Instant Pot Recipes??

TasiaD28
TasiaD28 Posts: 14 Member
Hey everyone! I just got an instant pot for Christmas (yay!!) and I am so excited to use it! Does anyone, who may have one, have any good, healthy recipes? Also, I'm a teacher and would love some healthy lunch and snack ideas :)

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Here is a link to a small group. There are some recipe, tips and links there. I use mine for soup, broth, chicken, quinoa and more. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115500-pressure-cooker-recipes-and-tips
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    This is my favorite

2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (I use three)
    1 ½ cups chopped red onion
    1 ¼ cups chopped red bell pepper
    ¾ cup chicken stock
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    2 Tbsp chopped chipotle chile in adobo (I add more)
    6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 (28oz) fire roasted tomatoes
    1 (4 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
    Salt and pepper

Optional:
    Zucchini, green beans, spinach, cauliflower…or any other vegetable you like.

Instructions

Add everything except the cilantro in the Instant Pot and stir it up
    Cook on manual for 18 minutes NR
    Shred the chicken
    After I shred the chicken I add more stock. I also add a bunch of frozen zucchini, frozen green beans, spinach and frozen cauliflower and put in on sauté for a few minutes. Add cilantro
  • traininglady911
    traininglady911 Posts: 39 Member
    There is a Facebook group for instapot recipes. You might want to check it out.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    If you've not yet seen one of Jeffery's videos, it'd be worth a few minutes of your time to check one out...

While this one has a lot of information on how to play nice with your Instant Pot:
    https://youtu.be/rjj08liF8aw

.. looking through his website or YouTube channel will provide quite a few recipes (not too many super-healthy ones yet, just drop him a comment or note as a gentle hint).
  • jesse_323
    jesse_323 Posts: 49 Member
    Compete3x wrote: »
    Is this instant weed?!?!?

yeah I came to this thread expecting something different... :D
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    TasiaD28 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I just got an instant pot for Christmas (yay!!) and I am so excited to use it! Does anyone, who may have one, have any good, healthy recipes? Also, I'm a teacher and would love some healthy lunch and snack ideas :)

I love my electric pressure cooker. I don't really have recipes, but here are some of the quick and easy things I make often in it:

skinless, boneless Chicken/pork: toss the whole package worth into the liner (yey for the fact that 40 oz of chicken and a whole half prok loin will fit in that puppy). (pork loin may need to be cut into 3rds). sprinkle with some salt/pepper/sazon/seasoning salt/garlic/dried minced onion/etc. Add some water. Set to 30ish minutes. wait (allow natural pressure release). remove. optionally: poke all/some with fork and add BBQ sauce (pulled pork/chicken). optionally: poke all/some with fork then mix with mayo/cream cheese and any seasonings (chicken/pork salad). -- this gives a giant pile of protein that can be later added to vegetables or into soup, etc.

Beans: instant pot will make short work of dried beans. which can be added to rice dishes, soup, salads, etc.

Soup: Toss a bunch of (random-ish) beans and veggies and maybe potatoes into water with seasonings. (bouillion, etc). optionally add a protein source before or after. (I find ham is better added before cooking, while I prefer adding the chicken from the previous 'recipe' added afterward just before re-heating in microwave). some favorites: pea soup (at the minimum: dried split peas, ham, carrots, and I usually add some ham-flavoured bouillion powder and other random seasonings); beet and sauerkraut, cabbage soup (a bit of a sweet and sour taste if you use some sauerkraut or pickled beets, mushrooms also really good in this); chicken and vegetable soup.

Stew: pre-sear 1-2 lb beef chunks/cubes that are lightly floured (can be done directly in most electric pressure cookers). Add wine and veggies (green beans, carrots, celery, mushrooms,..) and potatoes and broth (water + bouillion will do)(I usually do quickly google a recipe to check the liquid amounts before I make stew since I don't ever remember).

Chili: pre-brown some ground beef, beef chunks, ground poultry (can be done directly in most electric pressure cookers), or use chicken pieces/etc. Add in onion/garlic while browning. Add a bunch of large cans of diced tomatoes. Add a pile of dried kidney (or other) beans. optionally add corn or whatever else you like in chili. Add a bunch of chili powder and cumin and whatever other seasonings to taste. I think I usually do 35 minutes or so. I don't usually bother to thicken it further.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Low carb cheesecake in the IP is fantastic!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I just got one too, I am really enjoying playing with it. I bought a cookbook - there are lots on Amazon!

