Carb "Addiction"

2»

Replies

• Thr33N1N3
    Thr33N1N3 Posts: 39 Member
    Just sharing my experience and opinions, because everyone is different. So..If you have a need to take most carbs out of your diet, you probably will have to go completely keto to reduce and/or eliminate the cravings. I went from eating what I wanted/craved all day to one meal a day, without any cravings. Having carb foods you enjoy once in a while won't do you that much better than just eating what you want and fitting it into your calorie goals. Eat how you want to eat the rest of your life. If you are just someone lowering carbs as a fad, then keto isn't for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Eat through the cravings with no/low carb foods - meat, eggs and the like are good. Give yourself a few weeks to adjust and not worry about calories. Once you get over the hurdle of the first few weeks your appetite/cravings will calm down and you should be good to go.

After that point, if you experience carb cravings or feel unreasonably cold those are signs you're not eating enough calories even if you don't feel particularly hungry. Good luck and if you haven't yet, join the Low Carbers Daily group - lots of info to be found there.

The OP would do this to what end? If there is not metabolic advantage, it is not their preferred was to eat and there is not health condition that requires it, what is the gain to be had?

If you believe there is a metabolic advantage, please post the peer reviewed studies that indicate it.

I do not know why the OP opted to try a low carb diet after being a member here for six years, I just answered the question.

I know many lack the imagination/empathy needed to understand how someone could possibly choose to eat (and maintain) a low carb diet even without a "metabolic advantage", even though they enjoy carb heavy foods and even though they don't have a medical condition. And yet it happens. Go figure.

Who knows why they tried it. Read one too many woo blogs maybe? But if they struggle with it and it has no advantage, why would someone do it? You didn't really answer that question. You just basically suggested they just push on through. Again, to what end if it is a struggle and there is no metabolic advantage?
  • mmapags
    There has not been a single study that I've seen where calories and protein were held constant that show a metabolic advantage. And I have looked and debated this topic for over 5 years. If you have something, please share it.

PS: I see the pro keto crowd knows where the woo button is. Do they know where the scientific studies are??

Definitely snorted at this. A literal laugh out load.

Glad I could brighten your day a little! ;)
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    edited January 2018
    There has not been a single study that I've seen where calories and protein were held constant that show a metabolic advantage. And I have looked and debated this topic for over 5 years. If you have something, please share it.

PS: I see the pro keto crowd knows where the woo button is. Do they know where the scientific studies are??

Love it.

You may want to trademark this line, I think it's going to get used a lot.
  • mmapags
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Eat through the cravings with no/low carb foods - meat, eggs and the like are good. Give yourself a few weeks to adjust and not worry about calories. Once you get over the hurdle of the first few weeks your appetite/cravings will calm down and you should be good to go.

After that point, if you experience carb cravings or feel unreasonably cold those are signs you're not eating enough calories even if you don't feel particularly hungry. Good luck and if you haven't yet, join the Low Carbers Daily group - lots of info to be found there.

The OP would do this to what end? If there is not metabolic advantage, it is not their preferred was to eat and there is not health condition that requires it, what is the gain to be had?

If you believe there is a metabolic advantage, please post the peer reviewed studies that indicate it.

So, you don't think that a ketogenic diet (not just "low carb") has any metabolic advange over just a well-balanced, carby diet?

There has not been a single study that I've seen where calories and protein were held constant that show a metabolic advantage. There can be a useful application for those with insulin resistance and if one can't control carb cravings then possibly. But for fat loss? No.

And I have looked and debated this topic for over 5 years. If you have something, please share it.

zgpoD_s-200x150.gif
    :D
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Work those food items into your calories? You can eat bread to lose weight as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

^ this