I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Replies

• sdancer2017
    sdancer2017 Posts: 178 Member
    Hi! How are you doing in 2017? I see this original post was from 2014.
    What has been the biggest challenge to making fitness a lifestyle?
    I'm just starting out (24% body fat) & really struggling with eating & making consistent healthy choices. I'd like pointers to switch my mind to this is a lifestyle, rather than a short term goal.
    Congratulations on your progress & thanks in advance!
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Amazing, good work
  • Burton_Bmc
    Burton_Bmc Posts: 35 Member
    Vismal, I did read that when you started to workout, you did do a lot of cardio first, reached a level and than started to lift. YOu said that you regret this and prefer to combine, like cardio and lifting. Can you explain to me, why you do regret this.

I am doing the same, lots of cardio, to reach a certain fat percentage and weight, and after I like to build some muscle. I read, and people tell me this isn't the correct road to take, though I like to hear it from someone like you.

And I salute you with a lot of kuddo's, the way you looked and look right now.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Thank you Vismal for your response about the Jason Blaha’s issue.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    @vismal - just wanted to give kudos to you for sticking with this thread (for over 3 1/2 years, no less!) and continuing to give out good, solid information!
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Wow you look amazing
  • What are your thoughts about eating back exercise calories ?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    @vismal - just wanted to give kudos to you for sticking with this thread (for over 3 1/2 years, no less!) and continuing to give out good, solid information!

Ditto!
  • johnfranklin2018
    johnfranklin2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Why is it that you appear wider on the last pic than the middle, but weigh alkost the same? Did u increase intake of protein on the third pic?
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Ok I just want to say I am reading all of your answers right now. I can't believe you are still answering them. Thank you for sharing thank you for the knowledge, and the positivity.
    I am always on a journey, I never stop, I am on my second week on New Rules of Lifting for Women and I am starting 2nd Semester of Nursing Program next week, and I have three little ones.
    im gönna read through all the Q&A and gain some knowledge
    Awesome Thread!!!!!!!!!
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    You are my real life hero!!!

I am 232 lbs I'm 5"6.
    I have lost 79lbs. I haven't changed much of eating habits just smaller portions. Eating instead of drinking calories mainly water or zero cal drinks and walking. I would like yo go carb free but the way my blood is setup " Blame something".

Okay seriously...

I'd like to go to the gym because I don't like the fact that I'm losing my "womanly" figure if you get my drift how can I maintain fullness in my woman areas and tone. As you can imagine I still have a stomach, rolls on back and arms and legs need toning.
    In my mind I'd like to take off 60 more lbs
    What would you suggest I do for weights and reps after cardio lift or before lift.

Love you ;)

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    edited January 2018
    Why do you consider not lifting from the beginning to be your #1 mistake?

Personally, I've done things a couple different ways. I lost probably 25-30 lbs doing mostly cardio and some resistance training but nothing too heavy. After a while I was able to run for miles at a time and the lbs started to melt off easily. I felt great and had more energy, but lost a lot of muscle too. So while I was thinner I still didn't have the toned look I wanted.

A while after that I eventually gained most of the weight back and got on a kick again and decided to try a 5x5 program instead. The results were great as far as gaining strength and muscle, but I just wasn't burning as many calories as before and found it a lot harder to stay in a deficit. So I never really lost much "weight" but did put on a good amount of muscle and dropped my body fat %. I looked better but didn't really feel better and could barely run a mile.

So I guess my question is would you have just gotten rid of cardio altogether or just combine the two? And do you do cutting and bulking cycles now?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Why is it that you appear wider on the last pic than the middle, but weigh alkost the same? Did u increase intake of protein on the third pic?
    The third picture represents over a year of bulk/cut cycling. During a bulk the goal is to gain lean mass and keep fat gains to a minimum. During a cut the goal is to remove fat mass while preserving as much lean mass as possible. If you do it right, the net result after a bulk cut cycle is to end up with more lean mass and less fat mass. That is exactly what happened to me. While my weight is the same in both pictures, I am clearly leaner and more muscular in the 3rd picture. Protein intake should be kept moderate to moderate/high year round. Fat loss phases actually demand more protein then muscle gaining phases. Less protein is required to grow new lean mass than to preserve existing mass during a prolonged calorie deficit. I keep my protein high enough as it is year round so I really don't pay much attention to it.
    You are my real life hero!!!

I am 232 lbs I'm 5"6.
    I have lost 79lbs. I haven't changed much of eating habits just smaller portions. Eating instead of drinking calories mainly water or zero cal drinks and walking. I would like yo go carb free but the way my blood is setup " Blame something".

Okay seriously...

