I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• Waffleme19
    Waffleme19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. Your weight loss journey is very inspiring. I have always been in shape and became more interested in fitness upon entering college. Somewhere down the line I aquired bad habits, and now I'm trying to get back into shape. I wanted to know if you ever took supplements to assist with your weight loss goals as well as how many "cheat days" did you have?
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Vismal, Hi. I can't tell you how many times I've come back to this thread and read all your awesome advice. Thank you so much for what you are doing, the time and effort you put into this is just astonishing.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    BrianDavidBy32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Visnal - Thanks for your time in answering all of these questions. I read all 50+ pages and have a few questions/follow-ups:

1) 5x5 set counts while CUTTING. The ICF author recommends 3x5 while cutting. So 3 sets. Strong lifts recommends 5 sets. What do you recommend and why?

2) 5x5 weight progression while CUTTING. ICF author says to progress weight every OTHER workout. Strong lifts says to increase weight every time. What do you recommend and why?

3) IF - you mentioned you did this majority of your weight loss I believe. How crucial is it to do this? For those that workout in the morning - say 7am - it makes doing a 5x5 routine on an empty stomach pretty hard with a high probability of lightheartedness.

4) creatine - I know you said it's not controversial. But other sources would beg to differ. How crucial is this in your view.

5) if I'm doing the ICF 5x5 for the first cut. What do you recommend for the bulk phase?

6) what do you think should be the goal of a bulk phase? Duration and daily surplus?

I appreciate your time in helping with these. Thanks very much!

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    slimbettie wrote: »
    Vismal, Hi. I can't tell you how many times I've come back to this thread and read all your awesome advice. Thank you so much for what you are doing, the time and effort you put into this is just astonishing.

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hi Visnal - Thanks for your time in answering all of these questions. I read all 50+ pages and have a few questions/follow-ups:

1) 5x5 set counts while CUTTING. The ICF author recommends 3x5 while cutting. So 3 sets. Strong lifts recommends 5 sets. What do you recommend and why? For a complete novice to lifting, you can 5x5 even while cutting for at least a few months. Once you are out of the complete novice phase, a 3x5 is more appropriate.

2) 5x5 weight progression while CUTTING. ICF author says to progress weight every OTHER workout. Strong lifts says to increase weight every time. What do you recommend and why? Probably every other because stalls will come much quicker when cutting

3) IF - you mentioned you did this majority of your weight loss I believe. How crucial is it to do this? For those that workout in the morning - say 7am - it makes doing a 5x5 routine on an empty stomach pretty hard with a high probability of lightheartedness. Fasting isn't necessary at all. It fits some folks lifestyles and can help some with satiation. It does not cause faster, or increased fat loss. No matter when you eat or how often you eat, calories in vs calories out determine weight loss. I preferred fasting because it fit my lifestyle very well and I prefer to have 2 big meals vs several small ones. As for training fasted, I would hardly say it creates a "high probability of lightheadedness". I have trained fasted for years and never had a problem. Again, this is a preference thing. It's not necessary but worth a try if you want to try it.

4) creatine - I know you said it's not controversial. But other sources would beg to differ. How crucial is this in your view. What sources? It's probably the most studied supplement since the advent of exercise supplementation. No study has ever proven it unsafe in any way. There simply exists no data to support that 3-5 grams daily has any negative effects. Is it crucial? No. Does it help? More so than probably any other supplement available.

5) if I'm doing the ICF 5x5 for the first cut. What do you recommend for the bulk phase? stay on the 5x5

6) what do you think should be the goal of a bulk phase? Duration and daily surplus? The surplus should be small. Maybe 10%. You want to gain about 2 lbs a month. As for length of time, that depends on how lean you are at the start, and how lean you want to maintain throughout the process.

Answers in bold
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

1) 5x5 set counts while CUTTING. The ICF author recommends 3x5 while cutting. So 3 sets. Strong lifts recommends 5 sets. What do you recommend and why? For a complete novice to lifting, you can 5x5 even while cutting for at least a few months. Once you are out of the complete novice phase, a 3x5 is more appropriate.

