Is it possible to have a nice booty with a desk job?

Options

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Fallfrenzy wrote: »
    With the right training focus and diet, it is completely possible. If you don't already have the "booty", it can take a few weeks.

A few weeks? More like a few years! :)

This is true
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    when i was 20 and had a desk job , i had a great booty. Now that i'm 50 with a desk job... its not so great.
    Hush. I'm sure it's lovely.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Many moons ago, when I was entering the workforce, I was warned of "secretarial spread" which is a widening and flattening of the buttocks believed to be caused by too much sitting. Complete nonsense, of course, but the myth persists. (Although, I guess being sedentary could have some effect?)

Lol. I forgot about that phrase. Secretarial spread :grin:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Many moons ago, when I was entering the workforce, I was warned of "secretarial spread" which is a widening and flattening of the buttocks believed to be caused by too much sitting. Complete nonsense, of course, but the myth persists. (Although, I guess being sedentary could have some effect?)

I would say more lack of use/glute activation (assuming the person is sedentary outside the office as well) can lead to lazy/weak glutes and some muscle loss over time. But if the person is working out regularly, especially strength training it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    It is completely impossible. It can never happen. Desk job people are doomed to be tubby forever.

obviously- and because they hate their lives- they are chronic smokers too. It's a vicious cycle.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    AuisGold1 wrote: »
    Sure you can. I have a desk job and I have been told that I have an awesome booty.
    Pics?
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sure you can. I have a desk job and I have been told that I have an awesome booty. But I do work at it.

Do weights or bodyweight exercises to build the muscle. With sitting around so much I would try and incorporate some type of stretching or mobility regime as well to undo some of the issues arising from sitting for extended ranges of time. A great read on the subject is a book called "deskbound- standing up in a sitting world" by Kelly Starrett (https://www.amazon.com/Deskbound-Standing-Up-Sitting-World/dp/1628600586/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8)

Thank you for this link.

OP, I think you ask a valid question, because the muscles of the glute max are lengthened and flattened in prolonged sitting. This leads to neuromuscular inhibition over time, and it does become harder to fire them properly. So a desk job or a lifestyle of excessive sitting may make it harder to fire those glutes and shape them. This can be motivation to work harder at training them!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    5 days a week I’m in the gym. It doesn’t matter how hard you work if your nutrition plan doesn’t support growth.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. I have a desk job and I have been told that I have an awesome booty. But I do work at it.

Do weights or bodyweight exercises to build the muscle. With sitting around so much I would try and incorporate some type of stretching or mobility regime as well to undo some of the issues arising from sitting for extended ranges of time. A great read on the subject is a book called "deskbound- standing up in a sitting world" by Kelly Starrett (https://www.amazon.com/Deskbound-Standing-Up-Sitting-World/dp/1628600586/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8)

Thank you for this link.

OP, I think you ask a valid question, because the muscles of the glute max are lengthened and flattened in prolonged sitting. This leads to neuromuscular inhibition over time, and it does become harder to fire them properly. So a desk job or a lifestyle of excessive sitting may make it harder to fire those glutes and shape them. This can be motivation to work harder at training them!

@wellnesschaser said it far better than I but that is exactly what I was getting at. Sitting all the time has an effect on your range of motion and when your range of motion is limited you can't do exercises in correct form which in turn leads to not being able to build your muscle into the ideal shape because you are not contracting the entirety of the muscle.

I built my glutes doing the Strong Curves program but the shape improved when I incorporated pilates and yoga into my fitness regime as I was finally undoing some of the damage of sitting so much and my range of motion has improved so in turn everything else has improved.

Sitting all the time at a desk job give you bad posutre and when you are people watching you can always spot people who do that as a profession as they have a c-curve to their spines and do not walk easily. More people should take the issue seriously

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Sure you can. I have a desk job and I have been told that I have an awesome booty.
    Pics?

@spartan_d - I am pretty sure threads with derriere pics get deleted pretty rapidly for falling in the zone of being NSFW, so it wouldn't be nice for the OP to have her thread deleted just to prove to some random internet person that I am the equivalent of Jen Selter on MFP.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been a cube dweller for 30+ years.

I amped up my nutrition/fitness 3 years ago. Amping up the working out has definitely had an impact on the booty.

I discovered this when I reached into the back pocket of my blue jeans. Upon first discovery I had to do a second take.

My mantra...SQUAT A LOT! It takes months and consistency.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I amped up my nutrition/fitness 3 years ago. Amping up the working out has definitely had an impact on the booty.

I discovered this when I reached into the back pocket of my blue jeans. Upon first discovery I had to do a second take.

By a lot, how much do you mean? How much weight, reps and sets? How many times a week?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    KimmalyS wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    It is completely impossible. It can never happen. Desk job people are doomed to be tubby forever.

Your sarcasm is unnecessary and unappreciated. Go somewhere else.

My apologies. I was not sure it was a serious question. I was pretty certain it was being asked in jest.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »

By a lot, how much do you mean? How much weight, reps and sets? How many times a week?

I am not the person you quoted but my advice would be to follow a glute focused lifting program (Strong Curves is a great one) vs just squatting a lot (not sure what that means either)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Is it possible to have a nice booty with a desk job?
    yep

How hard do you have to work at it?
    very

Another question worth asking - How long will it take?
    Answer: much longer than you think/would like.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It's possible but extended sitting does cause various changes that can lead to problems such as PFS and if you have any issues or concerns an exercise ball or stand/sit desk would be a good thing to look into to avoid those issues.
  • USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a standing desk (even a small, kid's play table or a wooden produce crate would do) and a stability/balance board to stand on. Booty for dayyyyyys!