• dawnmcmd
    dawnmcmd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1/2 = No Alcohol
    1/3 = No Alcohol
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I’m finding I need to wee more?! I’d always drunk loads of water in the day, 2liters or so, so no idea why this is happening!
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think one of the chief motivators for me is no hangover. But clear mind YES. I feel it too. Last time , I quit drinking for 21 days, I truly thought I saw colors more brighter and pictures clearer. It even affected my vision besides my mind. Good points you make.
    Clear mind for sure… and within about 4 days I feel like I’ve shed the water weight –which feels equally amazing.
    …. Anyway, I plan on not drinking in January, getting back on track with my fitness (just got my first ever home gym set up and QUIT my gym for the first time ever, scary but exciting), hopefully picking up my clarinet again because I really need a hobby….
    Best wishes on the home gym! I love mine… I am a clarinetist also (or at least I try)…
    …. Does anyone else have trouble with "too much" energy when abstaining from alcohol?
    I wouldn’t say “too much”, but a definite noticeable change for the positive.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    No wine for me tonight - just a hoegaarden. :)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Went without last night. It seems like a win, though the truth is that I had no beer at the house. On the other hand, I didn’t find an excuse to go to the store for beer, so…

Accentuate the positive, right?

It's much easier for me when there's no alcohol in the house at all. But my husband likes to keep the fridge stocked for when he wants a few, which is maybe once a week to two weeks. I usually drink all the beer and just buy more and then drink it then we're out by the time he wants any. I try now to keep it in his office so it's at least out of my sight, and then just stick a few in the fridge when he might want some.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    My husband and I are going to cook together tonight and it's one of our favorite things to do. We always have a couple beers while we prep and cook and get a little flirty towards the end, lol. These are the times that I want to have happen. I don't want to have drank (alone) every other night before that and then feel bad about not taking a night off drinking so we can drink together like we enjoy. I'm still abstaining for this month though so I'll just have sparkling water tonight. But at least I haven't already drank all of his beer and need to stop and spend more money on the way home!
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    Options
    My husband and I are going to cook together tonight and it's one of our favorite things to do. We always have a couple beers while we prep and cook and get a little flirty towards the end, lol. These are the times that I want to have happen. I don't want to have drank (alone) every other night before that and then feel bad about not taking a night off drinking so we can drink together like we enjoy. I'm still abstaining for this month though so I'll just have sparkling water tonight. But at least I haven't already drank all of his beer and need to stop and spend more money on the way home!

Cooking with beer is fantastic. Thankfully, I haven’t had a marathon day in the kitchen because I always have a bottle at the ready. This is certainly another habit I will have to adjust.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Today will be my 3rd day with no alcohol. I drank NYE, of course, then hubs and I went to the bar to watch the Rose Bowl on the 1st and I had a few of my favorite beers there. I'm feeling really good and really energetic today.

One of the problems I have when I completely abstain from alcohol is that I get a little TOO energetic. I'll work out at 5 am and by the time I get to work at 7 I am just buzzing with energy and often have nothing to do for around an hour. I sometimes find myself trolling FB and getting myself in to trouble. I laugh about that but it really is an annoying issue. I just don't know how to better handle all the energy while at work. If I'm at home I can always find something to do. At work, I find myself getting a little embarrassed about particular interactions with co-workers because I get overly excited and carried away with a topic that otherwise I wouldn't even converse about.

Does anyone else have trouble with "too much" energy when abstaining from alcohol?

Yes! I kind of alluded to this in a previous post. I am not sure if it's anxiety or what, but I have a hard time sitting still. Alcohol helps me to calm down.

• eddie_fields
    eddie_fields Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just joined the app. I did dry January successfully in 2016...not so successfully in 2017...this year going to do dry January + and try to go as long as possible without drinking. I like to drink...a lot...but also find it has become a little numbing and distracting. I have rejoined the gym, do clean-keto eating and try to get healthy.

So far very inspired by everyone’s posts! Good luck all; I look forward to reading all of your progress and hoping to hang in there with you.

Welcome Eddie! I like to drink too. I love the taste, the glass, the numbing qualities, etc. I think we will need to rewire our brain. I'm in it for the 30 days and I hope beyond. Happy to hear from you. Good luck!

Thank you and good luck to you too!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Today will be my 3rd day with no alcohol. I drank NYE, of course, then hubs and I went to the bar to watch the Rose Bowl on the 1st and I had a few of my favorite beers there. I'm feeling really good and really energetic today.

