No food is junk, it's just food.

That Is true. Thank you
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hey! Well I'm no expert but I took a peek at your diary. Have you calculated what your suggested macros should be? In my opinion, it looks like you might be a little heavy on the carbs and light on the protein. The other thing is, are you sure you're putting in every little thing you eat? Like every nibble at dinner time while you're cooking, treats when you visit a business and hit the dish, etc? Surprisingly those things can add up really quickly. The other thing is, you can't depend on the scale. Like if your weight starts ballooning, ok, then the scale will tell you. But if you're starting a training regimen, you may be building muscle so your loss may not reflect on the scale. And the only true measure of body fat would be to visit a doctor. Home devices can get you in the ballpark, but they're not completely accurate.

Great job on the half marathon training! I'm a runner myself :) #runnersunite

Car macros are at 22% for the 4 weeks. All recipes are using the builder. I don't cook so I don't nibble. And the body fat was done in the bod pod so I trust that it is accurate.

Your carbs are not set at 22%.
    no, the setting is at 50% I keep mine at about 25% as per the nutrition pie chart

It doesn't look like you are completing your Food page? Or are you purposely leaving 500-700 calories uneaten every day? You need to be eating those calories "earned" by your exercise. That is the way this site is designed to be used.
    No, I don't eat back my exercise calories. I have heard that the fitbit is very inaccurate and way over estimates what you burn. I'm not sure I could eat 600 more calories a day without eating junk food.

Here: read these (the second one is a short video)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

Fine. You asked what was wrong. We're telling you.

You're free to do whatever you want, have at it.

(edit, I bolded your answers since you messed up the quotes)

Thank you. I didn't realize the quote thing was messed up/

I'm just confused as to how I'm eating too many carbs when my carb macro on MFP is 22%, and how I'm supposed to know if an entry is wrong.

You can figure out if an entry is correct by comparing it to reliable sources of information (for example, the USDA database). You'll also have to put a minimal effort into determining *how* much you're eating because that's an important part of reliable logging. Logging 150 grams of avocado every day when you're eating 150 some days and 180 other days is still going to result in potential problems even if you're using an correct entry for avocado.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well, for instance that avocado someone mentioned. Look it up on the USDA database to get the correct calories. A 75g avocado is about 105 calories. The other mistakes you are making could be adding 300-500 calories.

Then you aren't eating back exercise calories. I guess you could assume this is a wash - OR you could start making more accurate choices.

Here's a thread on the USDA food choices and how to use MFP with it:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging/p1

Read the threads we are linking for you.

One of those threads I linked in my last post talks about macros, too. If you want to eat 22% carbs, why wouldn't you have your food diary set that way?

The last few pounds of weight loss really requires accuracy in every detail, or you'll start under-eating (like you're doing) and then you'll develop health problems.
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help. I didn't think weighing--or not weighing--vegetables would make a difference. I do have 2 first degree relatives with eating disorder histories so I'm being mindful of that with regard to weighing everything I consume.
    Have a good weekend everyone
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I’ll just say that I had similar stats as you and it took me a long time to drop 20 pounds—more than a year. I noticed that I would drop 5 pounds every few months but weekly losses weren’t noticeable. I would keep at it! I ate about 1500 calories for the entire year, didn’t weigh my food at all so I was probably eating more at times. I had a similar running schedule as you too.
  • k8andchr1smom
    Options
    Your 1/2 an avocado weighs the same day in and day out, that just doesn't happen and the calorie content is too low.

Tighten up your logging and you'll start to lose weight.

You don't cook yet you use the recipe builder? That doesn't make sense.

My husband cooks. And he's OCD about weighing every thing
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    1. While you may have been trying for four weeks it looks like you've only been tracking for about two, give yourself time to see results. Be patient.

2. You have a lot of restaurant entries, and while there's nothing wrong with that I kind of try to limit that food for no other reason than I don't know exactly how they prepared their dishes because I wasn't in that kitchen. So while I'm hoping this slice of pizza has x amount of calories, I have to realize that it has a margin of error that may or may not put my calories off.
  • k8andchr1smom
    Options
    Well, for instance that avocado someone mentioned. Look it up on the USDA database to get the correct calories. A 75g avocado is about 105 calories. The other mistakes you are making could be adding 300-500 calories.

