Keto uugghhh

Options
I have three cookbooks, have bought a few tools to help me, and I have no idea where to start. How do you make sure that you stay in your fat, protein, net carbs and make sure you consume the right amount of calories without having to go over? Do you just throw things together or do you get as close as you can? I have done that the stupid Kato calculator from 7 different sites I think and gotten different results every time. This is really frustrating.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    If its to complicated for you before you even start i have to ask, Why are you doing keto? Its not necessary many do it because that way of eating comes semi naturally to them and it satiates them. All you need is a calorie deficit, No reason to over complicate it by changing your entire way of eating- Which it sounds like from your struggles your doing.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm with @jaydedmiss in that if it's too hard for you to even know where to start, it might not be an ideal WOE (way of eating) for you, but for questions about keto, I suggest you go to the Low Carber Daily Group, request to join, and ask your questions in there. Many of the members of that group don't always venture onto the forums.

Link to group: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    tumblr_miwm3rGn9K1r0ix14o1_500.gif
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It seems overwhelming now but once you start you'll see it really is not that hard. :)

Weigh your food and log everything at first if you are unsure of calories. The first few weeks are a bit of a pain entering food calories and macros, but once you have your lists of common foods it gets easier. Get as close as you can to calories and macros, and if you have to estimate calories, it helps to estimate high.

Carbs are under 20-50g. That is up to about 10% for most people. Try not to exceed your carb limit, or calorie limit, but over by a few carbs is no big deal. For protein, most people go moderate of about 25% while losing. Fat is the rest.

Just dive in. If you are worried, try pre logging some meals.
    Good luck!
  • Gregory_Horton
    Gregory_Horton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the modified Atkins diet.
  • missyb32656
    missyb32656 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Try www.dietdoctor.com this website is full of information and meal plans for getting started.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You can try other things too. Or just try what you can and adjust as you go.
  • anniemc9
    anniemc9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started the Keto diet October 3rd. My starting weight was 248lbs. and I've lost 42lbs. I was very overwhelmed when I first started too. For me the first 1 week I only had 2 different meals. I ate only 10 grams of net carbs per day. (I eat about 15grams net carbs now.) Then the next week I added another and so on. At first my only veggies were mixed salad and broccoli. Now I am eating a large variety of things and using mfp food log helps me with calories and macronutients. The hardest part is starting, and once you get the sugar out of your body you will feel great!

Good luck!
  • Jaydensmamma
    Jaydensmamma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There is no need to stress about it when you are first starting out. I consume mostly protein, and whike that is said to be not good for the diet because it could be converted to glucose, I am still losing weight. I personally am trying to get closer to that ratio Im supposed to be at but Im not stressing about it either. I eat what I want and if I make it to 100g of fat the good, if I dont then whatever. I normally have about 100 or more calories to play with at the end of the day and that is where yoh can get more of what you need in if you feel like you need to. Just dont make keto so complicated that you quit before you get the benefits.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There is no need to stress about it when you are first starting out. I consume mostly protein, and whike that is said to be not good for the diet because it could be converted to glucose, I am still losing weight. I personally am trying to get closer to that ratio Im supposed to be at but Im not stressing about it either. I eat what I want and if I make it to 100g of fat the good, if I dont then whatever. I normally have about 100 or more calories to play with at the end of the day and that is where yoh can get more of what you need in if you feel like you need to. Just dont make keto so complicated that you quit before you get the benefits.

High protein (well over 200g) can slow ketosis a bit but that is only an issue for those who need high ketones for medical reasons. For most, extra protein is no problem. Plus gluconeogenesis is demand driven - high protein does not trigger it.

Sounds like you are doing well. :)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Regardless of your eating style, I find prelogging and then playing around with your serving size helps a lot. I often change the proportions of a planned meal or add something in order to make my numbers look better. Kind of like Tetris but with food :).

LOL...That sounds like me when trying to "squeeze" in every last calorie I can so I end up just barely under my target calories for the day!

• getslim10373
    getslim10373 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do what they call lazy keto. I don't log what I eat every day, but just a few days a week to see if I'm keeping 'around' the recommended macros. I too found all the macro calculators very confusing. On the days I do log, I am usually over the protein allowance. I don't stress about it, on average I lose 800grams up to 1kg a week. Some days I have only dinner, but most often lunch as well. I just do what my gut tells me, I have lunch if I am hungry and don't if I'm not. I don't make all the awesome looking keto meals either, but mostly just because I'm lazy lol, but I did hear its best to try not to replace all the high carb foods (bread, pasta etc) we use to eat anyway. Good luck :-)