Out running a bad diet

Options
2»

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Graphic example: I once ran a long foot race that burned 3500 calories (I wore a HRM).

On another occasion, I ate a single serving of a dessert (in the United States, lol) that was 3200 calories.

Ain't nobody running 30 miles after they eat that dessert, by and large.

Wow, I'm curious to know what sort of dessert is that calorie dense! The fact the cheesecake factory cheesecakes are over 1k calories in a slice kills me....3k though!?

This guy is 1560 - I could see some crazy giant desert special being twice that. https://www.applebees.com/en/menu/desserts/blue-ribbon-brownie
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Graphic example: I once ran a long foot race that burned 3500 calories (I wore a HRM).

On another occasion, I ate a single serving of a dessert (in the United States, lol) that was 3200 calories.

Ain't nobody running 30 miles after they eat that dessert, by and large.

Wow, I'm curious to know what sort of dessert is that calorie dense! The fact the cheesecake factory cheesecakes are over 1k calories in a slice kills me....3k though!?

It was some kind of apple pie blossom thing a la mode I ate at a Cracker Barrel in Michigan. I cycled several hours that day so it still fit in my calorie budget, but my jaw almost fell off my face when I logged the calories after getting back to my motel.

I wouldn't be surprised if people tended to split it between partners, but on the other hand, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if people had it all to themselves. I did - although I was a little queasy after.

God bless distance cycling!
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is time:

How long does it take to burn 500 calories?
    -vs-
    How long does it take to not eat/be mindful of 500 extra calories?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use the calorie burn calculation as a guide but let the scale be the final judge. Without changing my eating habits much I have found that if I run 25+ miles a week I lose weight, 15 to 25 I maintain and fewer than 10 I gain. Which is why I have put twenty five pounds on.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    naculp wrote: »
    Another thing to consider is time:

How long does it take to burn 500 calories?

About an hour

-vs-
    How long does it take to not eat/be mindful of 500 extra calories?

LOL. is this a contest?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i had the tiniest wimp of a chocolate cake "slice" that i split....it was 1500 calories. Was pathetic
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have seen it said a number of times that you can’t outrun a bad diet, or that weight loss is 80% diet, but if it is as simple as CICO then I don’t understand.
    Is it just that certain foods are less likely to keep you satisfied and therefore will make it harder to maintain eating at a deficit, especially when nearing your goal weight?

Yes.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have seen it said a number of times that you can’t outrun a bad diet, or that weight loss is 80% diet, but if it is as simple as CICO then I don’t understand.
    Is it just that certain foods are less likely to keep you satisfied and therefore will make it harder to maintain eating at a deficit, especially when nearing your goal weight?

It simply means that, for many people they need to look at their diet as while exercise can help create a deficit, and of course is good for health, it isn't usually the magical key to weightloss that people can think it is. Not on it's own anyway.

As an example, I would have had to to do a hell of a lot of exercise to out run some of the daily diet choices I was previously making and the portion sizes I was having. It is far more realistic and sustainable, for me, to alter that and see exercise as about improving my fitness, and with the added bonus of creating more of a deficit while I am at it. Rather than continuing my previous food habits and hoping to burn off enough to make up for it which in my case was never going to happen.