How useful are the massage chairs at Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    My point is that the counter-argument mentioned -- about how other gyms offer weight rooms, cardio areas, indoor tracks, etc -- doesn't seem relevant to me. Unlike massage chairs, those extra amenities are quite obviously fitness-oriented.

And I disagree that PF thinks massage chairs are indeed beneficial for fitness. Rather, they know better than that, but they offer it as a revenue stream. In fact, based on this entire discussion, the whole "relaxation zone" concept is clearly part of their marketing approach. That is, it's geared toward attracting people who won't work out very hard and won't use the equipment very often. It's the target audience that wants to believe that getting fit is an easy, relaxing activity.

Is this a "huge conspiracy"? I wouldn't go that far, but it's clearly part of their business strategy.

Am I personally going to call their corporate office and chew them out, as you said I should? No, but that doesn't mean that I won't recognize this strategy for what it is. Again, based on the comments that people have offered in this discussion.

The bolded is absolutely correct. They are a business trying to make money and they are marketing towards a specific audience. A better debate question might be "Does every piece of equipment in a gym need to be geared towards fitness?" I would say no. Their objective is simply to get people through the door so they can make money. They will certainly never have the fittest members of any gym, but again that isn't really their goal.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    And that is a very good point. I would have to agree that not every single piece of equipment in the gym must necessarily be geared toward fitness. (This is one reason why I value discussions like this. They can force people, myself included, to rethink or refine their opinions.)

I don't like the way that PF tries to sell exercise as something that's meant to be low-effort. I certainly don't like the way they recommend chillaxing in a massage chair as a workout (see the graphic that I posted previously). Having said that, I certainly don't object to the occasional gizmo that's not specifically fitness-related, as long as it's not used as a distraction or marketed as a substitute for real exercise.
  • djamec1971
    djamec1971 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Maybe, I missed someone already saying this but you get yourself in shape, the gym doesn't! You control as much as you can when it comes to your health, the gym doesn't! Don't like the model? Don't go! Pizza bothers you? Don't go! Is that thinking really that hard? No! The chairs won't give you a deep or sports or trigger point massage like a trained massage therapist (I used to be; medical board licensed)? No kidding!!! There's a relaxation zone. Who cares?!!! If it bothers you, don't go near it. Better...don't go! It's astonishing that this is even a conversation and that I now realize I can't get back the time in my life I just used writing this. If you're a gym snob, GO AWAY!!! btw - free range, antibiotic free, peacock feather oil, braised chicken is on sale at GO AWAY!!! If you control your own life and your not influenced by nits that want to tell you what's right or wrong, go work out and be fit (I'm not telling you to do so). Peace to you all!
  • Goddess111682
    Goddess111682 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When im dome with my work out, but waiting for gym partner to finish, I chill in the message chair!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    idk . . . i mean, no agenda either way about any of this personally. other than "i do the standard big-five compound lifts, and not every place has the equipment for that."

but guess i don't see how 'make sure you stretch and foam roll before/after workouts, and make sure you take your rest days" is somehow more "fitness related" than a massage chair. is a foam roller somehow more better or something because the user has to move their own body around? and yoga mats are more legit because . . . idk?

a little man just popped up through a trapdoor in my head and said 'because on a yoga mat the person has to WORK to relax, obviously!"

but surely it couldn't be that :tongue:
  • spartan_d
    Options
    but guess i don't see how 'make sure you stretch and foam roll before/after workouts, and make sure you take your rest days" is somehow more "fitness related" than a massage chair. is a foam roller somehow more better or something because the user has to move their own body around? and yoga mats are more legit because . . . idk?
    As pointed out earlier, massage chairs are darned near useless for that sort of thing. They make you feel good, but they do diddly squat otherwise. You just can't compare them to stretching and foam rolling.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    And that is a very good point. I would have to agree that not every single piece of equipment in the gym must necessarily be geared toward fitness. (This is one reason why I value discussions like this. They can force people, myself included, to rethink or refine their opinions.)

I don't like the way that PF tries to sell exercise as something that's meant to be low-effort. I certainly don't like the way they recommend chillaxing in a massage chair as a workout (see the graphic that I posted previously). Having said that, I certainly don't object to the occasional gizmo that's not specifically fitness-related, as long as it's not used as a distraction or marketed as a substitute for real exercise.

I disagree with your interpretation; I think they're selling the idea that exercise CAN be low-effort, and that low-effort exercise is better than not exercising. And I would suggest that in the graphic, the massage chair is not intended as a workout, but as a rest day - though that's not made clear from the image. I still think it's quite a reasonable interpretation, given that it's consistently on Saturday, and the third schedule says "Saturday Relax."
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There is a simple reason that they have massage chairs. It suits their business model. There doesn't need to be a fitness based reason, they are there because of a business reason.

People who are happy with PF and buy in to their whole "No lunk" (whatever that is), will view the massage chairs as an extra, they are something special and perhaps a bit posh.

They don't care about deep level tissue massages etc, they are probably happy to get to sit in a chair and have it vibrate for a bit and will perhaps feel a little better about themselves. We all know that the placebo effect is a real thing.

These people will continue to pay their memberships fees and PF will continue to exist.

