Keto First Timer

Options
LilMamaz707
LilMamaz707 Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2018 in Getting Started
Hey Everyone!

I am a Keto beginner and I am hoping there are a few of you out there that can offer some tips or advice for a novice like myself. So far I have lost 6 lbs since the beginning of the year. I am always looking for new recipes or snack ideas as well.

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• youwillsee1day
    youwillsee1day Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I want to do Keto but not real sure how it works. Also, a little nervous I heard that it can cause kidney stones and I had 20 last year the size of quarters. :'(
  • LilMamaz707
    Options
    Oh no, that sounds terrifying. So far it has not been too terrible, I am a bread lover and it has been a little difficult to stay away. I enjoy things like avocado, meat, fish, and veggies so it has been fairly simply so far. I am still learning but pinterest has had some helpful tips too.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    do a search for the low carbers and keto threads. will help you out a lot
  • wowzerstia
    wowzerstia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I watch a lot of you tubers that vlog about keto that’s where I’m learning the most. I’m more of a visual learner so that works for me! But I started keto the 1st of January and have yet to weigh myself. Feel free to add me I’d love to see your journey!
  • LilMamaz707
    Options
    Thank you so much for your tips ladies. I have been trying to research keto friendly starbucks drinks, but I have such a sweet tooth. Just like my coffee in the morning I never realized how many carbs are in coffee creamer. Its kind of crazy.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Get plenty of electrolytes - sodium, potassium, magnesium. There are some groups on MFP that would be helpful.
  • LilMamaz707
    Options
    Get plenty of electrolytes - sodium, potassium, magnesium. There are some groups on MFP that would be helpful.

That's awesome, do you know which ones?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    These are the most active:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    I want to do Keto but not real sure how it works. Also, a little nervous I heard that it can cause kidney stones and I had 20 last year the size of quarters. :'(

Ouch.
    Stones are not usually an issue for keto'ers but it bears keeping an eye on.
  • LilMamaz707
    Options
    I started Keto because of a bladder related problem. Low sugar and only vegetable occurring carbs for the last month. I’m 31 days in and have lost 12 lbs. I used to cook and bake professionally. I’ve been super excited to learn new ways to cook and bake. After 3 days of Keto, I had shaken the sugar addiction and could feel that is was a mental want not a physical need of sugar. After 10 days I decided to throw away all the food in my house and start over. Best choice I’ve ever made.

That is pretty awesome. I love to bake and cook when I have time. But between a full time student, employee, mom/step mom, my time can be very limited. So far I have tried simple meals that I can keep up with during the week which is pretty awesome
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I don't know anything about Keto diet, but i know a fair bit about kidneys. And if this diet can make an existing problem worse, I would seek medical/professional advice. Last thing you want is to damage your kidneys, believe me
  • pattycakes_bakersman
    Options
    I buy Vega Sport Electrolyte to keep my salts, magnesium and potassium high. It's one of the only mixes out there with no sugar. It's my go to solution to avoid keto flu.

Also Starbucks will do any drink you want with heavy cream. They have sugar free vanilla and cinnamon solve syrups that won't knock you out of ketosis. Hope this helps. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • JonathanG2200
    JonathanG2200 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did keto for just 3 weeks before Xmas. I've also done it in the past as well. I find it works great to kick start weight loss and once in a routine is surprisingly easy to stick to. I'm thinking of going back on it with fasting days now and again to see how I react to that.
  • AlexMorganMc
    AlexMorganMc Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Heya! Keto gal here (and always looking for new friends, so anyone feel free to add me.)

The most important thing for me was making sure I kept up my electrolytes and didn't skimp on the fat. I was so scared of the idea of fat when I first started that I ate too much protein. I was miserable. Proper macros can be calculated by using this calculator:

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Also, don't forget that fiber is your friend! :-)
  • wtomsej
    wtomsej Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m on blood pressure meds that retain potassium, so I can’t take potassium supplements. With keto avocado is used a lot for fat, but is also a very good source of dietary potassium.