Is Keto any good?

Options

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hi Westjemma, I have been where you are. I did all the diets. Atkins, Bernstein, HCG, Weight Watchers etc. What finally worked for me was finding a path to what I could do for life. Low carb at first seems awesome and it does work for some people who aren't big carb eaters. For me I got so I felt like I'd sell my soul for a potato, lol. My advice to you is find how many calories you need to lose a consistent amount of weight weekly (and don't try to lose it all at once) and then pick foods that fit in that calorie allowance. If you like fat and protein you can reduce carbs to help control cravings but find something you can live with for life. It took me 2 years to get 87 pounds off but I can live with this for good now and I have never felt better. Losing weight is a journey to find a way to maintain not just a way to lose then go back to eating "normally". Our normal is what landed us in trouble in the first place. Good luck kiddo, you can do this.
  • Gregory_Horton
    Gregory_Horton Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I used to run a keto diet to lean out, but I hated the transition back and forth from very low carb to a more balanced macro profile. The transition between the two always made me feel horrible during that period.

Today I follow a more balanced macro plan (50/30/20) and start my diet earlier for my summer physique. It's all about choices and I am not knocking the keto plan or modified Atkins plan at all. Just food for thought if you're considering a keto diet, be prepared for the transition.
  • InAPairOfChucks
    InAPairOfChucks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!"

All kidding aside, I have a few friends who are on Keto and have had major success. With that said, it's not necessarily Keto that has made them lose the weight but being in a caloric deficit. Keto is just what works best for them to remain in a consistent caloric deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    westjemma wrote: »
    I fill myself up on carbs so I'm under no illusion that reducing this is probably going to be unsustainable.
    I currently set my macros to 125p 75f and 205c This leaves me just shy of 2000kcal per day (a lot less than my current circa 3500 per day).
    If anyone has any tips then I will be ultimately greatful. As above, this feels like a minefield!
    That is a lot of protein, and reducing your calorie intake by 1/3 is hard enough, so I would aim to avoid having to face as many hurdles as possible. An unbalanced, boring diet is one of the biggest hurdles to weightloss. If you reduce protein target to, say, 80-100 grams, and just regard that as a minimum, you'll still be eating plenty of protein, and have more room for any food you like.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Kind of a long post ahead here, but I want to make sure to give you some of the great feedback that others gave to me when I first started.

Keto for me has been a life saver. I look at Keto as more of a medical/healing/metabolic diet hack for those you have extremely damaged metabolisms. It's a significant lifestyle change that isn't necessary for those who have healthy metabolisms, no markers of disease and just need to drop 20-30 pounds. So make sure you do your research to determine if you need to go full keto or if you can reach your goals with just low carb (or some other standard CICO diet). Also, really consider making Keto a way of life instead of a diet. This is a powerful tool that will hack your metabolism and fundamentally change the way you burn fat, store fat, burn energy, etc. So I don't suggest playing around with it casually. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST, get them on board. If you have already done the research and you are confident that Keto is for you, then it will possibly change your life, your health and your control over food. Again, Keto has been a miracle for me. There is an initial Swoosh of weight loss that can be really motivating, but after that initial weight loss, keto becomes very similar to other diets in that you must stick closely to your macros, get some exercise and stay committed. Keto's advantage is that it is easier to do all of these things because of the quality of food that you eat and how it works to satisfy you and keep you full.

Also, keto DOES NOT require you to avoid all fruit and veggies. Some veggies/fruit are relatively high in carbs, so those should be avoided, but raspberries, strawberries, blueberries are part of the keto diet. Lower carb higher fiber veggies are also ok. Higher carb veggies will fall into the "if it fits your macros" category. You will have to experiment to see how many carbs/what type of carbs you can tolerate and still remain in Ketosis. So here are my tips for going keto:

1) Make sure to set your macros correctly. Someone above gave the specifics. (less than 20 g carbs, protein grams based on lean body weight and fat to round it out. This site will help tremendously with figuring out your macros
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/6b3s4550xzwl.png

2) If you don't feel well under Keto and you start to experience problems, then switch to a Low Carb instead of strict Keto or possibly go with a different diet. Keto is not for everyone. Listen to your body

3) During the first week or so while you are becoming Keto adapted, you will not feel your best. Keep your magnesium and potassium up. There are hundreds of articles there on KETO FLU and how to work through it. After the first couple of weeks, you should begin to feel much better. If you do not, please refer to #2

4) Join support groups and forums. There are so many WONDERFUL forums that can help you through the Ketogenic lifestyle. Also watch some of the youtube videos. Start with Butter Bob-butter makes your pants fall off, Keto Christine and Two Keto Dudes (they actually healed type 2 diabetes through Keto)

5) Friend me =0) I am five months into Keto and down 61 pounds. I have reversed my pre-diabetes, my BP is perfect, cholesterol is perfect and for the first time in 15 years, I am on my way to weighing less than 200 pounds. But I use Keto as a lifestyle not a diet. And I plan to continue eating this way even after I reach goal weight. My fat loss has been amazing with very little lean muscle loss. I have a dexascan scheduled for Feb in order to get the exact percentages but preliminary tests looked good.

