Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    OMG. The BS in this thread. It must be January.

Remember “muscle confusion”, invented by the P90 guy? Lol

Now, we have metabolic confusion? Lol

Until you link to the peer reviewed research study, I’m calling total BS.

Muscle confusion" really is rooted in fitness science. The basic science marketed as "muscle confusion" comes from research at PhD level you can download s paper on the subject.

Link please?

This is one :smile:
    http://sciencedrivennutrition.com/dieting-and-metabolism/

this is one helps;

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/12/16/dr-david-ludwig-clears-up-carbohydrate-confusion/

I seem to remember a mata study to
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I feel a bit dense, but what's "metabolic confusion"?

Nonsense...

Its not ... its valid

I'd be interested to see peer reviewed, replicated, research on that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    danrhess wrote: »
    AnvilHead, Isn't eating meant to fuel the body? Eating a large dinner at 7:30 doesn't seem smart. I go to bed around 9:30... not leaving my body much time to use that food. Maybe it will be stored if the carbs aren't used initially?... You're stomach never rests, but if there is nothing in it... the body will pull from other places (fat, muscle) for the energy....

1) The first error is assuming that the body won't "use" that food while asleep. Everything in your body is still functioning at night, and it takes energy to fuel it. Your brain is still working, your central nervous system is still functioning, your heart is still pumping, you're still breathing, your body is constantly in the process of digestion, nutrient transport, cellular repair, balancing all the hormones, etc. necessary for homeostasis and a ton of other functions. You don't go into suspended animation when you sleep. Your brain and liver are the two organs in your body which use the largest percentage of the energy needs which constitute your BMR, and both of them are still fully functioning while you sleep (see research review here.) As shown in the research review, your liver, brain, kidneys and heart constitute around 70-80% of your resting caloric expenditure - and guess what? All those things are busily working away while you're sleeping.

2) The entire process of digestion takes longer than most people think. While your stomach empties in a few hours, the food remains in your intestines (where it's further digested/metabolized/absorbed) for up to 30-40 hours. It's not like you eat and your body is all done with that food and has neatly tucked it away into compartments by the time you're done sleeping.

3) There is no net storage of fat in a caloric deficit, regardless of what you eat or when you eat it. There is certainly some storage of nutrients, or your body wouldn't function - but that doesn't mean it automagically turns to fat. There are actually very limited and rare circumstances where carbs are converted to fat. Carbs are primarily metabolized into glucose (which is used for cellular processes) and glycogen (which is stored in the muscles and liver).

4) The thought of your body only pulling from other places when your stomach is empty, or only when you're asleep, makes the assumption that the process is like a light switch - on or off. We're in a constant flux between anabolism and catabolism all day, every day, and it's not a light switch, it's a continuum.

Not arguing at all. All points are valid.

One question though as it relates to sleeping. There are a few differences. For instance, I have read that your heart rate slows but your body heats up. This is supposedly a process that ensures you get rest (slow heart rate), but stay safe (warm).

I only bring this up out of interest. I realize it’s off-topic but maybe relevant as your body does some tricky things while sleeping. While I don’t think you go into suspension or anything, things happen that are different when you are awake.

I don’t know if any of that is relevant at all. Probably not. Just thought it might be worth bringing up.

If the sleep tracking on my Garmin is any indicator, the heart rate certainly does go down while sleeping. My heart rate stays from the high 40s to low/mid 50s pretty much the entire time I'm asleep, and you can then see the elevation after I get up and start moving around. I'm not sure what body temp does during sleep.

I'm no expert on sleep, but I'm sure the body does different things while sleeping. IIRC, EEGs show that your brain patterns are altered, you're moving around less than when you're awake, etc. Nonetheless, all your involuntary functions (metabolism, respirations, circulation, etc.) are still going on, so energy expenditure is still happening via all the nonstop physiological processes.

Of the four processes that expend energy (BMR, NEAT, EAT, TEF), BMR is the main one still happening while you sleep. For most people, BMR constitutes about 65-70% of their daily energy expenditure, so what I was addressing was the apparently pretty common misconception that the body doesn't burn anything while we're asleep and that any food remaining in your stomach/intestines will instantly be converted to fat because you didn't "burn it off" before you laid down to sleep.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

The debate section is designed for users to debate various topics of interest. If you have to resort to insulting other members to make your point then you are no longer debating, you are attacking. Attacking is against the MFP guidelines. If you need to review the guidelines prior to further posting they can be found here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Sincerely,
    4legs