Keto questions

Options
I’m thinking about trying the Keto diet. It’s just so different than I’m used to eating. I have been doing low fat and low calorie diet with little success. I did Atkins years ago and weight watchers. I lost a lot of weight on WW, but honestly I was eating a lot less than they said I should. My metabolism is very slow. How do you wrap your head around eating fats when you’ve been eating low fat for so long? Anybody have advice on starting Keto?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think it's very strange but wonderful to let go of all the woo and fear, and allow myself anything I want. It's a work in progress. I started out with moderately low carb/high fat, and that was a delightful change from the low fat/high fiber I was used to. As I entered maintenance, I found out I didn't have to eat low carb either, and I had really missed bread, wraps and porridge, so it was wonderful to eat more of that again. I feel like I'm finally charge of my food intake, that I'm enjoying food the way it was meant to be enjoyed - anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time.

Your metabolism is fine. Weightloss is slow, and slower the less you have to lose. To lose weight, you have to eat less, consistently, for real, and for a long time.

I suggest picking (actually compose) a diet you can see yourself sticking to, happily, forever.
  • Koidudu
    Koidudu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It helps to remember that the healthy fats/oils are needed for everything from brain function to cell structure. Then you just enjoy the tastiness, without guilt. Just make sure that you're having the healthy stuff. I recently started going (mostly) keto, unintentionally. I read up on the Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Mosley and got started cos it recommends real food which looked so tasty and I've never been a fan of meal replacement shakes, artificial sweeteners or diet/lite food. I didn't find it hard to start cos theres plenty of flavour to keep it interesting. Then again, I was lucky enough to not have the carb flu. Although, to be honest, I did indulge a bit over Christmas and New Year.
  • rebekaxox
    rebekaxox Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroid so I gain weight too easily and it’s very hard to lose weight. I just started Keto last week and have already lost some weight! I’ve been trying to lose weight for years and this is the only thing that seems to be working for me :)
  • Sienasgrammy
    Sienasgrammy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty healthy, I’m just going to have to try it and learn that all fats aren’t bad! Thank y’all so much for your comments! They’re helping me a lot. I’m new to using the community and still figuring it all out, so feel free to add me! I haven’t figured out how to add friends yet
  • ilvme
    ilvme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    rebekaxox wrote: »
    I have Hypothyroid so I gain weight too easily and it’s very hard to lose weight. I just started Keto last week and have already lost some weight! I’ve been trying to lose weight for years and this is the only thing that seems to be working for me :)

I have hypothyroid too and I've been thinking of doing Keto. How's it going with it? Btw, I don't know how to add friends either, lol.
  • Jaydensmamma
    Jaydensmamma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's not so much wrapping your head around it as it is understanding that fat is not bad for you as long as it is healthy fat. The studies that came out years ago claiming that fat caused all sorts of health issues were not actually properly executed. They basically asked people what they ate without any further research into family history, lifestyle, addictions, prior health afflictions, ect. and thus concluded fats were bad. More recent research has come out with opposite results of the original studies.

Now, on a less sciency note, I have been doing keto about 11 days and have lost 8lbs. The diet works and there are many people who can attest to that as well. I wake up with a clearer head, feel energized, and it has completely gotten rid of my colitis symptoms in the short time I have been on it. I feel great!
  • TabbaZabba
    TabbaZabba Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing mostly-keto since July and have lost 18 pounds. If I'm being honest it wasn't difficult at all to wrap my head around eating more fat (because it tastes good!). For me it was more difficult limiting my fruits and certain veggies because I've ALWAYS tried eating plenty of fruits and veggies. I miss corn, tomatoes, sweet, tangerines, watermelon, potatoes, beans, etc.

My weight loss has been a little slower than some because I do allow myself red wine on the weekends but I'm pretty strict on carbs the rest of the time. My goal is to stay under 20 carbs a day but most days I probably stay under 30. It's also tough explaining the diet to friends when I eat around them because they don't get why I can't have fruit, root veggies, etc. (everyone gets not having bread, pasta, liquor- because those are things many diets restrict).

All I know is I'm losing weight at a moderate rate (which I'm fine with) and I DO feel better most of the time except for when I get headaches (presumably) from not getting enough sodium in my diet. Ohhh and most of the time, my hunger/cravings are very limited. I really am full for longer because I'm eating higher fat foods. Good luck everyone (regardless of what approach you take to weight loss)!
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    keto for going on 4 years. Have lost 100lbs+... from 217lbs to 115lbs. It becomes the way you eat! I don't miss bread, potatoes, rice or all the cakes & biscuits. In fact I find that when I do have something like a slice of cake I can't stand the after taste in my mouth... like burnt sugar.
  • hoffy346
    hoffy346 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also starting Keto, first time! I am trying to address some health issuea and see how diet changes (or doesn't) my health. Since August i have been eating vegan, which was very beneficial, but allowed me to eat carbs! I want to shift gears and try keto, but now Im back to meat and no more carbs. Going to be hard, but what I learned with eating vegan was to not panic and focus on whole foods. Also, always have my fridge stocked and plan ahead so you can make good choices more easily! Good luck!!!!