6) I strongly suggest that you count Total Carbs, not NET carbs. Once you get acclimated and understand how your body responds, then you can make decisions

There is a TON of scientific research to support this WOE for certain individuals. I wish you luck. Enjoy the Keto journey.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    Hi all
    Thank you for this, although it feels somewhat of a mindfield.
    My previous dieting habits have been Weight Watchers and, ten years ago, I managed to lose 56ib/4 stone, which was great until I slowly started putting it back on, and some.
    I have since tried Weight Watchers (unsuccessful) and Slimming World (again unsuccessful).
    I'd recently contemplated doing Slimming World again (namely for group support) but I thought I would try looking at macros, and kcal intake in the first instance. However a friend of mine suggested Keto which I'm now open to looking at.
    My current situation: Im 5 foot 5. Very sedentary (I use to run a a lot and did crossfit but it's just too painful on my joints at the moment).
    I'm gluten intolerant and now, due to increased weight, have become insulin resistant.
    I'd like to get to a healthy weight before looking at muscle mass, that's the ultimate goal, but for now I need to get my lifestyle in check, which means losing 70ib/5 stone (this will be a journey).
    I fill myself up on carbs so I'm under no illusion that reducing this is probably going to be unsustainable.
    I currently set my macros to 125p 75f and 205c This leaves me just shy of 2000kcal per day (a lot less than my current circa 3500 per day).
    If anyone has any tips then I will be ultimately greatful. As above, this feels like a minefield!

I too am a carb lover - and this is my week 1 on Keto. Honestly, I haven't really craved sweets or carbohydrates at all and I am almost 1 week in (started on 1/1/18). It sounds like with your health issues, Keto would be an AMAZING option for you. If you put your mind to it, and get through the first week or two, you will do fine. Your body will lose it's "addiction" to carbs like bread, etc. Plus, you still get to eat a decent amount of carbohydrates. Just fibrous carbs that come from veggies, fruits, berries, etc.

I was eating lots before Keto (oh god, I don't even know how much). I am now satisfied after eating about 1500 kcal's per day, and that's with one bulletproof coffee in the morning and three meals that I have between noon and 7pm (for intermittent fasting). I have already noticed increased energy, and decreased inflammation (I have TONS of joint issues both from being over 300lb and from past injuries which have left me with arthritis in both knees, my left ankle, etc - plus I have had multiple surgeries on my left leg and knee already, at age 30, due to some of those injuries & associated nerve damage).

Definitely contact me! I am going to send this to you in an e-mail as well :)

-Heather
  • kalbo_al
    kalbo_al Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just completed a 30 day trial of a very strict Keto diet and I lost about 15lbs. With that being said, I've altered to a more "Keto Lite" diet. I increased the carbs I eat and I decreased the fat (bacon, processed foods, etc.) that Keto allows. I still incorporate keto by staying away from too much carbs and from the beginning I've completely cut out any fast food, empty calories, etc. Like others have said, there is not right or wrong answer. The bottom line is calories in vs out. The best advice I would give is track what you are eating as best you can and pay close attention to the macros associated with "good" vs "bad" carbs as well as vitamins, sugars, fiber and fats. At the end of the day you want to be healthier and feel better without feeling deprived. Also remember, you don't have to be perfect. If you slip up and eat something you know you shouldn't, it's not the end of the world. Just work it day-to-day and you will eventually get the results. Good luck!
  • hopiemama33
    hopiemama33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Like kalbo_al above I sort of do "Keto Lite." I try to keep net carbs under 50 grams and calories around 1400 (I am only 5'2"). I've lost around 25 pounds, starting at 212 and now 187. My A1c went from 9.1 to 6.6 in the first 60 days. I have another appt with labs in February and I anticipate that it will be even better. I'd say if you have developed insulin resistance that your macros should lean toward low carb. I crave SUGAR and I LOVE potatoes and bread. If I eliminate them from my daily diet I don't have the struggle of limiting my portions, which I am basically terrible at and why I became a 200 pound woman! I've let myself have them about one day a week and I am able to do that. Technically that is not "keto" at all because it will not maintain your body in the state of ketosis. I know I can't go without bread, chocolate, or french fries for the rest of my life. I know I can limit it to about one day a week and be happy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    Kind of a long post ahead here, but I want to make sure to give you some of the great feedback that others gave to me when I first started.

