Carb "Addiction"

My biggest culprit is carbs. I adore pasta, breads, rice, etc. My heritage (Irish/Scandinavian) is big on the carbs as well as sugars. I have no issue eating a low/no card meal at the start. But after a few days, I'm am "hangry" and start craving anything with bread. Any help/suggestions on what I can do to deter these cravings?

Replies

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    If you aren't limiting carbs for other health reasons, perhaps don't do it? If you are, perhaps try tapering the carbs off over a period of time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    Portion control is your friend, as long as you're in a calorie deficit and meeting your nutritional needs in terms of minimum protein and fat requirements there is nothing wrong with eating carbs. I have eaten pizza, potatoes, pasta, rice, doughnuts, biscuits, etc (in moderation) the whole time I have been losing weight.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    MattyM87 wrote: »
    My biggest culprit is carbs. I adore pasta, breads, rice, etc. My heritage (Irish/Scandinavian) is big on the carbs as well as sugars. I have no issue eating a low/no card meal at the start. But after a few days, I'm am "hangry" and start craving anything with bread. Any help/suggestions on what I can do to deter these cravings?

Hello fellow Irish/Scandinavian (Norwegian)! Question - when you eat the carbs and sugar, do you go over your calorie limit, or are you fitting those foods into your calorie/nutrition goals? If they don't cause you to overeat, and you're meeting your minimum protein/fat goals, consider leaving them in for the time being and just focusing on the calories. You may find your tastes change as you go along, or you may find that keeping them as part of your food plan is what works for you in the long run.

If you find that they're a trigger food and cause you to overeat, and want to experiment with low carb, check out the group @AlabasterVerve linked to above. Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    If you like carbs (I do too) then work them into your diet (noun and verb) - it's far easier to lose weight and maintain weight when you get to goal if you actually enjoy the food you eat.
    Making food choices boring and unappetising seems like setting yourself up to fail to me.

Just think of all those healthy and slim people living in the so called Blue Zones who have a high proportion of carbs in their diet. No reason you can't do the same.

Learn portion control, no matter your food choices it's a very useful skill.