2) 5x5 weight progression while CUTTING. ICF author says to progress weight every OTHER workout. Strong lifts says to increase weight every time. What do you recommend and why? Probably every other because stalls will come much quicker when cutting

3) IF - you mentioned you did this majority of your weight loss I believe. How crucial is it to do this? For those that workout in the morning - say 7am - it makes doing a 5x5 routine on an empty stomach pretty hard with a high probability of lightheartedness. Fasting isn't necessary at all. It fits some folks lifestyles and can help some with satiation. It does not cause faster, or increased fat loss. No matter when you eat or how often you eat, calories in vs calories out determine weight loss. I preferred fasting because it fit my lifestyle very well and I prefer to have 2 big meals vs several small ones. As for training fasted, I would hardly say it creates a "high probability of lightheadedness". I have trained fasted for years and never had a problem. Again, this is a preference thing. It's not necessary but worth a try if you want to try it.

4) creatine - I know you said it's not controversial. But other sources would beg to differ. How crucial is this in your view. What sources? It's probably the most studied supplement since the advent of exercise supplementation. No study has ever proven it unsafe in any way. There simply exists no data to support that 3-5 grams daily has any negative effects. Is it crucial? No. Does it help? More so than probably any other supplement available.

5) if I'm doing the ICF 5x5 for the first cut. What do you recommend for the bulk phase? stay on the 5x5

6) what do you think should be the goal of a bulk phase? Duration and daily surplus? The surplus should be small. Maybe 10%. You want to gain about 2 lbs a month. As for length of time, that depends on how lean you are at the start, and how lean you want to maintain throughout the process.

Answers in bold

Much appreciated. Three quick follow-ups:

If I don't need to do IF from a work/time perspective, do you see any benefits of doing so?

Likewise, do you see any benefits to working out while fasting? Again, totally not necessary?

What do you see as the benefit of doing 3-5g of creatine a day vs. not - while on a cut?

Thanks!
  • vismal
    Options

Answers in bold

Much appreciated. Three quick follow-ups:

If I don't need to do IF from a work/time perspective, do you see any benefits of doing so? It's all about personal preference. If you prefer it, do it, if you do not, do not.

Likewise, do you see any benefits to working out while fasting? Again, totally not necessary? See previous answer. Some people, myself included, find it to be more satiating then eating throughout the day

What do you see as the benefit of doing 3-5g of creatine a day vs. not - while on a cut? Creatine allows you to lift more by increasing power output. There are literally no reasons not to take it unless you cannot afford it (it's one of the cheapest supplements available). The only known side effects are GI upset and that's at high doses. There is no need to do a "loading dose" so you should conceivably never take a high dose.

Thanks!
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    My starting waist circumference as measured around navel is 45". I'm 5' 8" tall. 200 lbs start. 31 years old. What do you believe to be a reasonable rate of inches off the waist, per month?
  • vismal
    Options
    My starting waist circumference as measured around navel is 45". I'm 5' 8" tall. 200 lbs start. 31 years old. What do you believe to be a reasonable rate of inches off the waist, per month?
    I don't feel like tracking inches per month is the best way to assess progress. I have no idea what an acceptable rate of inches of abdominal girth lost per month even is. I typically track scale weight and use progress photos to assess progress. When you have a fair bit of weight to lose, the scale is pretty honest. If you are losing fat, you should in turn be losing weight. Measurements move much slower and can be affected by how consistent the person measuring you is. Fluid balance can also affect measurements.

• BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Thanks -

What do you think of this?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/post_workout_carbs.htm

Does none of this matter in your view?
  • vismal
    Options
    Thanks -

It matters very, very little. I'll quote Alan Aragon here: "The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing."

Totals for the day/week is all you need for basic weight loss, muscle gain, and the like. Nutrient timing matters more to endurance athletes or those who play sports, but even then, totals for the day are the number 1 factor that drives results.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Thanks -

It matters very, very little. I'll quote Alan Aragon here: "The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing."

Totals for the day/week is all you need for basic weight loss, muscle gain, and the like. Nutrient timing matters more to endurance athletes or those who play sports, but even then, totals for the day are the number 1 factor that drives results.

