Rapid fat gain after fat loss, how does that work?

2»

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    ggirgis44 wrote: »
    Scientifically speaking, I couldn't tell you. Speaking personally , I can tell you my experience -- yes, it's easy to gain weight. For me, maintenance is almost the same as losing the weight. This also depends on how much weight you've lost, as fat cells don't disappear, they simply shrink. If you've lost a lot of weight, then it's easier to regain.

I've lost 140 pounds, from 283 to 143. I lost the weight over a 10 year period, no crash dieting or anything crazy, eating 1200-1800 calories and going to the gym. As I lost more weight, it became increasingly difficult to shed the pounds, but I was vigilant and disciplined to see the extra fat gone, having spent years being overweight. To shed the last 25 pounds, I had to cut calories to 1000-1200 and walk an hour a day.
    Now, taking a few days during the holidays to eat some extra candies or even eating a slice of birthday cake two days in a row shows a 5-15 pound difference on the scale. During the month of December, I went from 145 to 160 within one month. Logically speaking, that should be an increase of 52,500 calories. However, I can honestly and assuredly say that my calories only approached 2,000 two separate times. My average calorie intake for December is ~1600 calories (up from my regular 1200).
    A few pounds is water weight, for sure, as increased carbs fill up glycogen levels -- but even going back to my regular routine for 2 weeks only gave me a loss of 4-5 pounds (and I look visibly fatter).
    I'm not really sure how to expound -- it's difficult. I now realize I must maintain my constant vigilance. This is why they say 95% of people who lose weight regain it.
    I'm now aiming back for the 140s and the future is bright -- already looking leaner in the mirror! I just have to be hungry pretty much everyday... and that's the truth! Willing to pay that price, though :-)

It is disconcerting that you could gain so much weight just from 2 pieces a cake or some extra candy during the holidays. Are you still logging and weighing? Do you do any strength training? Supposedly having more muscle can help burn more calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I lost 40+ lbs and have maintained that for going on 5 years without much issue...so I don't really know about any rapid fat regain as it hasn't happened to me. Depending on what I'm doing exercise wise, I maintain on about 2700-3000 calories per day...more if I"m actively training for an event.

As bulking goes, I'd spend more than just a couple of weeks in maintenance...it took me about a month at least just to dial that in as I kept losing weight. I'd personally focus on maintaining for awhile before I considered bulking. Also, I wouldn't consider bulking at anything more than about 12% BF at the most. Most people I know who do these cycles usually don't go into a bulk until they're about 10%.
  • the_prez3
    the_prez3 Posts: 58 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I lost 40+ lbs and have maintained that for going on 5 years without much issue...so I don't really know about any rapid fat regain as it hasn't happened to me. Depending on what I'm doing exercise wise, I maintain on about 2700-3000 calories per day...more if I"m actively training for an event.

As bulking goes, I'd spend more than just a couple of weeks in maintenance...it took me about a month at least just to dial that in as I kept losing weight. I'd personally focus on maintaining for awhile before I considered bulking. Also, I wouldn't consider bulking at anything more than about 12% BF at the most. Most people I know who do these cycles usually don't go into a bulk until they're about 10%.

Sounds like good advice that’s consistent with my research. Thanks.

• ggirgis44
    ggirgis44 Posts: 29 Member
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    ggirgis44 wrote: »
    Scientifically speaking, I couldn't tell you. Speaking personally , I can tell you my experience -- yes, it's easy to gain weight. For me, maintenance is almost the same as losing the weight. This also depends on how much weight you've lost, as fat cells don't disappear, they simply shrink. If you've lost a lot of weight, then it's easier to regain.

I've lost 140 pounds, from 283 to 143. I lost the weight over a 10 year period, no crash dieting or anything crazy, eating 1200-1800 calories and going to the gym. As I lost more weight, it became increasingly difficult to shed the pounds, but I was vigilant and disciplined to see the extra fat gone, having spent years being overweight. To shed the last 25 pounds, I had to cut calories to 1000-1200 and walk an hour a day.
    Now, taking a few days during the holidays to eat some extra candies or even eating a slice of birthday cake two days in a row shows a 5-15 pound difference on the scale. During the month of December, I went from 145 to 160 within one month. Logically speaking, that should be an increase of 52,500 calories. However, I can honestly and assuredly say that my calories only approached 2,000 two separate times. My average calorie intake for December is ~1600 calories (up from my regular 1200).
    A few pounds is water weight, for sure, as increased carbs fill up glycogen levels -- but even going back to my regular routine for 2 weeks only gave me a loss of 4-5 pounds (and I look visibly fatter).
    I'm not really sure how to expound -- it's difficult. I now realize I must maintain my constant vigilance. This is why they say 95% of people who lose weight regain it.
    I'm now aiming back for the 140s and the future is bright -- already looking leaner in the mirror! I just have to be hungry pretty much everyday... and that's the truth! Willing to pay that price, though :-)

It is disconcerting that you could gain so much weight just from 2 pieces a cake or some extra candy during the holidays. Are you still logging and weighing? Do you do any strength training? Supposedly having more muscle can help burn more calories.

Yes, sir. I bought a food scale two years ago, nearing my lowest weight (when I went from 168-143) to make sure I was doing everything in my power. I've logged for over 1200 days in a row (MFP shows 800 due to a one day discrepancy, which I really logged the day after :-]). I log every BLT (bite, lick, taste). That's how I've lost 140 pounds. It was not easy!
    I strength train 3x a week, once at the gym and twice at home. I believe I could up my calories if I took strength training more seriously -- I do strength training to maintain my LBM, but not really add (hard/impossible to do in a deficit).