Obese & Frustrated With Weak Body

Options
I like exercise. It makes me feel better, it feels cleansing emotionally to ground myself in the physicality of exercise. It makes it easier to watch what I’m eating simply because you can’t walk/do downward dog with a too full tummy.

I’ve had to be so careful to not injure myself again, and I’m having all of these strange and bizarre aches anyway. I get headaches after working out a lot, and I’ve got this bruised tailbone even through I didn’t hit it on anything.

I just want to go exercise, to breathe hard and sweat and feel that grounding, and the waiting for my body to heal, to get stronger so I can just be Normal - it is so frustrating!

If you’re someone who was obese or dealing with a weak/easily injured body, how did you deal with the waiting?

I just want to feel like a person, not in so much pain! And I’ve realized this is my pattern, I start working out/eating less and then I get sidelined with pain, and then I stop both and slip into destructive behaviour

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what your program is it's hard to make suggestions, but for me, when I'm feeling a bit weaker and want to get sweaty and get a good workout in without pain, I normally get on a lifefitness elliptical. They're the most common gym elliptical out there and the motion is more natural(for most people) than other manufacturers.

You could try rowing as well, but with a bruised/painful tailbone that may not be ideal.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I qualify as that person. However I didn't wait to recover I just adjusted my work out to let that part of my body recover. Only once did I stop due to my knee being so bad but the moment I could I went in and did exercises that focused on other parts of my body. I have had to give up athritis medicine and it's so painful but I push through it at the gym. I feel better for it. I have a really bad knee it needs replaced but I caved in and got a shot put in it. There was some relief enough it got me going again. Don't just sit home. Giving into it means you will never find consistency.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Also, learn what pain is simply DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and what is an injury. Let injuries heal but work through DOMS. Yes, you have to give yourself rest days with any kind of exercise, especially in the beginning. But, don't let one rest day turn into a rest week. Keep moving and you'll find the soreness goes away much quicker.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I stick to walking for now and even that can come with a lot of pain. Carrying around 200 extra pounds (now 170) is pretty rough and I'm not ready to do intense exercise. When I started in October I would write down how long I walked, what hurt, and how intense that pain was. I wanted to remember how difficult something as simple as walking was so that I would never be tempted to quit making improvements in my health and weight. I'm 3 months in now and 80% of that original pain is gone. Surprisingly, it came down to finding the right pair of shoes to make my back pain go away. I bought new shoes and bam... back pain was completely gone. I also make sure I don't overdo it and that I take proper rest days so my body can recover. I went from only being able to walk for 6 agonizing minutes to now walking an hour a day with little to no pain.

Thank you for sharing this! I think I need to track this stuff too - either, as some people suggested, to see a doctor, (or someone about orthotics, my feet are weird and I know I never wear correct shoes) or just to be more self aware about what soreness & pain to expect.

I too am sticking to walking & cycling - the elliptical actually aggravates my IT band issues so I have to avoid it, although it used to be my machine of choice too, as someone else said. I cut myself off after 20min of cycling and 30min of walking, but yeah I have to really restrain myself because I want to keep going.

In the past, I’ve kept going and hurt myself and then sulked, slipped out of the habit, and stopped exercise entirely. I’ve been so so so sedentary that my body is so weak & it is a problem I am so large now.

I think I’ll also need to plan “rest days” - I’ve read that adding exercise into your calendar like an appointment is a good idea, and I think it might be good to also do that for enforced, planned rest days. I did my walk Sunday and cycled Monday and now everything hurts, and I think it was a mistake.
  • kiela64
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    Also, learn what pain is simply DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and what is an injury. Let injuries heal but work through DOMS. Yes, you have to give yourself rest days with any kind of exercise, especially in the beginning. But, don't let one rest day turn into a rest week. Keep moving and you'll find the soreness goes away much quicker.

Yes I absolutely need to figure that out. I have had so many serious health issues I kinda jump when I have pain. At the same time, I thought my DVT was just a sore calf muscle from exercising (and to be fair so did a nurse), and when I dislocated my kneecap I was like “oh I just pulled a muscle whatever” until my knee was basically watermelon sized.....lol.

