Bread in the UK

I have almost cut the bread out completely out of my diet. But if I wanted to eat some and not sabotage my diet and not feel too guilty, could anyone (in the UK) recommend a brand, it has to be wholemeal and preferably granary. I was using some granary slided bread that i had in my freezer, only to find out that it's 134 calories by slice!
TIA

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I have farmhouse white, 104 cals and delicious.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    I have farmhouse white, 104 cals and delicious.

That's more like it, thanks
  • mewtwome
    mewtwome Posts: 5 Member
    Hovis wheatgerm is spot on. The 400g loaf is 65kcal/slice
  • jc1961AA
    mewtwome wrote: »
    Hovis wheatgerm is spot on. The 400g loaf is 65kcal/slice

OK, I will check that up, thank you!
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    The small warburtons wholemeal loaves are 77kcal a slice i think, smaller sized but a slice of toast is a slice of toast!
  • jc1961AA
    firlena227 wrote: »
    The small warburtons wholemeal loaves are 77kcal a slice i think, smaller sized but a slice of toast is a slice of toast!

Ok thanks, that's a second option, trip to Tesco or Asda this weekend then
  • grenachegirl
    grenachegirl Posts: 19 Member
    I find the Tesco wholewheat pitta pockets really good, 145 calories each and quite filling too!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I’ve been eating Kingsmill 50/50 thins lately; 100 kcal per thin, excellent for making mini sandwiches,and a nice almost buttery taste.
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    I have a roll, breakfast amd lunch it's about 120-140 rather than 100x2
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Dunno about UK but in Ireland we have Brennans "be good" at 60 cals a slice and hovis "nimble" at 54 cals a slice. Aldi and Lidl are also doing their own brand of these in some stores, so you could try there?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    firlena227 wrote: »

This is the one we use. It's proper bread not that over proved danish type.
  • granite_peapod
    granite_peapod Posts: 9 Member
    I can relate to the baguette binging!!!! I buy Aldi Rustic Wholemeal. It's good for sandwiches and toast and freezes fine. Proper sized slices at 86 cals each. This week I randomly bought Hovis protein bread and it was 66 cals a slice but tiny slices (kept thinking I should have triple decked my sarnies hehe) and overall, not really much more protein or fibre than normal wholemeal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Have a look at Aldi and Lidl. They tend to have a somewhat better choice of bread than most British supermarkets. What's available depends on where you live. At my current place Lidl has the better bread for me (though honestly, most bread in Britain is kitten). Or otherwise look if you have an artisan bakery nearby. No calorie information, but nothing beats real bread! With a crust! And actual taste!
  • jc1961AA
    Thank you all for the replies, i actually shop at Aldi so I will have a better look at what they have got. Yirara, i know you can't beat real artisan crusty bread, my favourite meal is a nice fresh bread with antipasti, cold meat and cheese, some chutney and pickles!! That's where i went wrong, because i can't control myself o:)
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2018
    If you like pumpkernickel type bread, the Mestermacher organic sunflower bread can be found at Sainsbury's and freezes brilliantly in individual slices. It's quite calorie dense but the slices are also pretty big, so I cut them in half for 71 cals. I love pumpkernickel so for me it's a real treat.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    M&S Fully Seeded Bread, 304cal' per hundred grams and is 2 slices. Well worth feeling guilty for. :)
  • myfitnesspalsophie
    myfitnesspalsophie Posts: 79 Member
    If bread makes your stomach balloon you could try gluten free bread. It's a bit pricey but I use Schar Gluten Free Wholesome Seeded Loaf or schar vitality loaf. 80 calories per slice.