Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Ha! I am responsible for references to the "book which must not be named" thing because I felt like I was being obnoxious by talking about it so much. But really, Annie Grace does deserve credit for her wonderful This Naked Mind, which I'm now re-reading at a slow and steady pace after blitzing through it. I so highly recommend this book. My main takeaway is that my conscious mind can "talk to" my unconscious mind. For instance, last night with husband stress, I told my unconscious mind, "You just think a glass of wine would make things better, but actually, it would just make you feel worse in the end and probably prompt you to say things you would rather not say." That "talking to" works for me so much better than the old white-knuckle approach.

Have a great Day 5 everyone!

This book will be here tomorrow, I can't wait to start it. :)

I have tried this tactic unsuccessfully too many times to count. I'll be interested to see what she talks about that will hopefully be the trick to success.

Oh and I drank the rest of that bottle last night. Looks like my Dry/Damp January will start next week.

Ditto, and I'm off to a rough start this morning. I feel fine, but...

I slept in, my cat ate my hearing aid ( I can't even with this one... good bye $$), I forgot my lunch, and it's so tempting to order lunch and grab a bottle from the wine fridge here at work and hunker down for the afternoon lol.

I forgot my lunch today too! And I'm trying to do keto, so I'm having to scrounge to cover myself. I don't have access to wine until after work or else that would be tempting me too. :D

Anyway, I'm sorry to be nothing but bitching so far this morning. I want to congratulate everyone who has successfully made it 4 days cutting booze down or out! That's awesome. :)
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Nook version of This Naked Mind. Started reading it this morning with breakfast and it seems promising. Had a fantastic 4 mile run this morning as well! We’re at ~7200 ft altitude for vacation but we live near sea-level....,if I had any alcohol last night, I would have been suffering greatly during my run this morning. Yay for waking up refreshed and feeling good :smile:

Does anyone find that practicing meditation helps with staying focused on their goals for the day? I’m thinking about incorporating a simple 5-10 minute meditation each morning.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Day 4 for me, Friday. I don’t feel like having a glass of wine, but my husband will open a bottle. Determined to stay strong, have a long half marathon training run tomorrow so will focus on that.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    As Friday happy hour looms I would love good ideas for what to order at a bar that's at least semi-interesting, while being alcohol free and semi-low cal. My go to is usually diet Coke or club soda and lime, but getting a little tired of them. I'm not a beer drinker, but a big wine drinker. Not very familiar with mixed drinks, although I rarely might drink a vodka tonic or vodka soda. I'm inclined toward citrusy-stuff. Thanks for any thoughts!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    As Friday happy hour looms I would love good ideas for what to order at a bar that's at least semi-interesting, while being alcohol free and semi-low cal. My go to is usually diet Coke or club soda and lime, but getting a little tired of them. I'm not a beer drinker, but a big wine drinker. Not very familiar with mixed drinks, although I rarely might drink a vodka tonic or vodka soda. I'm inclined toward citrusy-stuff. Thanks for any thoughts!

You are braver than I am. I was invited to a happy hour but I passed on going. I know I would just cave and have beer (or a few)
    Hopefully someone gives some good ideas!
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @kittybenn ! I’m trying to set realistic goals for myself and just take this a step at a time. I’m interested in what you find as substitutes for the routine of having a glass of wine in the evenings. 5-7pm is my downfall.

• erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    Epically failed last night. What was supposed to be zero drinks turned into SIX! I have to admit it's easier for me to not drink at all than it is to stop once I've started. Kinda scared about what that might mean. And the drinking led to smoking, and quitting smoking is supposed to be my #1 priority. It also led to poor food choices. Alcohol seems to be the chain that links all my vices together. I am going to try to go the rest of the month without drinking. It's SO hard but it just doesn't seem worth it. I feel so horrible and guilty after not only drinking last night, but getting straight-up drunk, and smoking.

