Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love that app Dry January. I wonder what the app is that keeps track of hours. I love seeing that count. I Love reading all your posts. Everyday, i wake up and grab my phone to read. I read it in the evening to keep away from the wine. I am so happy to be part of this journey with all of you.

mnlh2fu4823v.png

I found this app called Sober Time, you can have it count in breaths, heartbeats, seconds...etc. I like it so far. The counter feels so motivating! I am also listening to This Naked Mind and almost finished reading Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola....both are really hitting home.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    becky3695 wrote: »
    8aeibct16niy.png

I was not as successful at yesterday’s dinner party. I had a bottle of wine.... starting over again!!!

Progress.... not perfection!!!

I like that quote Progress Not Perfection! I also like someone else's term Damp January. You'll have a great week, I'm sure. You can do it!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @donimfpdonimfp One other thing about the sleeping. I have an app called Insight Timer, and it's a lifesaver when I can't sleep. I just put my phone under my pillow, plug the headphones in and pick a meditation. You can look for them by issue, such as sleep problems. Just about any will work. I can almost guarantee you will be sawing logs before the thing ends.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's a snow covered, cold winter day. Drinking coffee in bed and reading This Naked Mind. I am on the chapter that discusses all the harm the poison alcohol does to our heart, brain and liver. And more. If this chapter doesnt scare me straight, nothing will. I want to write my body a heartfelt apology letter for the 25 years of slow poisoning:) I want to thank it for getting me this far relatively healthy. I want to do better for it. Xo

I’m reading that chapter this morning while I have my coffee. It’s an intense one to read and absorb.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Well my Saturday wasn’t too bad! I didn’t overdo it at all. I had one Bellini, then my husband and I went to the movies and I had 2 glasses of wine during the movie. No biggie, felt barely buzzed by the time the movie was over and we were headed home.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    From the jump I claimed that I was gonna stick to only Saturday drinking, not Dry January.
    I did just that and I made it even better than I thought. Usually I binge drink on craft beer and shots in Fri and Sat - and eat garbage along with it.
    I didnt drink Fri. On Sat I had a Guinness, a few light beers and two shots. Even better was the cheat meal. I had sautéed veggies and brown rice instead of the usual pizza or burgers.

So I was over my calories just one day but I still made a lot of better decisions than my old self!

Me too! I’m not a big drinker in general, only on Saturdays typically, so I don’t need a dry January, just tempering my Saturday drinking habits lol!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Well, this is Day 7, but it's 2:35 a.m. and I have not been able to get to sleep. In the past, good sleep has been a great perk of abstaining from alcohol. This time, for some weird reason, my brain will not turn off. I've finally given up, gotten out of bed, read posts here, and will now do the Sunday NYT crossword on my computer. Any hints or advice would be MOST welcome. I'm drinking herbal tea at bedtime, but you can't know how tempting it is to knock myself out with wine when I lie in bed from 11:30 to 2:30 without sleep. Well, I guess most of you can know. I am celebrating 7 days, but this sleep stuff has got to get fixed! I'm kind of afraid to take melatonin or anything else because I tend to have paradoxical reactions to stuff. For example, I once took Nyquil and was up literally all night. Didn't sleep one minute and had to go teach the next morning. Never again. I mentioned in an earlier post that I do have a prescription for Xanax that I only take when I fly. I think that would knock me out, but I'm resisting subbing one drug for another. I'm grateful for this group so I have somewhere to moan and groan if needed.

Melatonin might help. It’s not a medication it’s actually a hormone your body naturally produces. I too can’t take NyQuil. Just take 3 mg about 30 minutes before bed. Sleep is all about expectation, you’ll definitely get back on track- do some meditation / relaxation before bed too that helps! (I suffered with really bad insomnia for a year so I know) - my favorite thing to do when I can’t sleep is either make up a story, or redecorate my house in my head. Taking my mind off “I can’t sleep” is what helps me nod off. But truly don’t worry, periods of insomnia are soooo common. You’ll be back to good sleep in no time.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I made it today! Day 1,2,3,4,5, and 6. I am amazed but something about not breaking my hard earned streak keeps me motivated. We buried my father-in-law today. The whole week was very stressful but he led a beautiful , LONG life. I wanted to turn to alcohol many times throughout the week. Today, there was plenty of wine and alcohol at the luncheon. But I didn't drink any. I fluctuate a little from being angry that I can't drink because I really cant handle stopping at one and being very proud and motivated. I took a long bath this evening to relax. But had tea and not the usual wine. I am having a little problem doing things I love without the alcohol. I know it will take time for me to reprogram my mind. But I miss the wine sometimes. I love that app Dry January. I wonder what the app is that keeps track of hours. I love seeing that count. I Love reading all your posts. Everyday, i wake up and grab my phone to read. I read it in the evening to keep away from the wine. I am so happy to be part of this journey with all of you.

You are an inspiration, especially going through many difficult challenges at once....Great reflections and strengths. I will have to check the app out and I have been noticing that many things I used to do, I did with wine also....It takes about a month to develop new habits. I always drank wine when I did my gardening and yard work, so I know that will be another one to add to my list when the time comes!! :)
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    Freedom again yesterday... I choose these words to remind me of how my life was being taken over by alcohol. My husband is still drinking and keeps saying he is going to decrease....which he hasn't done. He snores bad when he drinks and I have to go into our guest room to sleep now during the night because he wakes me with his snoring. We will see where this all goes...?
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    Losing weight so much easier....