diet break/calorie suggestions

Options
Jingsi84
Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I would like some advice estimating actual maintenance calories since I am starting a ten day diet break today.

I have only been logging/weighing for 7 weeks but lost about 10 pounds before that in about a month just by cutting back. (Chalked the first 10lbs up to newbie loses.) Since then, I've averaged out my weight loss over these past 7 weeks and I am losing 3 lbs/week. I know this is too fast a loss (with 32 lbs more to lose) but I have MFP settings at .8 loss per week. MFP gives me a calorie goal of 1200/day which is clearly too low but I easily average that by the end of the week without experiencing an ounce of hunger/fatigue. I've listed my activity as sedentary because I sit at a desk 9 hours a day and read 4 hours at night but apparently I'm somehow at least lightly active. I don't work out, I'm 5'1.5", 42 years old and weigh 144.

My question is, if I add back 1500 calories/day to account for my 3lb/week weight loss, I would be eating about 2700 calories a day for maintenance but this seems insane for my stats. I want to get as close to maintenance as possible to optimize my diet break, though, and of course to figure out what my calorie goal should be moving forward. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What does MFP say your maintenance calories should be? I put your stats in a TDEE calculator and it said your maintenance calories are 1520. I’m not sure how you got to add 1500 back. You’d be regaining weight eating that much.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Did you try changing your MFP settings to maintain? that would be the easiest way to see what calories it puts you at.

At your height and weight its highly unlikely that 2700 is maintenance. I'm 1" taller/48, lightly active and I maintain at around 2000.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I plugged t]your stats into a TDEE calculator and got 1719 at sedentary and 1970 at lightly active. I'd do 2000 and see what happens. The rate of loss is surprising. Are you confident your logging, weighing and measuring are accurate?
  • Jingsi84
    edited January 2018
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    What does MFP say your maintenance calories should be? I put your stats in a TDEE calculator and it said your maintenance calories are 1520. I’m not sure how you got to add 1500 back. You’d be regaining weight eating that much.

If I'm losing 3 lbs/week eating 1200 calories, it would seem to me I'm at a 1500 deficit and for maintenance I would add that back, no?

@RunRutheeRun I did change MFP to maintenance and it made my new goal 1570 but that doesn't seem high enough given that I've been losing weight fast eating just 370 calories less than that.

@mmapags Thanks for running my stats through another calculator. They all seem to give me different info. I'll try 2000 and see what happens. I have a food scale but I do eat out a lot and trust the restaurant's nutritional info which I understand can be off... still I can't imagine being off almost twice what I eat but I suppose that is a possibility. I'm a big fidget-er so maybe I burn a lot more than I realize? Also I've been nearly the same weight for 20 years until I had to start taking meds for depression and gained 60lbs in about 18 months. I know its contrary to the law of thermodynamics but ever heard of anyone losing faster because they gained so fast through meds? Like maybe the 60lbs wasn't all fat?

Thanks for all the advice!
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with using what mfp calculates as maintenance (including eating exercise calories). I've done 2 diet breaks that way. I gained water weight that quickly left after going back to a deficit. If you feel that might be a little low, add a couple hundred calories. Even if you end up eating like 200 above maintenance every day, that's going to equal less than a pound after 10 days.

One of the advantages of a diet break is to destress mentally. I wouldn't worry too much about being slightly over or under. Getting a truly accurate idea of daily tdee takes trial and error and at least a few months of data, imo.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Something definitely seems off about your numbers. However...it's only a 10 day diet break, so even if you went a little over your maintenance, you can only do so much damage in that amount of time. If it were me, I'd probably shoot for about 2000 calories and see how you feel there.
  • Jingsi84
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like I just need to keep plugging along until I get more data to figure out my actual TDEE and in the meantime I will shoot for 2000 maintenance.
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I took a maintenance break for the holidays from Thanksgiving all the way up until New year's day. I ate around 1600-1900 calories (I usually averaged about 1750) I also did NOT workout because I wanted a break from it. I have been logging and working out since May. I gained and lost the same pound the entire time. Also I'm 5'1 150# if that helps any? Since going back to my normal routine of cutting back on food and working out I've dropped the stubborn 3# I was holding onto before the maintenance break. Use a TDEE calculator to determine what your maintenance calories are and go from there? Best of luck!!
  • Jingsi84
    Options
    NR81206 wrote: »
    I took a maintenance break for the holidays from Thanksgiving all the way up until New year's day. I ate around 1600-1900 calories (I usually averaged about 1750) I also did NOT workout because I wanted a break from it. I have been logging and working out since May. I gained and lost the same pound the entire time. Also I'm 5'1 150# if that helps any? Since going back to my normal routine of cutting back on food and working out I've dropped the stubborn 3# I was holding onto before the maintenance break. Use a TDEE calculator to determine what your maintenance calories are and go from there? Best of luck!!