When looking at something a business does or doesn't do, you need to think about the company bottom line. Is it helping to make them cash. They probably have data collected about the number people who use the chairs and who comment on them in various surveys. It will show that for a probably small initial outlay they are actually providing a benefit.

You need to be really clear in understanding that big companies that run gyms, doesn't do so because they give a monkeys about your health, they do so because gyms make a huge amount of cash. PF is just aiming for a segment of the public who aren't interested in going to other style gyms.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Personally, I would love a PF nearby. My gym is expensive, comparatively speaking, and is only open limited hours. My husband and I would love to save all that money (currently for the two of us it's about $70/month - PF would save us $50 a month!) AND have the added convenience of it being open 24 hours.

Would we partake of the massage chairs? I might, once in a while. Husband might too once in a while. Would we partake in the free pizza? Maybe, once in a while - and it would be counted into my goal for the day. My husband does not log or track his food nor does he need to. He does do weight lifting but not for competitions or intense body building anything, just for his own general fitness.

Considering how small my current gym is, I bet PF would have more options for us. It would be a win win for us.

If you want the massage chairs its the $20 a month membership.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

I disagree with your interpretation; I think they're selling the idea that exercise CAN be low-effort, and that low-effort exercise is better than not exercising. And I would suggest that in the graphic, the massage chair is not intended as a workout, but as a rest day - though that's not made clear from the image. I still think it's quite a reasonable interpretation, given that it's consistently on Saturday, and the third schedule says "Saturday Relax."

Very true, low effort exercise is better than nothing, but like anything else better results require better effort. To me, the marketing at least, doesn't give the impression PF encourages effort.

Of course someone can go in there and work their *kitten* off. It just doesn't seem to be encouraged.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Very true, low effort exercise is better than nothing, but like anything else better results require better effort. To me, the marketing at least, doesn't give the impression PF encourages effort.

Of course someone can go in there and work their *kitten* off. It just doesn't seem to be encouraged.

Well everyone has to start SOMEWHERE. For many, simply GETTING THEMSELVES INSIDE A GYM requires monumental effort - so how can you say it doesn't encourage effort? It is encouraging people to come to a safe atmosphere.

Whether it is true or not, many obese, overweight, or timid people in general see a gym as an intimidating place where they will be judged/laughed at for even trying. And I do believe there there is at least one or two people like that in EVERY gym. The ones who look with disdain at the folks doing cardio because "cardio isn't going to do anything" etc. PF is trying to dispel that belief.

Sure, some people will go and give up anyway. Some people will go and do nothing but spend 20 mins on a treadmill at 2.0 mph and 0 incline, and then go to 7-11 on their way home for a Giant Slurpee because they "earned" it and give up after a month when it doesn't work.

But some people will go - who wouldn't go to a so-called "real gym" out of fear/intimidation..and start. And keep at it. And slowly see progress, and build their confidence and get better and better.

I would totally go to a PF if there was one nearby because I like the flexible schedule and the super cheap membership fees. My gym has limited hours and high fees (and limited equipment ) .
  • wizzybeth
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Personally, I would love a PF nearby. My gym is expensive, comparatively speaking, and is only open limited hours. My husband and I would love to save all that money (currently for the two of us it's about $70/month - PF would save us $50 a month!) AND have the added convenience of it being open 24 hours.

Would we partake of the massage chairs? I might, once in a while. Husband might too once in a while. Would we partake in the free pizza? Maybe, once in a while - and it would be counted into my goal for the day. My husband does not log or track his food nor does he need to. He does do weight lifting but not for competitions or intense body building anything, just for his own general fitness.

Considering how small my current gym is, I bet PF would have more options for us. It would be a win win for us.

That's still significantly less than what I'm paying now for NO massage chairs. LOL
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

And worth every penny. The massage chairs and hydromassage beds feel like heaven. It doesn't matter to me if they aren't actually medically therapeutic. They are fabulous and the only reason why I keep the membership. Plus if you get drunk at 3 a.m., PF is open and you can sleep in them for hours if the desk attendant likes you.

I will never see you the same way again. hahahaha :D
  • spartan_d
    Options

Well everyone has to start SOMEWHERE.
    Yes. But PF's tactics and recommended fitness routines don't encourage progress. It's one thing to start somewhere. It's another thing to remain there, or close to it, without making significant progress.

Before anyone objects, you CAN make progress there. Their rules and environment don't exactly encourage it, though.
    For many, simply GETTING THEMSELVES INSIDE A GYM requires monumental effort - so how can you say it doesn't encourage effort? It is encouraging people to come to a safe atmosphere.
    It's obvious to me that when Packerjohn speaks about "effort," he doesn't mean "showing up and doing something." As he said, better results require better effort. In other words, he's talking about pushing yourself hard, not just getting of the couch and doing something. The latter can be a starting point, but it's a poor model for progression.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Ok.

Regardless of the gym, or their plan...all responsibility rests with the individual anyway. ...
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

And worth every penny. The massage chairs and hydromassage beds feel like heaven. It doesn't matter to me if they aren't actually medically therapeutic. They are fabulous and the only reason why I keep the membership. Plus if you get drunk at 3 a.m., PF is open and you can sleep in them for hours if the desk attendant likes you.

I've read in some locations, the homeless will buy the $10 membership for the overnight warmth, showers and occasional food.