Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Today will be day 5 for me! I’m anticipating it to be the hardest day yet (tomorrow will be worse though). Kids bday from 12-2 and then I will be home and would normally have several rum and sparkling water over the course of the evening. I’m planning instead to work out in my new home gym and doing something constructive with my 8 year old (we have a lot of STEM toys/activities that aren’t used enough) before cooking a healthy dinner for us. I feel so good so that is really mentally helping me stick to my goals right now.
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I woke up with a totally clear head this morning & had a long run. I read somewhere that with running, you shouldn’t drink the day before a long run or the day you’ve completed it. This is really helping me (was a bit doubtful of the benefit) as two long runs in since alcohol free & there is a fairly big difference! Day 5 today for me & Saturday when I intended to drink, but I won’t be. Want to see what the difference is in another week. Still each day as it comes, once we hit Monday again it’ll be easier! Keep going everyone, it’s inspiring me too!

Great job, I want to work back up to running and quitting drinking is really going to help. I hope by the spring thaw in Ohio I can have enough walking miles on the treadmill to venture outside for running. I am just starting back to daily exercise so I have a long way to go.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @becky3695 That's awesome! It took some serious self-discipline for you to pass all that up!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @becky3695 That's awesome! It took some serious self-discipline for you to pass all that up!

Thank you!!! And you are my biggest inspiration. I know if you can make it 80+ Days - I can make it just One more!!!

Let’s do this!!!!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Still, i have begun to experience SHAME when i drink too much or too often. I hate that emotion more than anything. So, my new years resolution is for each day i am totally sober i put 10 dollars (a bottle of wine) into an account.

This is a FANTASTIC idea!!!! I can think of a lot of things that $3650 can buy me next year!!

• Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Love seeing the updates throughout the day and to see how everyone is doing! I had 1/2 glass of microbrew with hubby last night while we watched the sunset from an upstairs balcony. The beer was nice, but I found I didn’t want more than the 1/2 that I drank. This morning, I’m ready for a great workout and a nice day with my family.

Are you noticing it’s easier to keep your diet in check since cutting back on the alcohol? I’m at goal weight, and I primarily work on my running and strength training (just body weight at the moment). I have a tendency to eat more after drinking, so I think cutting back is going to help me moderate my diet.

Have a great day everyone!

Yes, I find it much, much easier to stay on track with my eating, especially because wine was more than a trigger for food I did not need, and I developed a habit of lots of salty snacks with wine in the evenings ... after meals. Now, I have a much better guage for my hunger and food cravings, and with that, added confidence to succeed with weight loss.

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    becky3695 wrote: »
    Still, i have begun to experience SHAME when i drink too much or too often. I hate that emotion more than anything. So, my new years resolution is for each day i am totally sober i put 10 dollars (a bottle of wine) into an account.

This is a FANTASTIC idea!!!! I can think of a lot of things that $3650 can buy me next year!!

Oh, I am definitely doing this. I think by day 7 (tomorrow), I'll have saved at least $20 in wine.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @kcn2bluesky definitely noticing it's easier to keep calories under control since I'm not spending them on wine. I can actually say that I'm not hungry over the past couple of days, probably because I'm eating enough. This is helping a lot. Plus I've lost a couple of pounds in the past week, which is pretty motivating.