Is there a point when it all stops?

Options
13»

Replies

• WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I also recommend when you finish your diet break to set your goals to 0.5 lb/week loss. I’m 5’3 117lbs so very similar to your stats and you should get about 100 more calories. You don’t have enough weight to lose for an aggressive goal and keeping your calories up does your body way better in the long run.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I also recommend when you finish your diet break to set your goals to 0.5 lb/week loss. I’m 5’3 117lbs so very similar to your stats and you should get about 100 more calories. You don’t have enough weight to lose for an aggressive goal and keeping your calories up does your body way better in the long run.

I don’t get any more calories my maintenance is 1400
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    Options
    That’s super strange that you’re getting that at half a pound a week, I get 1280 and I’m at sedentary. Are you sure everything is entered correctly?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dfein001 wrote: »
    When your BMI is within a healthy range.

Then how do anorexics go far below a healthy BMI?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    dfein001 wrote: »
    When your BMI is within a healthy range.

Then how do anorexics go far below a healthy BMI?

Or I believe somewhere in the area of 25% of the globe, for that matter?
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    Options
    The OP didn’t mean when do you stop losing weight, but when do you stop losing weight healthily because she’s eating the lowest amount of calories and not losing. Anorexics and people dying of starvation aren’t considered healthy. I would think for someone who is 5’3, you’d still be losing on 1200 until you were about 90 lbs, but would be considered underweight at 104 by BMI scales.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've skimmed through the replies, if you aren't losing weight there's something off with your logging. While you are at a healthy weight if there was a calorie deficit you would lose.
    I'm a little shorter and maintain on 1950-2000 calories so if I wanted to lost 0.5lb a week I'd eat 1700 calories. I'm lightly active. If I was sedentary I would eat 1450 and still lose. So again I would say something is off and if you're sure about your food logging then maybe its time to have some medical advice.

(Someone please post that not losing weight chart thank you :smile:)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Is there a point where your body stops losing weight? Where it’s at the lowest it’ll get without you starving yourself completely? And if there is a point how do you know you’ve reached that point?

Yes, of course. There would come a point where you would either stop losing weight or have to drop your calories to a level that would not provide adequate nutrition in order to keep losing.

I'm not sure why are asking this question but it's very troubling.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Just to eliminate any other variables, you may want to double check your electronic food scale. Put something of a known weight on it and make sure the reading makes sense.

I just had to replace my scale. I caught the error quickly because I was weighing a meal that I eat often and three different components in a row came up about half what I would have guessed. So to check it I threw a pound of butter on there (still in the cardboard and paper, but that would add very little weight), and the scale read 8.3 ounces. So my scale just randomly decided to start reading half the true weight. It was a walmart cheapy, so I guess it's to be expected that it wouldn't last forever.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Just to eliminate any other variables, you may want to double check your electronic food scale. Put something of a known weight on it and make sure the reading makes sense.

...So my scale just randomly decided to start reading half the true weight. It was a walmart cheapy, so I guess it's to be expected that it wouldn't last forever.

Usually, replacing the batteries fixes this. Wonky weights for known items is the first clue for dying batteries.

• rickiimarieee
    Options
    That’s super strange that you’re getting that at half a pound a week, I get 1280 and I’m at sedentary. Are you sure everything is entered correctly?

Yes I’m sedentary and it doesn’t go up
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »

...So my scale just randomly decided to start reading half the true weight. It was a walmart cheapy, so I guess it's to be expected that it wouldn't last forever.

Usually, replacing the batteries fixes this. Wonky weights for known items is the first clue for dying batteries.

Good tips guys!! I’ll have to keep this in mind!!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

I just had to replace my scale. I caught the error quickly because I was weighing a meal that I eat often and three different components in a row came up about half what I would have guessed. So to check it I threw a pound of butter on there (still in the cardboard and paper, but that would add very little weight), and the scale read 8.3 ounces. So my scale just randomly decided to start reading half the true weight. It was a walmart cheapy, so I guess it's to be expected that it wouldn't last forever.
    Good tip mine is a digital one from Walmart as well!!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

Have you been measuring yourself? You may be losing fat and inches still but the weight stays the same due to building muscle. I don't know your fitness routine, but this happens a lot. Also, not all calories are created equal. Dive back into your food journal and evaluate what you are eating. Can you change up your macros? Etc.

I didn’t really think macros mattered. But I’m pretty sedentary other than taking care of a baby and cooking and cleaning. I don’t work out
  • rickiimarieee
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Is there a point where your body stops losing weight? Where it’s at the lowest it’ll get without you starving yourself completely? And if there is a point how do you know you’ve reached that point?

Yes, of course. There would come a point where you would either stop losing weight or have to drop your calories to a level that would not provide adequate nutrition in order to keep losing.

I'm not sure why are asking this question but it's very troubling.

I’m asking because I have 7 pounds until my goal weight and I was wondering if this is the weight my body is stuck at with 1,200 calories. (Been stuck at 127 for months). Like I’m asking if I’m stuck at this weight forever if I keep eating 1,200 calories. Does this make sense?
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    The OP didn’t mean when do you stop losing weight, but when do you stop losing weight healthily because she’s eating the lowest amount of calories and not losing. Anorexics and people dying of starvation aren’t considered healthy. I would think for someone who is 5’3, you’d still be losing on 1200 until you were about 90 lbs, but would be considered underweight at 104 by BMI scales.

This is exactly what I mean. I thought I made it clear by saying in the post by not starving yourself completely. But yeah I think at 104 is 18% which is considered underweight. I mean I’m at 127 so I have 23 pounds of adjustable weight. I just really wanna hit that goal of 120 Yano.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »

Replacing the battery was the first thing I did. I ended up just buying a new scale.