First Day of Keto Lifestyle

Options
This has been my first day of eating for ketosis. Please, experienced keto-ers take a look at my food diary and offer suggestions!
Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    On keto, you're supposed to eat high fat and moderate protein. Try, for instance, 95 grams of fat and 70 grams of protein.

And just to have mentioned it - you don't have to eat keto to lose weight, you lose weight by eating in a calorie deficit.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Looking at your Monday, it appears you're eating more protein than you need and should likely up the fat. You'll want to be 70% fat (by calories), 20% protein, and 5% carbs. Other than that, you're doing ok.

Remember that during the first few days, you're likely to feel bad keto flu (which I prefer to call carb withdrawals).

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Looking at your Monday, it appears you're eating more protein than you need and should likely up the fat. You'll want to be 70% fat (by calories), 20% protein, and 5% carbs. Other than that, you're doing ok.

Remember that during the first few days, you're likely to feel bad keto flu (which I prefer to call carb withdrawals).

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast

Where do the other 5% macros go?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Do NOT restrict your protein. That is absolutely CRAZY you are not eating too much protein and you could stand to eat quite a bit more. The only thing you need for ketosis is carb restriction. That's it. When you get hungry - and you will get hungry 1,100 calories isn't enough - eat larger portions of the meals you're already eating. Do not worry about fat/protein percentages, just eat more.

Your day looks great and what you're eating is perfect. You can't go wrong with meat and vegetables. Well done.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do NOT restrict your protein. That is absolutely CRAZY you are not eating too much protein and you could stand to eat quite a bit more. The only thing you need for ketosis is carb restriction. That's it. When you get hungry - and you will get hungry 1,100 calories isn't enough - eat larger portions of the meals you're already eating. Do not worry about fat/protein percentages, just eat more.

Your day looks great and what you're eating is perfect. You can't go wrong with meat and vegetables. Well done.

I agree with this that protein restriction is not necessary at all. To be ketogenic, all you need to do is restrict carbs to somewhere under 20-50g, or more if you are active. A ketogenic diet can be low protein (only for those with a medical need like epileptics), moderate protein (20-30% about), or high protein.

As a general rule, protein is the one macro that should normally not be reduced when one is trying to cut calories, unless your protein was very high (150g +). Keeping a higher protein intake may help with satiety and will help the body retain its muscle a bit more than the other macros.

I agree that 1100 kcal is a bit low. You may want to eat more if you are hungry.

This group may be able to give you more tips:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck!
  • ravingsounds
    ravingsounds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I agree with this that protein restriction is not necessary at all. To be ketogenic, all you need to do is restrict carbs to somewhere under 20-50g, or more if you are active. A ketogenic diet can be low protein (only for those with a medical need like epileptics), moderate protein (20-30% about), or high protein.

As a general rule, protein is the one macro that should normally not be reduced when one is trying to cut calories, unless your protein was very high (150g +). Keeping a higher protein intake may help with satiety and will help the body retain its muscle a bit more than the other macros.

I agree that 1100 kcal is a bit low. You may want to eat more if you are hungry.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck!

That’s not all 100% true , there is such thing as eating too much protein while on the ketogenic diet , with a decrease in carbohydrates and over flow of protein in the body , the body can lead to a stasis called gluconeogenisis , which is when the protein molecules can be broken down into glycogen , thus interfering with the production of ketones and causing an imbalance and taking you out of ketosis. Keep the protein moderate a good macro to follow is the basic carb 5 % protein 20% and fat 75%. It’s all about eating enough protein to sustain muscle not throw off your body because your body will always choose glycogen as a prime energy source
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good luck!

That’s not all 100% true , there is such thing as eating too much protein while on the ketogenic diet , with a decrease in carbohydrates and over flow of protein in the body , the body can lead to a stasis called gluconeogenisis , which is when the protein molecules can be broken down into glycogen , thus interfering with the production of ketones and causing an imbalance and taking you out of ketosis. Keep the protein moderate a good macro to follow is the basic carb 5 % protein 20% and fat 75%. It’s all about eating enough protein to sustain muscle not throw off your body because your body will always choose glycogen as a prime energy source

This is keto-bro science (if that's a thing). Gluconeogenisis is demand-driven in healthy people - you don't make glycogen just because no matter how much protein you eat. Even medically therapeutic ketogenic diets are moving away from strict protein limits and seeing the same benefits as traditional therapeutic keto diets - it is absolutely not helpful for dieters to restrict protein.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good luck!

I disagree. Gluconeogenesis is demand driven. The liver will only make glucose if there is a need for it. Unless you have NAFLD and insulin resistance, the liver usually makes just enough blood glucose. It does not keep making glucose for no reason. This amount even decreases after becoming fat adapted.

Protein can lower ketone levels somewhat but it is a non issue for anyone who does not have a medical need for high ketones ( epilepsy or Alzheimer's). Protein levels need to be quite high to lower ketones in most people, like a protein intake over 200g. Even then, slightly lower ketones has no effect on weight loss. Ketones is just an alternate fuel for the brain. A great fuel, IMO, but one not needed for weight loss.

KWIM?

ETA oops. I did not see the above post that said the same thing. Ditto. :)