Keto

Options
Hi,

I'm a newbie and just trying to find what will work for me. I've heard good things about keto and am interested in others experiences with it.

If you are on the keto diet please comments your thoughts, pros and cons.

Or

If you have any information worth sharing that would be great.

Replies

• shesadime22
    shesadime22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What will work for you is consistently being in a calorie deficit - you don't need to follow a specific "diet" or restrict food groups to do this.

I personally don't like keto as I love vegetables and fruit, I'm a volume eater, I like carbs, I perform better with carbs, and I like the freedom of eating what I like, without feeling restricted in my food choices.

You're right. I know it's more about creating a calorie deficit and sticking to it. But I also feel like when there's guidelines I do better. I just want to be realistic with my choices. I don't mind a low carb diet or having restrictions.
  • aliciamay2007
    aliciamay2007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started KETO 3 days ago. So far so good. I am 67 years old and have tried every diet in the book incuding Weight Watchers. Trying to work on getting my numbers down (blood sugar, blood pressure, cholestrol). I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and have been told I have a fatty liver several years ago. My numbers are climbing. KETO is my last hope for a healthier lifestyle. I'm hoping that this forum will help me stay accountable since I am tracking my food and exercise daily. I could use all the support I can get cause it's not easy no matter the route.
  • pattycakes_bakersman
    Options
    Congrata on the change. You may get "keto flu" so be sure to keep your salt intake a bit high or supplement with sugar-free electrolyte drink mix. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • RechaelAndrea
    RechaelAndrea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of Keto-specific boards on here. Just search keto. You'll find what you want to learn there.

I recommend this site to help get started on Keto and calculate your macro balances and daily calorie intake based on your body:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjtuO3E2r3YAhUqxlQKHVpUDaQQFgg4MAI&url=https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/&usg=AOvVaw0RUJf11ryx4l-f3YZhGpGa
  • Peteypete1984
    Peteypete1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you like specific goals, try macros 40 carb, 30 fat 30 protein. Work out how many calories you need and eat at 10% less than that. You will lose weight without the fad diets ☺. Just take time and consistency. Good luck
  • cherbear1858
    cherbear1858 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have tried so many ways to lose weight. In late September, I started eating Keto without much forethought. I liked the health benefits associated with Keto. I have lost 35 pounds and have not felt deprived or experience any cravings. More importantly, I am feeling fantastic. I realize that Keto is not for everyone. Carbs are my downfall. Any carb will send me into a carbfest so I limit veggies to greens and infrequently cucumber and fruit to berries. I eat greens twice a day. Berries and marscarpone is my treat when I want something sweet.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've been doing the Keto lifestyle since the beginning of October. I've lost 33 pounds so far! I'm finally in ONEderland! I didn't think I'd ever get back down to here! Yes, I ate a calorie deficit at first. I've eaten at a calorie deficit before, but never made it below 200 pounds. Before, I'd also consume foods high in sugar. So even though I was eating at a calorie deficit, somehow my body didn't respond. But on Keto it did. Yesterday, my calories were over 2000. My TDEE is 2011 so I was around there. I lost a pound. So, if you think Keto can help you, definitely give it a go!

I suggest you join these 2 groups. They are highly informative and supportive. They are: The Low Carber Daily Group & Keto Group. Both groups are filled with resources, tips, recipes and support. Join them, and read through past discussions. Or post your own questions. Good luck on your journey!
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am transitioning again towards keto. I did it on vacation last year for 6 weeks and lost weight. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've been doing the Keto lifestyle since the beginning of October. I've lost 33 pounds so far! I'm finally in ONEderland! I didn't think I'd ever get back down to here! Yes, I ate a calorie deficit at first. I've eaten at a calorie deficit before, but never made it below 200 pounds. Before, I'd also consume foods high in sugar. So even though I was eating at a calorie deficit, somehow my body didn't respond. But on Keto it did. Yesterday, my calories were over 2000. My TDEE is 2011 so I was around there. I lost a pound. So, if you think Keto can help you, definitely give it a go!

I suggest you join these 2 groups. They are highly informative and supportive. They are: The Low Carber Daily Group & Keto Group. Both groups are filled with resources, tips, recipes and support. Join them, and read through past discussions. Or post your own questions. Good luck on your journey!

That is scientifically impossible, you mustn't of been in a deficit.

Keto only works if you consume less calories than you burn, it is a woe not magic.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What will work for you is consistently being in a calorie deficit - you don't need to follow a specific "diet" or restrict food groups to do this.

I personally don't like keto as I love vegetables and fruit, I'm a volume eater, I like carbs, I perform better with carbs, and I like the freedom of eating what I like, without feeling restricted in my food choices.