Then you aren't eating back exercise calories. I guess you could assume this is a wash - OR you could start making more accurate choices.

Here's a thread on the USDA food choices and how to use MFP with it:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging/p1

Read the threads we are linking for you.

One of those threads I linked in my last post talks about macros, too. If you want to eat 22% carbs, whey wouldn't you have your food diary set that way?

I don't know how to change it!!! but I'll look into it. Thank you
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    1. Are you measuring your solids with a food scale?
    2. How are you finding entries like "creamy sweet potato bacon chowder"? Did you use the recipe builder to create that recipe?
    3. Some days look to be incomplete. Is that the case?

I use the builder for recipes. I use a scale for fat, protein and the occasional chips, cups for salads and fruit. The last incomplete day, aside from today is NYE and last Friday. Not sure what happened that day.

cups are inaccurate for solid and semi solids. so weigh your salad and fruit too. if its packaged salad use the grams on the package as the serving size. if you are making the salad yourself. weigh everything separately and log it or use the recipe builder as well.weigh all solids and semi solids. measure all liquids in cups and spoons.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet ... make sure you really measure, weight n count your food. If something says 3 ounces is a serving ... make sure to weight it so you're really only getting 3 ounces, same if it says a 1/4 of cup, make sure you measure just that... if something says 5 pieces, count out 5. I wasn't doing that when i started ... it really makes a difference.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

I'd also add that some of your entries are probably not totally accurate. 75 grams of avocado is not 85 calories.
    That is possible but how do I know which entries are accurate?

Get yourself a food scale, weigh all solids, including veg and fruit, measure all liquids.
    Again, I have one. I didn't think I ate enough vegetables to make a huge difference.

Thank you

It takes time to find entries that are actually valid. I refer to the USDA website often to verify against the MFP entries. Entries verified with a green check are more often correct.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    hello.......I took a peek and maybe you should cut out the chips @ lunchtime and the potatoes. It might be too much starch and carbs for your body. try it ;)

She's eating 22% carbs. Carbs don't prevent weight loss anyway (calories are what matter), but her diet is already low-ish carb.

OP, the points about weighing and checking entries are good ones, and could explain inaccuracies, and changing your macros to reflect how you actually wish to eat is also a good idea. If you go to HOME and then GOALS you can set the percentages as you want (in 5% increments).

The good thing is that although it's a pain to find or check the entries the first time, once the right ones are used they will be in your recent and (soon) frequent foods.

If you don't want to eat back exercise because you are cautious about the calorie counts, one approach is to go to a TDEE calculator and get a calorie goal that reflects your exercise upfront. You are doing an awful lot of exercise for the goal you seem to have in your head, and that will not be helpful in the long run. Another approach is to cut the calorie counts down some, but not ignore the exercise entirely. Better to be accurate and aim for a reasonable calorie target.

If you do that, you can log exercise as 1 calorie and then your goal and results should line up.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this? When did your weight loss "stall" begin? If your exercise regimen is new you could be retaining water weight.

Also, there is quite a bit of restaurant food/carryout in your diary--it's notoriously high in sodium and that could be causing you to retain water as well.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    alska wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet ... make sure you really measure, weight n count your food. If something says 3 ounces is a serving ... make sure to weight it so you're really only getting 3 ounces, same if it says a 1/4 of cup, make sure you measure just that... if something says 5 pieces, count out 5. I wasn't doing that when i started ... it really makes a difference.

the thing is if a serving says 5 pieces are 45g(for example) 5 pieces can be 60g. which means more calories. a 1/4 of a cup can actually end up being half of more if you use measuring cups.they arent accurate for solids and semisolids. food packaging can be off by up to 20%. same with an apple. no 2 apples of similar size in most cases will weigh the same amount. cups should only for liquids. and oz arent as accurate as grams either. there also is fl oz(liquids) and regular oz which will not be the same.