Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Rough day yesterday and caved. I didn't have to work, shoveled snow 3 times for about an hour total. The cat spent about 9 hours catching a mouse off and on. Somehow the critter got in when I left the Inside french door open one night. Well tired and have made even harder to resist alcohol today.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I made it through day 4, but yesterday was a bit of a challenge. I had a great run and that usually means I come home and relax with a glass of wine while cooking. I really wanted one while I was cooking. Once I made it through that though, I knew I was in the clear.

If I make it past this evening, I will consider that my first real hurdle. On Fridays I usually cook a nice dinner and my husband and I sit around and drink wine and/or bourbon and listen to music and talk and unwind. It's one of my favorite evenings. Tonight I am making seafood paella, which really makes me long for a nice rose to go with it. But I can do this. I just need to remind myself how good it will feel to go meet my running group in the morning without a hangover. That long run is going to feel great!

@amymoreorless - I love the "Damp January". Not that I want to admit defeat, but that is likely how it will turn out for me. I still haven't mentally committed myself to the idea of going totally dry. That is something I definitely need to do in order to make that happen. I know myself. Once I decide to do something, it's going to happen. It's just making the decision that is the hard part for me. As of now, I am just in the mindset of seeing how long I can last without alcohol.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Went to a new brewery last night with a friend. Consumed my two drinks for this week, which means none again until next Friday.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried to abstain for brief periods before and sometimes do it, but it seems so hard. Doing committed dry January is the first time since being pregnant that it’s been easy to not drink. I think maybe taking it totally off the table for a long period is making it easier to not even think about it. The wrestle of should I? Is gone. But - Talk to me next weekend when I’m at a wedding at a brewery
  • SanDiegofitmom
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good point! @donimfp
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    This is my first time using the MFP message boards. Definitely cutting down the drinking for awhile as the last half of 2017 was pretty rough. I'm shooting for only drinking on Saturdays and switching to light beer.

The toughest part for me is working in the beer industry. Lot's of lunches include beers, sales meetings involve sampling beers, happy hours that are paid for. I know that sounds like lots of fun - and it is - but I am the heaviest I have been in about 11-12 years. And you definitely get weird looks when you order a water instead of a beer at lunch.

First week was a success. Hope it continues.

Great success for your first week! Happy to have you as part of our board. What a temptation to work in the industry. But I imagine there are a few others who work with you who wish they could cut back. Good luck. You can do it!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @JuileAL1969 Thank you! And best of luck to you - and everyone here - on doing well with this challenge!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Last night I drank sparkling water and then walked on the treadmill after dinner. Hubs was going to have a beer but then decided not to since he wants to lose a couple pounds as well. It was a nice evening.

Weekends are the hardest. Tonight will be easy because we’re going to a Clydesdale farm for a kids bday party and won’t get home till close to bedtime. We have another bday party tomorrow from 12-2. Usually after being around so many kids I really crave a drink (gee, I wonder why, lol). I’m hoping to stay strong, I’ll feel bad about myself if I can’t even make it a week.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Ha! I am responsible for references to the "book which must not be named" thing because I felt like I was being obnoxious by talking about it so much. But really, Annie Grace does deserve credit for her wonderful This Naked Mind, which I'm now re-reading at a slow and steady pace after blitzing through it. I so highly recommend this book. My main takeaway is that my conscious mind can "talk to" my unconscious mind. For instance, last night with husband stress, I told my unconscious mind, "You just think a glass of wine would make things better, but actually, it would just make you feel worse in the end and probably prompt you to say things you would rather not say." That "talking to" works for me so much better than the old white-knuckle approach.

Have a great Day 5 everyone!

This book will be here tomorrow, I can't wait to start it. :)

I have tried this tactic unsuccessfully too many times to count. I'll be interested to see what she talks about that will hopefully be the trick to success.

Oh and I drank the rest of that bottle last night. Looks like my Dry/Damp January will start next week.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is my first time using the MFP message boards. Definitely cutting down the drinking for awhile as the last half of 2017 was pretty rough. I'm shooting for only drinking on Saturdays and switching to light beer.

The toughest part for me is working in the beer industry. Lot's of lunches include beers, sales meetings involve sampling beers, happy hours that are paid for. I know that sounds like lots of fun - and it is - but I am the heaviest I have been in about 11-12 years. And you definitely get weird looks when you order a water instead of a beer at lunch.

Heaviest I've ever been here too! I'm so sick of it.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options
    Last night I drank sparkling water and then walked on the treadmill after dinner. Hubs was going to have a beer but then decided not to since he wants to lose a couple pounds as well. It was a nice evening.

Weekends are the hardest. Tonight will be easy because we’re going to a Clydesdale farm for a kids bday party and won’t get home till close to bedtime. We have another bday party tomorrow from 12-2. Usually after being around so many kids I really crave a drink (gee, I wonder why, lol). I’m hoping to stay strong, I’ll feel bad about myself if I can’t even make it a week.

Ha! We had my son’s 8 yr birthday party and when I got home I definitely had a brief bit of longer for that red wine in the cupboard
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Ha! I am responsible for references to the "book which must not be named" thing because I felt like I was being obnoxious by talking about it so much. But really, Annie Grace does deserve credit for her wonderful This Naked Mind, which I'm now re-reading at a slow and steady pace after blitzing through it. I so highly recommend this book. My main takeaway is that my conscious mind can "talk to" my unconscious mind. For instance, last night with husband stress, I told my unconscious mind, "You just think a glass of wine would make things better, but actually, it would just make you feel worse in the end and probably prompt you to say things you would rather not say." That "talking to" works for me so much better than the old white-knuckle approach.

Have a great Day 5 everyone!

This book will be here tomorrow, I can't wait to start it. :)

I have tried this tactic unsuccessfully too many times to count. I'll be interested to see what she talks about that will hopefully be the trick to success.

Oh and I drank the rest of that bottle last night. Looks like my Dry/Damp January will start next week.

Ditto, and I'm off to a rough start this morning. I feel fine, but...

I slept in, my cat ate my hearing aid ( I can't even with this one... good bye $$), I forgot my lunch, and it's so tempting to order lunch and grab a bottle from the wine fridge here at work and hunker down for the afternoon lol.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options

Heaviest I've ever been here too! I'm so sick of it.

Time we kick some butt then :)