You're right. I know it's more about creating a calorie deficit and sticking to it. But I also feel like when there's guidelines I do better. I just want to be realistic with my choices. I don't mind a low carb diet or having restrictions.
    It's about nothing besides creating a calorie deficit and sticking to it. Everybody do better with guidelines. But guidelines must be reasonable and realistic in order to be effective. What's reasonable and realistic is part general (enough of everything you need every day, based on simple factors as sex, height, weight, activity level, and not too much of anything over time) and part individual (what YOU like and can stick to). If you're overweight, I honestly doubt you're fine with restrictions. Maybe restraint, which inevitably leads to disinhibition (aka yoyo-dieting), but if you know how to apply sensible restrictions, you would already have done that. But it's not too late to learn. Learning is a lifelong project, and so is weight management.
  • Jaydensmamma
    Jaydensmamma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just started keto recently and so far I have lost a pound for every day Ive been on it. It definitely eorks so far. I have more energy as well. As far as eating what you want, you can still make breads and sweets you just have to know what to use but so far I barely miss my carbs and sweets. The main downside for me is that if I want those things I have to be willing to make them and I cant just pick them up in stores....though there are some websites that sell keto bread and desserts.
  • Girlpowerforlife119
    Options
    Keto is not a long lasting diet. Can you really go without carbs in your life. Keto is not a diet you go on and off of you can get really sick. Our body needs carbs. We don't need a lot. Try just having one carb a day and following Me to then.
  • shesadime22
    shesadime22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love when others assume they know me well enough to tell me about what I know how to do based on my profile picture. I've lost weight since then. It's been 5 months since I originally started. I'm new to MFP not new to making changes. And I should be able to post questions about dieting and exercise without *kitten* responses. After all I know my body and habits better than anyone else.

As for those who have posted links and actual helpful advice thank you, I am checking them out now.
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    www.dietdoctor.com

lots of misinformation out there from novices..... keto helped me get off of T2 meds and control my blood sugar as well as cholesterol and triglycerides. I have lost 46 lbs since August and because the high fat curbs hunger, I now intermittent fast daily by skipping breakfast. (There are many health benefits to this per Dr. Jason Fung)

There are even many ultra athletes that have transitioned to keto/low carb so they have an unlimited supply of energy from their stored body fat. That allows them to never hit a "carb" wall while competing.
    (See Dr. Jeff Volek for his studies on this")
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are many around here who feel they should point out that a ketogenic diet is not needed for weight loss. While they are technically right, they tend not to point pipit that Leto can make weight loss easier for some of us and improves some peoples' health. It tends to be people who have never tried it or for whom it did not agree with.

For me, keto works. I do it most if the time and fine it made food intake control much easier and improved my health, which always makes weight loss easier for me.

Don't forget to increase sodium to 3000-5000 mg a day to avoid electrolyte imbalance (often called keto flu). That is about 2tsp of salt a day.

These two groups are great. It's where most low carbers and keto'ers hang out.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    manleyr14 wrote: »
    www.dietdoctor.com

lots of misinformation out there from novices..... keto helped me get off of T2 meds and control my blood sugar as well as cholesterol and triglycerides. I have lost 46 lbs since August and because the high fat curbs hunger, I now intermittent fast daily by skipping breakfast. (There are many health benefits to this per Dr. Jason Fung)

There are even many ultra athletes that have transitioned to keto/low carb so they have an unlimited supply of energy from their stored body fat. That allows them to never hit a "carb" wall while competing.
    (See Dr. Jeff Volek for his studies on this")

My dad is a 54 year old fire chief who has lost about 40lbs and come off of his insulin after doing about 6months of Keto.

I followed a similar diet during my pregnancy and lost 33 pounds last year. A few before, a couple pounds during and about 20 immediately following delivery. I did eat some grains and carbs during my pregnancy but always paired them with fat and protein.
  • AlexMorganMc
    AlexMorganMc Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Keto gal here! It was recommended to me by my doctor and DEXA scan technician after CICO and vegetarianism alone failed to bring down my blood sugar. Keto is what took me from pre-diabetic after my pregnancy to totally healthy blood sugar. It gave me energy I hadn't felt in years and is responsible for a serious upswing in my health. I've had a neurological condition my whole Life, and the reduction of health problems has allowed me to finally be able to focus on working with my doctor on just those symptoms, not the other conditions that had begun to flair up around it.

As I posted on another thread, keto is not about an *entire* reduction of carbs. Rather, it's about keeping *net* carbs under 50 grams, getting adequate protein, and filling the rest of the macro space with fats. You can make keto as healthy or unhealthy as you like, which is how any diet works. (I say this as a reminder to those who like to make some outrageous claims about keto.)

This is a great calculator for figuring out how your macros will look if you do keto: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

CICO still applies for weight loss. Keto isn't a magical talisman that grants weight loss just by being on it. However, keto can seriously help with satiety and give more energy, both of which can be contributors in helping some people lose weight.

Keto is not the only way to be healthy or lose weight. It isn't for everyone. However, for the people it works for (like me), it can have a major impact on their health and weight. If you're curious, I'd say go for it.

OP, (and anyone looking for a keto buddy, really) feel free to add me. My diary is open to friends and I'm really active on here. Rock on, fellow ketophiles.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Keto only works if you consume less calories than you burn, it is a woe not magic.

Well I declare...I (along with others) must be a medical marvel then! Sorry if you don't believe me, but it's true. I guess you could say I was in a deficit by about 7 calories. I weighed in at 194.4 the morning before then weighed the next morning 193.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Well I declare...I (along with others) must be a medical marvel then! Sorry if you don't believe me, but it's true. I guess you could say I was in a deficit by about 7 calories. I weighed in at 194.4 the morning before then weighed the next morning 193.

I would guess it was inaccurate logging or not having your cals out calculated properly, as every tool out there is an estimate. the change in weight from one day to the next would be 90% water, as fat loss is slower than that. if you gain or lose a lot over a couple days or a week, it will be water retention related, not fat or muscle gain or loss