Keto for me has been a life saver. I look at Keto as more of a medical/healing/metabolic diet hack for those you have extremely damaged metabolisms. It's a significant lifestyle change that isn't necessary for those who have healthy metabolisms, no markers of disease and just need to drop 20-30 pounds. So make sure you do your research to determine if you need to go full keto or if you can reach your goals with just low carb (or some other standard CICO diet). Also, really consider making Keto a way of life instead of a diet. This is a powerful tool that will hack your metabolism and fundamentally change the way you burn fat, store fat, burn energy, etc. So I don't suggest playing around with it casually. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST, get them on board. If you have already done the research and you are confident that Keto is for you, then it will possibly change your life, your health and your control over food. Again, Keto has been a miracle for me. There is an initial Swoosh of weight loss that can be really motivating, but after that initial weight loss, keto becomes very similar to other diets in that you must stick closely to your macros, get some exercise and stay committed. Keto's advantage is that it is easier to do all of these things because of the quality of food that you eat and how it works to satisfy you and keep you full.

Also, keto DOES NOT require you to avoid all fruit and veggies. Some veggies/fruit are relatively high in carbs, so those should be avoided, but raspberries, strawberries, blueberries are part of the keto diet. Lower carb higher fiber veggies are also ok. Higher carb veggies will fall into the "if it fits your macros" category. You will have to experiment to see how many carbs/what type of carbs you can tolerate and still remain in Ketosis. So here are my tips for going keto:

1) Make sure to set your macros correctly. Someone above gave the specifics. (less than 20 g carbs, protein grams based on lean body weight and fat to round it out. This site will help tremendously with figuring out your macros
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/6b3s4550xzwl.png

2) If you don't feel well under Keto and you start to experience problems, then switch to a Low Carb instead of strict Keto or possibly go with a different diet. Keto is not for everyone. Listen to your body

3) During the first week or so while you are becoming Keto adapted, you will not feel your best. Keep your magnesium and potassium up. There are hundreds of articles there on KETO FLU and how to work through it. After the first couple of weeks, you should begin to feel much better. If you do not, please refer to #2

4) Join support groups and forums. There are so many WONDERFUL forums that can help you through the Ketogenic lifestyle. Also watch some of the youtube videos. Start with Butter Bob-butter makes your pants fall off, Keto Christine and Two Keto Dudes (they actually healed type 2 diabetes through Keto)

5) Friend me =0) I am five months into Keto and down 61 pounds. I have reversed my pre-diabetes, my BP is perfect, cholesterol is perfect and for the first time in 15 years, I am on my way to weighing less than 200 pounds. But I use Keto as a lifestyle not a diet. And I plan to continue eating this way even after I reach goal weight. My fat loss has been amazing with very little lean muscle loss. I have a dexascan scheduled for Feb in order to get the exact percentages but preliminary tests looked good.

6) I strongly suggest that you count Total Carbs, not NET carbs. Once you get acclimated and understand how your body responds, then you can make decisions

There is a TON of scientific research to support this WOE for certain individuals. I wish you luck. Enjoy the Keto journey.

This is all great advice. I would only add that increasing sodium will reduce the need to increase magnesium and potassium.

Most people who do a ketogenic who stick with it seem to do so for a couple of reasons:

1. It improved their health (IR, PCOS, NAFLD, CVD, dementia, autoimmune inflammation, migraines) to such a degree that eating carbs are not worth the trade off.

2. It allowed people greater control of the appetite and satiety. I used to fill up on carbs too. The problem was that it did not leave me full for long and I was shaky and hungry just 2-3 hours later. The keto diet reduced my appetite, greatly reduced my carb cravings, and helped me replace refined or sugary carbs with more healthful and nutritious foods. I too am gluten free and know that gluten free substitute foods are lacking nutrition.

For people who see themselves above, keto is sustainable for years or even life. If you experience no great benefits, most will not bother restricting carbs like breads, cereals, rice, noodles or grapes. It is a bit inconvenient.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    abbefaria4 wrote: »
    People talk about the calorie deficit with respect to the keto diet, but what is the cause of the deficit.

