Goal: 100 mile in Jan

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.9miles
    1/2 5miles
    1/3 13.1miles!
    1/4 5miles

So Virginia Beach is buried under 10-12 inches of snow!! It’s technically a blizzard because of the high winds and low visibility. Apparently, by definition, amount of accumulation does not a blizzard make.

Needless to say, I ran on the treadmill. Then I vacuumed the house, ate lunch, then bundled 3 kids up as best I could with what we have (not much) and sent them out. I bundled up and decided to shovel the driveway. I really only had to shovel half the driveway because there are 2 trucks parked in it, but holy cow! I feel like I ran a marathon... only on my arms! I know im going to be hurting tomorrow. I even proceeded to help my neighbor shovel her driveway, but had to go back inside when my hands/fingers started cramping painfully.

Everything is closed again tomorrow, so I will try to run on the treadmill again, but I’ll probably cut back the miles.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 5.0 km
    1/2 - 5.1 km
    1/3 - strength + walk
    1/4 - 5.7 km

15.8/80 km

Hormone-driven chocolate binge today and that's all I'm going to say about that. Run felt good, though. I'm going to miss daytime runs once I go back to work next week!

Upcoming Races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5K
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10K
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 15K
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
    9/2/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15K

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent you know the theory on negative splits? I couldn't do it but its logic is unquestionable. Most record marathons are run with negative splits. My father ran his best marathon with a much better pace on the last 10 km then the previous 20 miles.

Yep! I do! But since I have such poor pace control, it is not an option for me :lol:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    01/01/18 :::: 4.5 :::: 4.5
    01/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 4.5
    01/03/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 7.0
    01/04/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 10.0

It's a mess out there today, the snow really started coming down this afternoon. I had appointments this morning and didn't want to do anything outdoors when I saw how bad it was getting, so another day on the treadmill. Slow pace according to my Garmin, which was a full minute per mile slower than what the treadmill said. Oh well, 3 miles done for sure (I always go with the Garmin numbers, which are often faster than the treadmill pace, but today not so much).

Tonight's walk with the dog was a very pretty winter wonderland. A little cold but nothing like where we're headed over the next two days as it continues to snow and plummets in temp. Trying to figure out how the long run is going to happen without being too miserable. Saturday morning's long run group may be moved to an indoor track (first time that has happened as far as I can remember) but there's still the matter of driving there if it's bad. I may be tapering more than I planned, which doesn't sound too awful to me. Maybe a nice long swim instead.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent you know the theory on negative splits? I couldn't do it but its logic is unquestionable. Most record marathons are run with negative splits. My father ran his best marathon with a much better pace on the last 10 km then the previous 20 miles.

Yep! I do! But since I have such poor pace control, it is not an option for me :lol:

Try setting pace alarms on your watch? Something like 9:10 for too slow, and 8:45 for too fast...have it vibrate and it should help (theoretically).
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options

Decided to do a short run on the treadmill and then go to power vinyasa hot yoga. Not the greatest decision, I felt really light-headed and had to bag out on some parts of the yoga. Much tougher after the easy run than I expected. Probably not enough water or food on board either. Lesson learned for next time. I still have 6 sessions of this hot yoga studio left and I've kind of decided I don't really love it. I want my yoga to be more relaxing and less *kitten*-kicking. If I did it more maybe it wouldn't be, but I don't have time to commit to that and running.

@katharmonic I usually do yoga once a week but i refuse to do HOT yoga. Ugh. I just don't understand the appeal. Everything is harder and more uncomfortable when I am sweating my butt off. I get enough of that with running. I usually stick to a moderately paced Hatha or Vinyasa class - taught in a comfortable temp.

@amymoreorless I'm in agreement here. I thought it was pretty great the first time I did it, which is why I signed up for the multi-class package. But ugh, it's just too uncomfortable is right. They do have one night a week they do "restorative yoga" so maybe I'll check that out to use up the rest of my punches.

@skippygirlsmom - hush now on thinking about snow in Florida! Forecast for Key West looks like low to mid-70s for next weekend if that holds. Sounds okay to me (though a little humid for running maybe).
  • ddmm2013
    ddmm2013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    January goal: 75 miles

1/3 - 4.4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles

8.5/75 miles completed

It was about the same temperature today as it was yesterday, but no sun and it was cloudy so it seemed a lot colder. So today's run was not as fun as yesterday's, but I got it done. I sure feel for those of you on the east coast. Especially in the areas that aren't used to snow. Stay safe and warm.

exercise.png

• hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Total rest day today. I felt like absolute junk after work. We are now getting hit with another cold spell, supposed to be -32°C tomorrow.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

01.01.18 - 10 m. TM @ 8:30.
    01.02.18 - 9 m. TM @ 9:15.
    01.04.18 - 8 m. TM @ 9:22 / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.

January Goal - 220 total running miles. 4 Bike Rides of 15 - 20 miles.

Tentative Race Calendar:
    1.27 or 1.28 - Scheduling.
    3.4.18 - Little Rock Marathon
    4.7.18 - Yakima River Canyon Marathon
    5.6.18 - Flying Pig Marathon
    5.20.18 - IronMan 70.3 Chattanooga
    7.14.18 - IronMan 70.3 Muncie

MM - 7877

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Only 35 min on indoor bike today. It said that I got just about 8 miles. I had interviews for an open position I have at work and didn't get my swim in. Doing that tomorrow and getting back on the strict tri schedule on Saturday.
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Ended up being a rest day today... kind off I usually (starting last month...hahaha) have been running 1 mile on the treadmill prior to lifting but this morning all the treadmills were broken?!?! So I did my mile on the elliptical but when I started this I said I wouldn't count elliptical miles so 0.0 it is
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Goal is about 80-miles:

Mon: 6-miles fartlek (short hard efforts)
    Wed: 6-miles with Long Hills
    Fri: 4-miles with some long intervals and full recovery in-between
    Sat: 4-miles Easy to moderate effort