There are also a couple subreddits here:
    www.reddit.com/r/instantpot
    www.reddit.com/r/pressurecooking
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Just made this Unstuffed Cabbage Soup last night. Using the MFP recipe import tool said it was about 256 cals per serving. I am here to say it was delicious.
    http://www.shecookswithhelp.com/recipe/unstuffed-cabbage-soup-instant-pot-recipe/
  • LaurieMorrison1
    LaurieMorrison1 Posts: 1 Member
    IP is the ONLY way to do your hard 'boiled' eggs. The shell peels off like nothing!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I got one for Christmas and have made a bunch of stuff in it, but I'm struggling still with cooking times and the amount of liquid. I can't seem to grasp that liquid doesn't evaporate and I've got a tendency to add too much.

I made hardboiled eggs once and the yolks were more done than I like them. I did a 5 minute cook and a 5 minute release and immediately put them in an ice bath. I'm thinking I either need to do a quick release or cut the cook time. I'm open to suggestions.
  • _lora
    _lora Posts: 117 Member
    These recipes look incredible! I'm just playing around with my IP and appreciate you all sharing!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I made penne and meatballs last night and though it was nothing flashy - it was great to have it all in one pot - set it and walk away. I always splatter tomato sauce on my stove no matter how low I have the burner set at - so that's another added bonus.

Layer In This Order
    1 bag of frozen meatballs
    3 cups of water
    1 box of penne pasta (they say the short noodles work much better in IP, although you'll see some recipes for spaghetti)
    1 jar of marinara sauce
    1 swish of red wine to sluice out the remnants in the marinara jar (yes those are precise measurements)
    Spoonful of minced garlic
    2 Shakes of Italian Herb Seasoning

DO NOT STIR!!!! Stirring with the tomato sauce apparently causes it to burn on the bottom of the pot.

Seal the pot and cook on High Pressure for 6 minutes.
    Quick Release (although I was downstairs putting away laundry and mine sat for about 5 minutes after it beeped)

Open, stir and serve.

Really great weeknight meal for my family. Will definitely be making again.

Nahhh it wont burn. Its "liquidy". I use passatta or tomato pure for lots of curries in the IP. No problems with burning. To think of it, as long as there is liquid I dont think anything can be burned in the IP. Anyone had any luck doing so??? ;)

Twice I have had thinner sauces form a sort of . . . mat or base that seems to have heated up, got solid, and then charred a bit or burned. When I put my solid stuff on the bottom (like in the recipe instructions above), it's never been an issue. If it's something really liquidy (like pureed tomatoes), it's not an issue. It's more of a sauce thing, at least in my two experiences.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I made penne and meatballs last night and though it was nothing flashy - it was great to have it all in one pot - set it and walk away. I always splatter tomato sauce on my stove no matter how low I have the burner set at - so that's another added bonus.

Layer In This Order
    3 cups of water
    1 box of penne pasta (they say the short noodles work much better in IP, although you'll see some recipes for spaghetti)
    1 jar of marinara sauce
    1 swish of red wine to sluice out the remnants in the marinara jar (yes those are precise measurements)

DO NOT STIR!!!! Stirring with the tomato sauce apparently causes it to burn on the bottom of the pot.

Quick Release (although I was downstairs putting away laundry and mine sat for about 5 minutes after it beeped)

Open, stir and serve.

Made this tonight - amazing - the kids loved it. Thank you!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »

Layer In This Order
    3 cups of water
    1 jar of marinara sauce

Open, stir and serve.

Nahhh it wont burn. Its "liquidy". I use passatta or tomato pure for lots of curries in the IP. No problems with burning. To think of it, as long as there is liquid I dont think anything can be burned in the IP. Anyone had any luck doing so??? ;)

Hasn't happened to me but the dozens of posts I've seen on the FB IP group suggest that the "burn" notice is pretty common with not enough liquid and with tomato based sauces. I'm sure it's a learning curve but if the tried and true recipes say "layer, don't stir" that's what I'm going with.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    I'm thinking of buying one>>>>