little one to chase, 1200 cals is lower than you should need to go, barring a medical condition.

I would agree with changing your setting to "maintenance" for a couple of weeks and then getting back at it. If you can add in some home workouts in the near future, you might actually find that getting more "fit" will make you happier than losing more weight, but regardless patience will be a key. Hang in there and good luck!
    If you look at what your maintenance will be at your goal weight you will be able to see how big a deficit 1200 cals is giving you.

I am 5'1 and lost on 1200 plus 200 exercise calories. I went from 130-100-105 maintenance. It took a year, and the last few lbs were so slow weekly weight loss was imperceptible. But it did happen.

At about the 115 mark, when my loss started to slow I checked what my maintenance would be at sedentary. It was 1200 on MFP, (so the same as what my deficit was) it was also in that ball park with other calculators. I also have a BMR of about 950-1000 depending on the calculator used. (I'm old, small, and light, so the numbers are correct)

So to answer your question, yes there is a point where one can stop losing while not starving oneself - a 1200 cal deficit for this sedentary, older, 5'1 woman was a deficit until 105 lbs, then it became maintenance.

Take a break and eat at maintenance for a week or 2, then either continue eating at 1200 or switch to your goal weight maintenance a little early.

Cheers, h.

Thank you both for the helpful tips and advice!! I think my body got use to the idea of only taking in 1,200 calories since I’ve been doing it for so long, I think a diet break would be beneficial!