And re: strength training:

It is a good idea, and I plan to do so eventually. However, I am worried I may need to be stronger doing every day things like walking to begin something like that. I am doing a physio regime to help strengthen certain weak muscles (glutes, ankles, calves) that are not yet at normal function. I wouldn’t want to add more weight to the weak spots before they can carry me as is, or I get smaller. That’s why cycling is good, because it relieves my legs from my body weight, while working those muscles to build functional strength.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    I had to eliminate sugar in order to address the aches and pains that were happening in my knees and back. Once I got the inflammation down, things got better. I will be honest though, when I was at my bigger weight, I never pushed myself too, too hard because of fear of injury. So all I ever did was walk and do isometric weight training. (push ups, sit ups, planks...things that kept me firmly on the ground) I walked slowly at first and then a bit quicker later. I added ankle weights and arm weights but I never did more than walking. Once i lost the first 20 pounds, I started slowly walking up and down hills. That was it. I focused on getting that heart rate up-not so much on sweating. I also walked in the swimming pool and did non-weight bearing exercises.

Now that I am 70 pounds lighter, I can do a little running (very little), skip rope a little. The most important thing to remember when we are obese is that injury must be avoided at all costs. If you get injured and it takes a while to heal, it can disrupt your entire plan and cause some depression.

Regarding your tailbone, I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes it can be caused by sitting too much or sitting in a chair that aggravates the area. I used to have the same issue and I discovered it was due to how I was sitting up in my recliner. Check that out. If that's not it, you may need to visit a doctor.

It's ok to push youself, just be smart about it. That weight is going to come off and you will be free to do more. Be patient. YOU GOT THIS. So proud of what you are doing.

It is interesting that reducing sugar helped with pain. It’s something I’m trying to do just because of calories (I want to eat more when things are sweet, when sweeter things are higher in calories anyway). I also feel like I am actually tasting my food when I reduce sugar in it. But that’s another good reason.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Progress in fitness happens by adaptations caused by specific stimuli

However unfit you are you can always improve by causing those adaptations.

So if your cardio vascular fitness needs to improve you need to do just enough
    exercise to trigger the adaptation. What you to do is repeatedly do just enough to cause improvement without injuring yourself

The biology can only happen at the rate it can. So you need to be patient. What I mean is for example

one of the adaptations to cardiovascular exercise is to increase the number of blood capillaries made

the process to build the cells that make those new vessels takes time

Summing up: getting fit takes time, stick with doing just enough to provoke your body to adapt
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    jessicapk wrote: »

Yes I absolutely need to figure that out. I have had so many serious health issues I kinda jump when I have pain. At the same time, I thought my DVT was just a sore calf muscle from exercising (and to be fair so did a nurse), and when I dislocated my kneecap I was like “oh I just pulled a muscle whatever” until my knee was basically watermelon sized.....lol.

And re: strength training:

It is a good idea, and I plan to do so eventually. However, I am worried I may need to be stronger doing every day things like walking to begin something like that. I am doing a physio regime to help strengthen certain weak muscles (glutes, ankles, calves) that are not yet at normal function. I wouldn’t want to add more weight to the weak spots before they can carry me as is, or I get smaller. That’s why cycling is good, because it relieves my legs from my body weight, while working those muscles to build functional strength.

I feel where you're coming from but remember, strength training starts at ground zero and works up from there. If you have to start with the lightest weight possible, it doesn't matter. Not like cycling (and don't get me wrong - I LOVE cycling), where you have to work with a minimum weight (you plus the bike) or even running (your bodyweight), with strength training, you start wherever you feel comfortable but challenged. If this is a 1lb weight or 150lbs, that's fine! You start there and move up from there. I wish someone had explained it to me when I was at my heaviest and I'd be a hell of a lot stronger now :smile:
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I'm "returning" (for a couple months now) after a nearly year long injury that had me pretty sidelined - significant part of that was due to the injury itself, part of it was just the stress it was causing. Either way, I had been away from the gym for nearly a year. Just before the injury, I had been getting VERY fit, and feeling rather fantastic about it as I was nearing my "highest" fitness levels from earlier in my life.

When I started back to working out, I started out very lightly and immediately had a personal trainer (who is familiar with my sport and who I went into detail with about my injury) set up a "get back into it" routine. I did that for several weeks, actually a couple months as at first it was more sporadic. Finally I felt like my body was adapting and ready for more, so I found a gym and had him put together a new plan. After doing that for about 6 weeks now, I'm ready to move onto a more intense plan again.

Even along this path I've had to take it easy on some days, or with some muscle groups, one shoulder in particular seemed to be trying to get some tendonitis flare-up, so I had to go easy on exercises that worked that too hard.

If you're in pain, slow down, or go lighter on weights, or work a different muscle group, but don't quite, either (unless your doctor tells you otherwise). Keeping moving, keeping the blood flowing, all of that will help you heal.