Depends. Some people just log calories, so same as everyone else. Others naturally reduce calories because they are eating in a way they find more filling. Just as likely it's because people are cutting out foods they were in the habit of overeating or changing their diet a lot and it takes a while to find replacement foods so you just end up undereating. When I first dieted I did something similar, cut down on some things without increasing portions of others to compensate so calories were really low. (Similarly when I went 100% plant-based one Lent I lost a bunch of weight not feeling hungry and not meaning to (I wasn't dieting), because I'd cut out a bunch of foods I'd normally eat more mindlessly.)
    I've read an alternate theory that says it's very hard to find foods with the correct ration of fats to carbs so people just end up eating less.

It's really not. You don't need foods with a specific ratio of fats to carbs, and it's not that hard to find high fat foods.

If carbs/starches fill you up or you need volume, it might be harder to be satisfied.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    abbefaria4 wrote: »
    People talk about the calorie deficit with respect to the keto diet, but what is the cause of the deficit. Is it that your appetite is suppressed so one naturally eats less calories? I've read an alternate theory that says it's very hard to find foods with the correct ration of fats to carbs so people just end up eating less. If so, the hunger pangs would likely make this diet hard to maintain. Does anyone have any experience with this diet or know of any research to shed light on this? Thanks.

Some people find that eating a lot of dietary fat is satiating and thus they do not have hunger or hunger pangs...I am not one of those people.

Beyond that, basically cutting out an entire macro-nutrient is likely to lead to a calorie deficit for most people.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Keto can be good if:

1. You have diabetes or IR
    2. You are satiated by fat
    3. You are not a volume eater
    4. You do not enjoy carb foods such as fruits, oats, legumes

Really, the best diet is the one that you can sustain and comply with.

But of all maro based diets, high protein > all. Protein helps maintain muscle and metabolic functions, burns more calories through digestion and has the higher satiety factor.

Keto is inferior if:

1. You like volume foods
    2. You are satiated by carbs
    3. You partake in anearobic exercise or ultra endurance events.

ETA: if you do keto, you will need close to 5000mg of sodium.

Keto is well suited to ultra endurance events - it is certainly not inferior. For example, I believe the 100 mile record holder in the U.S. uses a ketogenic diet. I think his name is Bitter? Keto tends to cut down on GI problems too which is often a factor for those with a DNF in long events.

For very short explosive exercise, like a 100 m race, fats may not be as good of a fuel as glucose. I agree with you there.

Bold is false and has been explained to you multiple times.

You need more oxygen when you are using a higher proportion of fat for fuel - a.k.a. working harder, the exact opposite of what you want to happen.
    You also lose some ability to utilise carbs, even with event specific carb loading and fuelling.

Elite athletes, and even recreational athletes, follow the most successful protocols - which is why the vast majority of endurance athletes are carb monsters.
  • Gregory_Horton
    Gregory_Horton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lord this thread went off the rails. :o
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi all
    I'm gluten intolerant and now, due to increased weight, have become insulin resistant.
    With the insulin resistance that being overweight is causing, just cutting calories is not going to fix your health. If you eat limited calories, but very high carb and high glycemic index, it will continue to make your insulin resistance worse and likely lead you to become fully diabetic.

The absolute best thing you can do to control your blood sugar levels is to control your carb intake.

For "filling up" use veggies with low net carbs (total carbs - fiber) and eat whatever protein and fat that you want. I know the calorie counters are gonna hate this, but Keto/atkins/low carb are NOT About calories, they are about CARBS. I have done atkins in the past, and lost a lot of weight. It didn't matter how many total calories, as long as I kept net carbs around 20 per day, I would lose on average a little under 1 pound per week.

Being gluten intolerant, you've already had to cut out a lot of the most common carbs (bread, pasta, pastries) and probably a lot of packaged foods as well. Cut out other grains like rice and corn and starchy vegetables like potatoes. Cut out anything with added sugar and limit fruits to lower carb fruits like tomatoes, avocado, small servings of berries.

My problem was that I kept looking at Atkins as a "diet" and after reaching my goal, I stopped, gained all the weight back plus 2x more over the following years. I was diagnosed diabetic about a year ago. I am starting off the new year with Keto. I have to adjust my mindset to this being a permanent lifestyle change, because this is the ONLY thing that I can do to keep blood sugar levels under control without being dependent on taking a lot of very expensive medications that have terrible side effects.

You probably are more satiated by carbs. But science has repeatedly found that calories are the only thing that matters for weight loss. Adjustments in macros can support specific goals, address medical conditions and sustainability.

Day in and out people complain about why they arent losing weight following a diet protocol and each time its found they arent tracking and eating too many calories. This occurs whether they are keto, vegan, or anywhere in between.