I'd like to go to the gym because I don't like the fact that I'm losing my "womanly" figure if you get my drift how can I maintain fullness in my woman areas and tone. As you can imagine I still have a stomach, rolls on back and arms and legs need toning.
    In my mind I'd like to take off 60 more lbs
    What would you suggest I do for weights and reps after cardio lift or before lift.

Love you ;)

I always recommend doing weights before cardio. There are a couple reasons. First, weight training is ultimately more important unless you have specific goals that require cardiovascular training (endurance athlete, training for a race, etc). Secondly, I firmly believe that a cardio session done first is more likely to negatively affect a lifting session then a lifting session done first is going to affect a cardio session.

Because you cannot spot reduce fat your entire body will shrink as you lose fat, including your boobs, butt, and other parts you might not want this to happen to. What's even more unfortunate is that sometimes these parts shrink first before parts like the stomach "catch up". There isn't much you can do about this. "Toning" is basically a made up phenomena. You cannot really "tone" a muscle. Muscles either get bigger or smaller. To achieve a "toned" look two conditions must be met. You must have a muscular base, and you must reduce fat enough for the muscular base to show. This is why it is critical to engage in a good weight training program. One that focuses on low weight and high reps is no good. You must utilize progressive tension overload (this means that you increase the amount weight you lift as time goes on). All the good beginner programs have this built in (greyskull LP, stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, etc). All of those programs also utilize squats and deadlifts. This should allow you preserve lean mass in some of the areas that you want to maintain for your figure. Unfortunately, if you are losing weight, you are likely shrinking as a whole, but with a comprehensive lifting program, you should at least be able to maintain muscle mass in the important areas with breasts being the exception. It's just an unfortunate fact for women that if you lose a bunch of weight, you will also lose a few bra sizes...such is life... :'(:'(
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    Why do you consider not lifting from the beginning to be your #1 mistake?

Personally, I've done things a couple different ways. I lost probably 25-30 lbs doing mostly cardio and some resistance training but nothing too heavy. After a while I was able to run for miles at a time and the lbs started to melt off easily. I felt great and had more energy, but lost a lot of muscle too. So while I was thinner I still didn't have the toned look I wanted.

A while after that I eventually gained most of the weight back and got on a kick again and decided to try a 5x5 program instead. The results were great as far as gaining strength and muscle, but I just wasn't burning as many calories as before and found it a lot harder to stay in a deficit. So I never really lost much "weight" but did put on a good amount of muscle and dropped my body fat %. I looked better but didn't really feel better and could barely run a mile.

So I guess my question is would you have just gotten rid of cardio altogether or just combine the two? And do you do cutting and bulking cycles now?
    You mostly answered the question for me. Like you I initially lost a lot of weight doing lots of cardio. Unfortunately a lot of muscle was likely lost too. If I had been lifting I could have preserved more lean mass and gained strength at the same time. I'd say only the genetically blessed will look "toned" through weight loss alone and that resistance training is absolutely necessary for everyone else. There's no reason you can't do lifting and cardio though. In fact, if you are moderately to very overweight, doing both is probably a good idea. It's when you are already lean and trying to get leaner that you have to be careful on how much and what kind of cardio you do as it can affect your strength and muscle retention. There's nothing wrong with doing a 5x5 3 days a week and doing some running, biking, etc two days a week. Also LISS cardio (walking) can basically be done on an unlimited basis without really interfering with muscle and strength. Remember, walking 3 miles burns fairly close to as many calories as running 3 miles, it just takes longer to do.
  • caterpillardreams
    Hello again.
    I commented before but I want to say thank you so very much for all of your knowledge.
    And I am so happy to find out you are a fellow nurse. SO cool.
    I am a nurse tech going to school to be an RN.

I am reading your answers and all of these posts everyday, I have a lot to go through. I did see that you helped a member calculate his calories and macros that has the similar height and weight as me but do not know if he had the same goals as me.
    I used various amounts of TDEE calculators and I hope I am doing this right.
    35 yrs old
    I am 5'8"
    180lbs
    My goals to lose weight. Everything has changed since I have had my third child. I know its possible for me to get to my goal of 160lb but it just seems to be taking so much longer than ever this time around.

BMR 1564
    TDEE 2422 or 2446
    Daily Calories-1934-1996
    So if I am correct. I should eat my daily calories.
    How about Macros.?
    I am currently doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. I do some yoga a couple times a week, but just stretching and cardio 1-2xa week.

I just need help really narrowing down a set number of daily calories and figuring out Macros.
    Again thank you so much. and I am gonna keep reading.

• caterpillardreams
    I just went through some more pages on here and I watched your video on how to calculate calories and macros. So I was able to answer the questions I had.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Bravo!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!