Started yoga

Options
So starting the first I added beginners yoga to my aerobics, my doctor said it would help with my back and help me sleep so I don't have to take So many sleeping pills. So far my back has gotten really tight and sore and I am unable to sleep through the night cause of pain. I am thinking this is just like when you do a new work out, you're bound to be sore, but it hasn't dissipated. Should I keep at it or make an appointment with my doctor again? Has anyone else had this happen?

Replies

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Panys_mom wrote: »
    So starting the first I added beginners yoga to my aerobics, my doctor said it would help with my back and help me sleep so I don't have to take So many sleeping pills. So far my back has gotten really tight and sore and I am unable to sleep through the night cause of pain. I am thinking this is just like when you do a new work out, you're bound to be sore, but it hasn't dissipated. Should I keep at it or make an appointment with my doctor again? Has anyone else had this happen?

It's hard to say what it is, but I've a had a few back surgeries. I tend to ignore my pain and symptoms until things get too bad. My doctor gave me great advice...if the pain persists for two weeks or if the pain is so great that it disrupts sleep you should be seen by a doctor. If probably back off of yoga for a bit and make an appointment. Good luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If it's muscular soreness, try this stretch hourly:
    https://youtu.be/1VBXcrhD64g?t=55s
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    One of the great things about yoga is that it's not like aerobic classes where you need to stick close to whatever everybody else is doing. It's understood that everybody's practice is different and every day you feel different. Yoga instructors usually tell you at the front of the class "Child's Pose" is always available. Listen to your body; if your back is feeling tweaky or sore avoid some of the bending poses or strength positions like planks. Just go into Child's Pose and pick up the routine when you are ready. You may also want to check out heated yoga classes. The heat will help you work out kinks.

Remember to be patient and not overdo your exercise, especially when you are just getting back. Low impact activities like walking is also another great option. This is a journey.

Just on the personal level, I have no idea what you have to go through to get to sleep but try to minimize the pills. Perhaps a mattress adjustment like a memory foam topper (3-4 inches) might help provide more support and relief.

Keep up the great work!
  • Panys_mom
    Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The pills are for broken sleep. I work over nights and take care of my daughter is the day. Take her to school, sleep a few hours, pick her up, dinner, homework, sleep till work. Still, mattress adjustment may be nice.
  • caila_b
    caila_b Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you're practicing at a studio, ask your instructor for some extra movements to help with your specific areas of pain. You may need to adjust the frequency of your classes until your body gets used to the routine, and definitely pay attention to your form. You may be favoring a certain side of your body which can put your whole stance out of whack.

After a doctor's visit to make sure you haven't tweaked anything too badly, I'd also recommend using a foam or stick roller immediately after a heated flow. My muscles get extremely tight and wonky when I haven't practiced in awhile/when I first started, and sometimes you just need a bit extra to work out a few stubborn knots.
  • Panys_mom
    Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not in a studio. I have. DVD, same with my aerobics. I will look into a roller, but I have an inverted table that popped something back to where it goes. After I felt and slept a bit better. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to at least a few live classes in a studio. A lot of people use incorrect form when doing yoga which can cause injury. An instructor will be able to give you corrections which can help and then you can continue your practice at home. I practice at home but will go for a live class every 4-6 months to make sure my form is still correct. They will also be able to give you variations to certain poses based on your back issues.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I took a beginner yoga class. I asked the instructor to check my form and she would show me how to adjust my form. It made a huge difference!! My guess is you could benefit from consulting a real live person for one or two sessions, then you can return to your DVD. Don’t do yoga every day for now. Use a yoga mat. Take a warm bath before you go to bed to help relax those muscles.