Mission: break a sugar addiction and tame emotional eating

Options

Replies

• MelaniefromGA
    MelaniefromGA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Mike.
    I haven’t figured out how to copy/paste what someone writes and then respond or how to do ... @name
  • EmperorBlack
    EmperorBlack Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @EmperorBlack I'm trying to find the tricks that help me to stay on track. So far staying hydrated, drinking a variety of teas (black, green, herbal), and meal planning has gotten me through my first week with no cheating. ;) I'm trying to incorporate daily meditation, but that has been MUCH harder to stick to.

I might try the teas thing. I’ve started the gym too. First session tonight haha. I’m aching just thinking about it. But hoping the happy kick I’ll get from it will stop the bleh upset eating cycle xx keep it up. You can totally do this !
  • EPmomdoc
    EPmomdoc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We have a candy drawer- I avoided it all week- even donated a whole beautiful box of delicious chocolates that a patient gave me for Christmas and didn’t take a single one out last week
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    @MelaniefromGA I’ll support you! Not everyone is happy about me cutting down sugary things. Loads at work keep offering me biscuit and cake lol. Keep strong!

The easiest way for me to deal with at work stuff was just stop eating between meals.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not a sugar addict in that I have no issues with fruit (which are as sugar as anything I eat) and can easily overeat other very tasty foods (good cheese, many foods that are a mix of fat and carbs and salt -- naan, oh my goodness!, especially dipped in some curry), but I am definitely a stress and emotional eater and have been needing to refocus on mindfulness and finding other ways to deal with emotions. I tend to find it easiest to overeat/use foods to self-sooth when it's stuff that's highly palatable but not something I'm invested in cooking myself (and I tend to make it healthier when I have the cooking process to separate myself from wanting to eat and eating). So for me what is helpful is focusing on how much I enjoy homemade meals with lots of nutrient dense ingredients and trying new ways to cook them and so on.

I am taking a break right now from snacky and dessert foods entirely and only eating at meals and no dessert other than fruit. I'll probably have dessert on occasion again once I stop wanting to use it as an excuse to blot out feelings.

Now you set off my cravings.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you ever figure out how to curb emotional eating, please share with the class. Mine is much worse.
  • danilovesgave
    danilovesgave Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hello! I'm pretty new here but sweets are my weakness. I recently watched a video where a girl said that if you hate your diet, it absolutely will make you fail. She makes sure she can have one reese cup a day so she can stick to her goals.
    My goal is to eat healthier and I find I'm staying away from starch and fruits for the time being, with the exception of one 100 calorie pack of something I love per day. I've been doing great so far because if it isn't at home I won't eat it.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    my best defense against emotional eating is keeping myself busy doing "stuff". About 30 days ago, my company just announced it was merging with a competitor, and right now as I write this, I have no idea if I will have a job in 30 days - and if I do, what it will actually be or where. I keep my mind busy by working out, playing guitar, riding my motorcycle, my bicycle, cleaning, laundry, fitness research, creating workouts to do in the future.... anything except sitting and thinking about my emotional trigger at the moment.
  • bourbonrose
    bourbonrose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    While long (1.5 hours), this video by a UCSF endocrinologist about the impacts of sugar is a must see (or listen) for everyone trying to reduce their sugar intake. I’ve watched it a couple of times in the past, but it’s time for me to revisit it. I’d love to hear your thoughts on it if you do watch it.

https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM
  • jor3c
    jor3c Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    2017 was a doozy for many of us... personnally lots of stress, loss and deaths so I KNOW how that feels.
    I started this journey several years ago and was doing well at keeping within healthy eating and weight but 2017 I completely lost it.... momentum, accountability, and healthy diet fell by the way side and in turn weight kept going up and up each month...
    I started my journey at highest point in life: 172lbs (I am a 5'2 Female) around 6 years ago.
    lowest weight was 118 lbs (my goal as 115 lbs) about 3.5 years ago....
    maintained decently with semi-healthy choices and exercise between 120-125lbs until end of 2016
    2017 was a Total dietary (read NO accountability) Mess....and no exercise stress out of the roof at home...schedule way off and no sleeping more than 3-4 hours a night for over a year...with no end in sight to same for this year.
    so 2018 begins with Attempting to do better dietary and exercise....
    2018 start weight 135.9 lbs
    Goal still 115lbs, but if I am in the lower 120's I will be happy...
    My old addictions to sugar/baked goods and Dr Pepper are formidable adversaries especially as when stressed I turn to baking/cooking and such.

Wishing everyone the best of luck in whatever direction they go with diet/exercise changes.

• MelaniefromGA
    Options
    @MelaniefromGA I’ll support you! Not everyone is happy about me cutting down sugary things. Loads at work keep offering me biscuit and cake lol. Keep strong!

Thank you! In all transparency...I’m at a college football championship game party and I are a brownie with fudge icing. YUM! But boo because I’ve ignited my sugar cravings.
    BTW...Go DAWGS, beat Bama!
  • MelaniefromGA
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    If you ever figure out how to curb emotional eating, please share with the class. Mine is much worse.

I’m with you about curbing emotional eating..,I’ve found if I can pause for a minute and stay in the moment with my intention, it’s easier to stop my knee-jerk reaction to want to eat or overeat

I’m finding it’s a sort of spiritual thing for me, I try to pause, pray and take positive action.
  • MelaniefromGA
    Options
    @Mike1804,,.. totally agree...do whatever I have to to quell the emotional trigger! Issue centers in my mind, not an empty stomach!
  • PHXBlondie
    PHXBlondie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. I’m down 8.2 lbs so far this year, but have another 50 to go. My mind can get heavy sometimes and be disgusted with myself for letting myself get so undisciplined that I’m in this situation.

I’m trying to be gentle with myself and just put one foot in front of the other. I typically have trouble with sweets, too. I eat pretty healthy, but am a good baker. So, I just need to stay out of the kitchen. My husband and I are empty nesters, so baking at home usually mean overindulgence because it’s just the two of us.

I’d welcome friend requests from anyone else also trying to make major changes and looking for some accountability.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Love reading what everyone has written. I’m def. a sugar addict! Think I’ve known for a while, but FINALLY decided to say it out loud and share with others. Must admit, not everyone is supportative with my choice to cut out sugary foods. I’m starting with cutting out cake, etc. desserts of all kinds and white potatoes and bread. I also LOVE coffee, gotta tackle that too. Need an overhaul! Hoping y’all can help me stay motivated and teach me how to live this way.

Whats wrong with potatoes i struggle with sugar but potatoes are the main thing i eat and their wonderful and nutrient dense

Lots of starch which turns into glucose once digested.
  • MelaniefromGA
    Options
    Good Morning! Feeling bloated after indulging in food at a party last night, but not going to let that get me down. No sugar or processed food today and 10,000 steps on thread mill at gym tonight. May you all have a great day!
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What's helping me the most so far is to turn the tv off and get to bed by 2100 or so. Night is the worst time for me. Up at 0500 every morning and between workouts and reduced caloric intake, I collapse into bed early. I've always been a night owl; this is a huge change for me.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also I'm trying to avoid artificially sweetened stuff, even drinking straight green tea to beat my tongue into submission. I love sugar so much it's hard to break up.