Thanks @NR81206 We are almost stats twins! This makes me feel a lot better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you drastically cut your carbs? the amount of weight loss seems extreme given your stats
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    1500 maintenance.

3lbs over 7 weeks is about half lb per week. So, your only in a deficit of about 250 per day, give or take.

She's been averaging 3 lbs per week, not 3 lbs over the 7 weeks total.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Keep good data for when you resume your deficit (if you choose to do that).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    1500 maintenance.

3lbs over 7 weeks is about half lb per week. So, your only in a deficit of about 250 per day, give or take.

She's been averaging 3 lbs per week, not 3 lbs over the 7 weeks total.

Obviously if there is trust that the weight loss has really happened at that rate the diet break recommendation would be the 2500+ (2700 was it?).

Without reading back on the phone I am going with 10k because I "heard" 10 days of data, which obviously is not quite enough.

If it is 10 weeks (embarassing that I flubbed that) if would seem our op is quite an outlier or overlogging. Regardless, she then ought to go for the higher number while keeping her logging method consistent.

Curious to find out what op went with and the resukts!!!!
  • Jingsi84
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone! Apart from desperately trying to get enough protein (as a vegetarian) I don't pay much attention to macros. I mostly eat carbs though, so I'm definitely not low carb. I have been logging for 7 weeks and have been very careful about weighing everything when I don't eat out. I upped my status to "lightly active" to account for a higher than expected weight loss.

I chickened out and rather than setting my goal at 2000 cal/day I followed what MFP now recommends (at "lightly active") which is 1750. That said, for the past 5 days I have stayed stable (144.4, 143.4, 144.8, 144.4, 144.6) even though I haven't been weighing anything b/c I've been eating out and also stuffing my face. So it is likely I am actually eating closer to 2000+ cal/day. I've read that many gain around 3 pounds when on a diet break (b/c water and belly food) so I'm considering adding more calories to work up to a slight gain. @PAV888 I like the suggestion of going longer than 10 days to get a better handle on my TDEE and maybe it'll do more to reverse adaptive thermogenesis. Anyway, yay diet breaks and science! And yay everyone for your advice!
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Without reading back on the phone I am going with 10k 2K because I "heard" 10 days of data, which obviously is not quite enough.

If it is 10 7 weeks (embarassing embarrassing that I flubbed that) if it would seem [that] our op is quite an outlier or overlogging. Regardless, she then ought to go for the higher number while keeping her logging method consistent.

Curious to find out what op went with and the resukts results!!!!

Sigh. Not a good phone day so far today! Some small fixes!

• PAV8888
    Options
    So... yes, everything Ann said is true.

I still think 7 weeks might be a bit short, as it would only cover one monthly cycle not 2, and i would think that any associated water retention plus eating out water retention could potentially complicate weight measurement.

There is zero reason to not be starting at at least 2000 calories and every reason to be pushing for more than that until you see a steady weight trend level increase for more than a week! @heybales might have some input on how to best determine top maintenance calories?

I am sure happy scale, Libra and weightgrapher would all allow you to input older weigh ins to establish your weight trendline starting with older data.

And since fitbit.com also lets you enter arbitrary past weigh-in days and you can force Trendweight.com to re-download your complete scale weight history from Fitbit, yes I would go back and observe my trending weight changes and if confident in my loging base my decisions off of that.