Going Keto!

Options
Hi beautiful people :)

I gained about 8 kilos on the past year, didn't have time to workout due to work and ate everything i could while at the office :(

I want to try the Keto diet and i wanted to get some help/advise!

If anyone has had success or not with this, i'm interested in all stories and tips!

Your help will be appreciated <3

Thank you and love to all!

Replies

• LilMamaz707
    LilMamaz707 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I too am beginning my keto diet this year. I have bought a few books and looked online for information on it. Hopefully it seems simple enough :) Feel free to add me
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can lose "weight" on a keto diet, yes - but to either believe or claim that it's a magical panacea of "lose only fat while doing nothing!" is a fool's errand.

Caveat: I'm not a keto dieter, simply because it's not for me. That being said, any keto-er I've known who's been serious about health and fitness will tell you that your body simply will not maintain its musculature in the absence of exercise (ideally some form of resistance training), no matter what diet or protocol you're following. That's what lands people in "skinny-fat jail". There is no diet on the face of this Earth that will replace exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cdlee05mfp wrote: »
    I've done keto and it works extremely well and i can tell you that it absolutely does NOT rely on a calorie deficit to lose weight, in fact i was eating MORE calories then normal and the pounds were melting off. Here's my few pointers about it:

Nope - now way. Every single weight loss plan....EVERY ONE relies on a calorie deficit. If you truely are the exception to this you need to be studied by medical professionals.

Your body is burning fat! Of course it is. Keto dieters ingest lots of fat, so ingested fat becomes fuel.

If you are eating at a deficit your body is not storing fat......that's the same whether you are ingesting fat or ingesting carbs. If you are eating at a surplus you are gaining weight.
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried keto but ultimately found it to be another fad that I couldn't keep up with. It's a tough diet to stick to because there are so many foods you cannot eat. I am much happier now just counting calories and not restricting any foods. I eat what I want and still lose weight and there's no stress. I think any diet that restricts certain foods is a diet many people can't stick to long term. When I was on keto, if I craved something sweet and caved in, then the "diet" was blown, my body was thrown out of ketosis and I felt like a failure. But now when I crave something like that, I eat it, make it fit with my calories, and move on. No stress.
  • cdlee05mfp
    cdlee05mfp Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    But if your TDEE is 2000, and you consume 4000 calories of "keto" food every day, you WILL gain weight. It's physically impossible not to. [/quote]

I totally agree with this. My tip for someone starting keto is because it's obviously a very high fat/low carb diet is to focus on where your macros line up. Eventually there will be some days at calorie deficit and some with calorie surplus due to suppressed appetite. I believe that in the beginning of keto especially (and i'm sharing only my experience) it is more beneficial to focus on your macros then count calories. That does NOT mean automatically eating 4000 calories everyday but I do think on keto it's better to eat until you feel satiated. Quitting carbs AND feeling hungry at the same time is a very easy way to fall off and in turn just binge on everything in sight.