One of the problems I have when I completely abstain from alcohol is that I get a little TOO energetic. I'll work out at 5 am and by the time I get to work at 7 I am just buzzing with energy and often have nothing to do for around an hour. I sometimes find myself trolling FB and getting myself in to trouble. I laugh about that but it really is an annoying issue. I just don't know how to better handle all the energy while at work. If I'm at home I can always find something to do. At work, I find myself getting a little embarrassed about particular interactions with co-workers because I get overly excited and carried away with a topic that otherwise I wouldn't even converse about.

Does anyone else have trouble with "too much" energy when abstaining from alcohol?

Yes! I kind of alluded to this in a previous post. I am not sure if it's anxiety or what, but I have a hard time sitting still. Alcohol helps me to calm down.

I've always had a lot of energy. I was always hyper as a child and was really annoying to lots of people (I had a few nicknames in middle school). I'm definitely a morning person as that's when I'm most energetic. Maybe I just need to work out harder, lol. I'm just reminded of it being an issue whenever I do a "sober" month. I feel better and healthier but I also end up running around like a chicken with my head cut off for like an hour till I finally mellow out.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Day 3 here & I’m feeling good, not even tempted tonight. Friday may be a different story. Each day as it comes
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking nearly 7 months ago. Two years before that, I had quit for just over a year. I also quit in my mid-20's for a year and a half. My brother had told me years and years ago: "some people just shouldn't drink, and you're one of them." It's interesting because I know he's right, but alcohol seems like so much FUN sometimes.

But the older I get, the more I look back and realize, it's only fun at that point where I lose my crippling anxiety for a bit and feel brave enough to go and talk to anyone. After that point, everything is an embarrassing regret when I wake up the next day. Literally almost everything. Alcohol is poison to me. I actually get paralyzed with fear thinking of the stupid things I've done while drunk. Particularly after a traumatic personal situation that dragged on for 3 years. My drinking got really scary. For someone my size, I could really pound the booze down, and it started with the leftover beer from the night before to cure my hangover when I woke up. I was actually getting embarrassed to go to the liquor stores in town, because I was buying either a 12-pack and/or a bottle of whiskey or wine just about every single day.

My personal opinion: if you have had concerns about alcohol, drive drunk, are embarrassed the next day over your drunken antics, etc. consider quitting all together. You aren't missing out on much except bad decisions, crippling hangovers, and potential trouble. Plus, it's better for your fitness goals. Kudos to everyone for cutting back for their health, though!

Wonderful, insightful post. I am who you describe - I just shouldnt drink. Embarrassed the next day? Yes plenty of times. Not a good feeling at all. Bad decisions and horrible hangovers- YES! Thank you so much for sharing.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Another motivator for me: I've lost 1.5 lbs. since Monday. I'm sure a lot of that is water, but I'll take it. I just want to say that those of you who have referred to "failing" because you had a drink, I don't think of that as "failure" at all. This is a process, and I think we need to be exceedingly kind to ourselves.

I'm still having a hell of a time falling asleep. Once I'm there, I'm sleeping well, but last night I turned the light out at 11:30 and last looked at the clock at 1:30. Bought some relaxing hot caramel sleepy time tea at the pharmacy today when I got my flu shot. Hopefully that will help. I have some Xanax that I take only when I fly and considered popping one of those. But please . . . let's not swap one unhealthful habit for another one.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Those who have trouble falling asleep without a drink or two: Have you tried Melatonin? I take half of one (any more than that and I am sluggish the next day) an hour before bed and find it helps.

Note: Not every day - only when I think I am going to have trouble falling asleep.
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    Options
    Those who have trouble falling asleep without a drink or two: Have you tried Melatonin? I take half of one (any more than that and I am sluggish the next day) an hour before bed and find it helps.

Note: Not every day - only when I think I am going to have trouble falling asleep.

I tried it for a week - I had the CRAZIEST dreams!
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I failed already. :(
    Day 1 - finished the open wine from NYE
    Day 2 - No alcohol and felt really good about it
    Day 3 - Stressful day - went out to dinner, had 2 drinks with hubby, came home and drank wine. UGH!
    Day 4 - Mad at myself and disappointed. Going to try to start fresh again today. I joined a BC starting the week of the 15th and I know I will do great during that time.

I am inspired by so many people writing their feelings down in this thread.

I'm in the same boat. I'm very disappointed with myself but I'm starting over today. Hang in there!