Cyclists

Replies

• nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    My new full suspension.Spesilized rumor ladies bike.
    yibpctpx2x8i.jpg
  • nelja
    How many kilometers have you done last year? I did 3600km.Which is really good for me.The year before , I did only 1000km.Trying for 5000 this year.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    I know this is more than just kilometres, but this was my 2017 in Cycling. :)

Goals for 2017 (there are more, but these are the cycling-specific ones) ... and my comments about how they've gone :)

Cycle more than 2016. 2016's total was 5760.76 km. I want to cycle more than that in 2017.
    ...... Check! 6365 km

Complete Petite Year Round Randonneur. This is a challenge where we have to do a 100 km ride each month for a total of 1200 km. There is some flexibility in that we can do 50 km one month and 150 km the next to make up for it, but most of the time it should be a 100 km ride. The challenge started in November (that's when the Audax/Randonneuring year starts), so I've done 3 already.
    ...... Check! All 12 and we went over the 1200 km minimum

In the past, I've done several CAM challenges (Century A Month, where I ride a 100 mile ride each month of the year), and would like to do that again, but realistically, with full-time work + university, I'm not sure I can commit to that schedule. However, I would like to do as many centuries as possible. Good training rides.
    ...... Check! All 12! And we actually did an additional 2 for a total of 14.

Complete Super Randonneur. A Super Randonneur is Audax/Randonneuring's standard series and the series which is required to qualify for longer rides in most cases. It consists of one ride each of 200 km, 300 km 400 km, and 600 km, each of which has to be completed within a certain time limit.
    ...... Completed three 200Ks and one 300K in BRM events + another 200K as a Permanent.

Complete a 1000 km randonnee. This might be a long-shot. However, if the 600 km event goes well, there is a 1000 km 2 weeks later.
    ...... Unfortunately no. Ended up with the Great Flu of 2017 instead.

One 1000 km month.
    ...... Two of them! March: 1002.7 km & April 1111.5 km

Cycle up Mt Wellington again.
    ...... Yep in February!

Cycletouring.
    ...... We did some hub-and-spoke style touring but that was it this year.

Edit: Also ... not part of my goals, I ended up with 58,991 metres (193,540.03 feet) of climbing according to Strava. Unfortunately, I didn't record 2 or 3 rides, so the actual total was slightly higher than that. Not too bad for a lady who seeks out flat rides. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    nelja wrote: »
    How many kilometers have you done last year? I did 3600km.Which is really good for me.The year before , I did only 1000km.Trying for 5000 this year.

@nelja
    Just over 8,000km.
    A new PR for me and and a big jump from my previous best helped by retiring part way through the year.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

@nelja
    Just over 8,000km.
    A new PR for me and and a big jump from my previous best helped by retiring part way through the year.

Congrats! Both on the 8k, and on the retirement.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

About the same as you. My bike got stolen last summer, it took a while to replace, then wildfires broke out and it was too smokey to breathe. :disappointed:
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    edited January 2018
    @nelja

I did 6803km last year, smashing my PR by nearly 2400Km, haven't set a target for this year yet, but probably aiming around the same for this year
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    @nelja 4700 km (2920mi) and about 133,000' elevation for me. My "sweet spot" is to do 3 big rides a year and this year I only did 1 century and no tours.

I have 2 centuries planned for 2018, and am on the lookout for one more adventure. I miss the years when I rode more, but am pretty happy with what I am doing all things considered.
  • nelja
    That was bad luck last year. Hope it will go better this year.
    How many kilometers have you done last year? I did 3600km.Which is really good for me. The year before , I did only 1000km.Trying for 5000 this year.

About the same as you. My bike got stolen last summer, it took a while to replace, then wildfires broke out and it was too smokey to breathe. :disappointed:

• nelja
    Nice! Keep it going
    35dollars wrote: »
    @nelja

I did 6803km last year, smashing my PR by nearly 2400Km, haven't set a target for this year yet, but probably aiming around the same for this year

• nelja
    One do get addicted to cycling!! But I think it is in a good way.
    amandaeve wrote: »
    @nelja 4700 km (2920mi) and about 133,000' elevation for me. My "sweet spot" is to do 3 big rides a year and this year I only did 1 century and no tours.

I have 2 centuries planned for 2018, and am on the lookout for one more adventure. I miss the years when I rode more, but am pretty happy with what I am doing all things considered.