I am with you on that, much rather not drink at all than just try to have just one or two. And booze does always lead to bad food ...
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have the same struggle but at the same time I'm glad I'm not alone. Most of my 80-lb weight gain was because of alcohol (between the alcohol calories themselves and the munchies that go with it), and it's been my biggest obstacle in trying to lose weight. I really think if I could just quit drinking so many other issues would be infinitely easier to deal with.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Ha! I am responsible for references to the "book which must not be named" thing because I felt like I was being obnoxious by talking about it so much. But really, Annie Grace does deserve credit for her wonderful This Naked Mind, which I'm now re-reading at a slow and steady pace after blitzing through it. I so highly recommend this book. My main takeaway is that my conscious mind can "talk to" my unconscious mind. For instance, last night with husband stress, I told my unconscious mind, "You just think a glass of wine would make things better, but actually, it would just make you feel worse in the end and probably prompt you to say things you would rather not say." That "talking to" works for me so much better than the old white-knuckle approach.

I have tried this tactic unsuccessfully too many times to count. I'll be interested to see what she talks about that will hopefully be the trick to success.

Oh and I drank the rest of that bottle last night. Looks like my Dry/Damp January will start next week.

I slept in, my cat ate my hearing aid ( I can't even with this one... good bye $$), I forgot my lunch, and it's so tempting to order lunch and grab a bottle from the wine fridge here at work and hunker down for the afternoon lol.

Where the heck do you work that they have wine in the fridge for the taking lol? I wonder if it would be possible to ask your employer to remove alcohol from the workplace? I work for the government though, so that concept is foreign to me. Maybe it's a lot more common in the private industry...?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    Epically failed last night. What was supposed to be zero drinks turned into SIX! I have to admit it's easier for me to not drink at all than it is to stop once I've started. Kinda scared about what that might mean. And the drinking led to smoking, and quitting smoking is supposed to be my #1 priority. It also led to poor food choices. Alcohol seems to be the chain that links all my vices together. I am going to try to go the rest of the month without drinking. It's SO hard but it just doesn't seem worth it. I feel so horrible and guilty after not only drinking last night, but getting straight-up drunk, and smoking.

OMG! This is sooooooo me! I am an all or none type of person. One drink turns to many and then I grab smokes. I have resolved this year to stop this habit once and for all. I am done with drinking until I can learn portion control. I do great when I am not drinking. I sleep well and it feels great waking up without a hangover. My hubby and I get together and go for dinner/drinks and one drink turn into many. It's a cycle I am determine to break.

• SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Where the heck do you work that they have wine in the fridge for the taking lol? I wonder if it would be possible to ask your employer to remove alcohol from the workplace? I work for the government though, so that concept is foreign to me. Maybe it's a lot more common in the private industry...?

Haha I work at an accounting firm, it's small - about 6 employees all women in their 30's all with children. We have a stocked wine fridge, and baileys in the fridge. I mean it's not like we all get drunk at work but if my boss walked in and I was drinking wine, they'd just chalk it up to a stressful day lol. I was kidding about taking the bottle, I've never been much of a day drinker. :P

Then in the boardroom we have a mini fridge stocked with beer & coolers, pop, juice, water etc. for clients.

Accounting can be 10/10 stressful on a good day, tax season? I'll probably be buying it by the case lol.
  • mmccool719
    mmccool719 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Read something last night in the-book-which-must-not-be-named that really resonated with me. It essentially said that over time, the artificial stimulation your brain receives from drinking makes you neurologically unable to experience the pleasure you once did from everyday activities like visiting a friend, reading a book, etc.

This hit home because I have realised that I look forward to things so much more when it involves drinking. If I know we are going somewhere that is dry, a part of me thinks, "Ugh, this is going to be boring."

But then I think back to when I was a kid and how much I enjoyed doing things like playing board games or going bowling or watching movies - and I certainly didn't need alcohol to help me then. But because I have imbibed so much these last 10 years or so, my brain is physically incapable of allowing me to enjoy things sober as much as I once did.

The good news: apparently it is reversible with abstinence/significant reduction.

That is interesting because I’ve experienced the very same thing! Things I used to enjoy, like reading, hiking, being outdoors, I’ve completely become anhedonic to. Makes me feel bored/boring to be around. Need to read this book!