Thanks

If I go over my calorie budget for the day, should I am compensate by eating less the next day so that I'm in line with my weekly goal?

Also, when you're still hungry and hit your goal for the day, what tactics did you do so that tiy wouldn't eat more.

You said that once you hit your goal, you simply would t eat more. How can we help ourselves to have that kind of discipline?
  • Boston_St_John
    Boston_St_John Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So what was the biggest thing you changed that seems to help you?
  • vismal
    Options
    Thanks -

Thanks

If I go over my calorie budget for the day, should I am compensate by eating less the next day so that I'm in line with my weekly goal?

Also, when you're still hungry and hit your goal for the day, what tactics did you do so that tiy wouldn't eat more.

You said that once you hit your goal, you simply would t eat more. How can we help ourselves to have that kind of discipline?
    Going over on a day can be made up for in the next few days. The issue is doing this too often can lead to inconsistency. 95% of the time I hit my calorie total. If I know there is a high likelihood of going over calories on a particular day (party, family event, etc) I prefer create the extra deficit BEFORE that day rather than afterwards. If I am getting low on calories and still hungry I eat things that provide the most bang for their caloric buck. Lean meats and vegetables are a good choice as they can provide a fair amount of satiation for relatively low calories. As to not eating once you are out of calories, don't make it a choice. You just simply don't for no other reason then you can't. We are all capable of that level of discipline. If someone told you "I'll give you a million bucks if you stop eating for the rest of the day", you'd do it without thinking twice. Substitute the million bucks reward for the reward of becoming healthier and reaching your goals.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal,
    I am very impressed with your change, but even more impressed with your consistent and long running willingness to help people in this thread.

I just wanted to say thanks and I appreciate the help you have given others which in turn have also helped me.
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Thanks -

Thanks

Going over on a day can be made up for in the next few days. The issue is doing this too often can lead to inconsistency. 95% of the time I hit my calorie total. If I know there is a high likelihood of going over calories on a particular day (party, family event, etc) I prefer create the extra deficit BEFORE that day rather than afterwards. If I am getting low on calories and still hungry I eat things that provide the most bang for their caloric buck. Lean meats and vegetables are a good choice as they can provide a fair amount of satiation for relatively low calories. As to not eating once you are out of calories, don't make it a choice. You just simply don't for no other reason then you can't. We are all capable of that level of discipline. If someone told you "I'll give you a million bucks if you stop eating for the rest of the day", you'd do it without thinking twice. Substitute the million bucks reward for the reward of becoming healthier and reaching your goals.

Very helpful. When you were hungry and filled up with veggies and/or lean proteins: what were your go-to'snin rank order of consumed most often (most popular

Also - I've had a history of doing well for 90days+ Then one single event like getting room service or eating a lot of pizza can derail me. While it's easy to say to get back on track, and rational things like that. It hasn't stopped me in the past for completely derailing me and going on like a 1-2 week binge after I screwed up. What advice do you have for that situation
  • vismal
    Options
    Thanks -

Thanks

Very helpful. When you were hungry and filled up with veggies and/or lean proteins: what were your go-to'snin rank order of consumed most often (most popular

Also - I've had a history of doing well for 90days+ Then one single event like getting room service or eating a lot of pizza can derail me. While it's easy to say to get back on track, and rational things like that. It hasn't stopped me in the past for completely derailing me and going on like a 1-2 week binge after I screwed up. What advice do you have for that situation
  • ryanrieb
    ryanrieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As a guy that is pretty much where you started right now (6'3'' 330lbs), what advice can you give me in terms of getting started with diet and excercise? I have not been very regular at the gym ( I have a 2 year old son at home, and my wife also works). I have mainly been trying to cut down on added sugars, and cut soda out. I've been tracking food on here as well...

What are your tips as far as dieting and excercise?

Thanks, and keep up the good work, your transformation is very inspiring!
  • irene1977
    irene1977 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How did you do it?
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Thanks

What are re-feeds? Never saw that in this thread? Necessary for cutting?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!