• nelja
    How you do it,i do not know.But it sounds awesome.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I know this is more than just kilometres, but this was my 2017 in Cycling. :)

Goals for 2017 (there are more, but these are the cycling-specific ones) ... and my comments about how they've gone :)

Cycle more than 2016. 2016's total was 5760.76 km. I want to cycle more than that in 2017.
    ...... Check! 6365 km

Complete Petite Year Round Randonneur. This is a challenge where we have to do a 100 km ride each month for a total of 1200 km. There is some flexibility in that we can do 50 km one month and 150 km the next to make up for it, but most of the time it should be a 100 km ride. The challenge started in November (that's when the Audax/Randonneuring year starts), so I've done 3 already.
    ...... Check! All 12 and we went over the 1200 km minimum

In the past, I've done several CAM challenges (Century A Month, where I ride a 100 mile ride each month of the year), and would like to do that again, but realistically, with full-time work + university, I'm not sure I can commit to that schedule. However, I would like to do as many centuries as possible. Good training rides.
    ...... Check! All 12! And we actually did an additional 2 for a total of 14.

Complete Super Randonneur. A Super Randonneur is Audax/Randonneuring's standard series and the series which is required to qualify for longer rides in most cases. It consists of one ride each of 200 km, 300 km 400 km, and 600 km, each of which has to be completed within a certain time limit.
    ...... Completed three 200Ks and one 300K in BRM events + another 200K as a Permanent.

Complete a 1000 km randonnee. This might be a long-shot. However, if the 600 km event goes well, there is a 1000 km 2 weeks later.
    ...... Unfortunately no. Ended up with the Great Flu of 2017 instead.

One 1000 km month.
    ...... Two of them! March: 1002.7 km & April 1111.5 km

Cycle up Mt Wellington again.
    ...... Yep in February!

Cycletouring.
    ...... We did some hub-and-spoke style touring but that was it this year.

Edit: Also ... not part of my goals, I ended up with 58,991 metres (193,540.03 feet) of climbing according to Strava. Unfortunately, I didn't record 2 or 3 rides, so the actual total was slightly higher than that. Not too bad for a lady who seeks out flat rides. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    How you do it,i do not know.But it sounds awesome.

One thing at a time. :)

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    2 Bikes:

1. Fuji Touring Series IV - circa 1985. I am not presently riding this bike, after a mishap last year, after restoring it to usability after some years of not riding (there's a long story involved). Love the bike, but I'm thinking it is no longer the bike for me (or, more likely, my older body is no longer the one for it, LOL). Can't part with it, though.
    2. 2018 Trek X-Caliber 9 - my "Christmas 2017 and Retirement" gift. Stock, with a few minor mods for my purposes, such as the 29x2.35 Schwalbe Big Apple, most-surfaces tires. Riding this as often as the weather permits since December, and doing gym cycle training to prep for riding at other times. Primary focus will be rail-trail type of riding with some road as well.

3ulyg7m5qgpb.png

18y06egr1c0w.jpg

I've lost over 60lbs from my max (over 2 yrs), 13lbs since Jan 1st. MFP is aiding with dietary management, I'm cooking healthier stuff like crazy, and now I've gotten to the point where I need to kick up my physical activity as well to keep on losing (I can go another 50lbs). This bike is my family's "gift of health" to me.

• nelja
    Did a very extreme and tough cycling race this weekend. It was 68km gravel (with sand and corrugation) and 10km of xc, which is very technical. Just under 4 hours. It was my first full marathon
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    edited April 2018
    sgg0v7c9tx1z.jpg
    It's a flip hub. Made by mbikes here in town. Nothing fancy. I ride single speed most of the time when I just want to get from A to B, and fixie when I'm playing around. The crank is currently broken, and I'm riding my lady who I've named Frankenstein. She's a cheapo old thruster frame from Walmart with rando parts I've thrown on covered in band stickers. I don't have a current photo of her. 9o9jne174wwy.jpg

• nelja
    quebot wrote: »
    It's a flip hub. Made by mbikes here in town. Nothing fancy. I ride single speed most of the time when I just want to get from A to B, and fixie when I'm playing around. The crank is currently broken, and I'm riding my lady who I've named Frankenstein. She's a cheapo old thruster frame from Walmart with rando parts I've thrown on covered in band stickers. I don't have a current photo of her.
    That looks nice.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    A week ago I was in Arizona where it was 90 degrees and basically perfect roadie conditions.

This weekend I was back home where it was 25 and, well, New York-ish.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    After years of riding a 1996 Cannondale road bike, upgraded to a Felt IA10 with Di2 shifting, Garmin Vector 3 pedals. After many hours on the trainer this winter, finally took it outside for the first time this past weekend.