I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Replies

• masant00316
    masant00316 Posts: 1 Member
    Great job,Man! Thanks for sharing your success story.Very impressive and inspiring.Stay strong,peace.
  • KARJNKK18
    KARJNKK18 Posts: 44 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

CONGRAGULATIONS!! What are your best tips to staying constant in what I want to achieve? 25-30kgs to lose. Thank You
  • omalichand1
    omalichand1 Posts: 1 Member
    You look amazing! Did you follow the macros set by MFP or you adjusted the macros yourself?
  • PeteTheGamer2018
    PeteTheGamer2018 Posts: 16 Member
    Love it. Just sent you an FR
  • Sajafitness
    Sajafitness Posts: 3 Member
    Nice job my question is what kind of diet you followed? And what is your start workout before lifting weights?
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    OK started at 260 at 201 I have maybe a 4 pack lol or less. Best way to help get 6 pack
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    How long did it take you to ride yourself of the "fat person" mental image? (Or do you still question your size). I've been maintaining a size 8 for nearly a year, I was morbidly obese, and sometimes I still question chair size (the arms), pants size (no way I can fit these tiny things, but I do). I'm now back on losing for my surgery scheduled for Aug. 2.
  • jayashreeb1799
    jayashreeb1799 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm fighting a losing battle with binge eating for years now. The cycle is always the same, I workout and diet, one day I break down and eat like monster and there goes my motivation. Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

Really impressive transformation though. I really admire your will power and consistency!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Sorry it took so long for replies. I used to get notified on my phone when someone posted here and apparently that stopped happening! I'll have to check manually more frequently!
    KARJNKK18 wrote: »

CONGRAGULATIONS!! What are your best tips to staying constant in what I want to achieve? 25-30kgs to lose. Thank You
    Logging food! That's the single best way to be consistent. Create your goals and log every single day. Even if you miss your goals it's important to still log, especially at first. I've been doing it for so many years now I don't log on days I know I won't come close to my goals but if you're new, I'd log those days too!.
    You look amazing! Did you follow the macros set by MFP or you adjusted the macros yourself?
    I make my own. MFP has a different approach. MFP assumes you are going to exercise and will give you more calories based on if you log your exercise. I build exercise into my goals so I don't log it. Also, the MFP goals are based on the RDA set by the government which in my opinion sets protein too low. If you want to follow my method I explain it in this video:

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Nice job my question is what kind of diet you followed? And what is your start workout before lifting weights?
    I didn't follow a set diet. I simply counted calories and macronutrients. Before I started lifting I did cardio only which was a mistake. I should have started lifting from the very beginning.
    Ralphone wrote: »
    OK started at 260 at 201 I have maybe a 4 pack lol or less. Best way to help get 6 pack
    Keep losing fat. You can do ab workouts ad nauseam and it won't help if there is still too much fat present in the abdominal area. Also, some men are just genetically predisposed to carry fat on their abdomen worse than others. For some people a 6 pack isn't functionally realistic. What I mean by that is, that it's achievable but not without getting so lean that it isn't practical or healthy. Don't immediately assume that's why you can't though, that vast majority of people just need to lose more fat.
    VUA21 wrote: »
    How long did it take you to ride yourself of the "fat person" mental image? (Or do you still question your size). I've been maintaining a size 8 for nearly a year, I was morbidly obese, and sometimes I still question chair size (the arms), pants size (no way I can fit these tiny things, but I do). I'm now back on losing for my surgery scheduled for Aug. 2.
    I never really had that problem. The opposite occurred for me. I have trouble identifying/remembering what it was like to be obese. I remember my eating behaviors and habits but when I look at old pictures I feel like I'm looking at a different person.

• navya2674
    navya2674 Posts: 1 Member
    Did you ever feel like giving up? If so,what did you do to motivate yourself?
  • rich41n
    rich41n Posts: 25 Member
    Your story is very inspirational! Thanks for sharing and helping others. So I started about where you did. February 2017 at ~305 lbs. I'm down to 270 lbs 18 months later. Should be more but I fell off the wagon a few times! Nov 2017 I started working out at a personal training gym 2x per week. I've been doing it for about 8 months pretty consistently. My sessions are 1 hr full body strength training workouts and different every time focusing on major muscle groups: quads, hamstrings, bi's/tri's, chest, abs, obliques, and upper/lower back. This is accomplished through machines, free weights, and body weight exercises. I've continually gained strength and probably built a little muscle (due to calorie surplus when i wasn't tracking very well i'm sure). I've also done cardio on off days.

My question is whether you would recommended I start to transition to a heavy lifting program at this point such as the Ice Cream 5x5? I still have alot of fat to lose for sure but with strictly eating at a deficit will I be able to do a 5x5 program like that?
  • adomingo426
    adomingo426 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi everyone, I have a question about my calories in and calories out. Here’s a little back story before I begin I’ve been yo-yo dieting for a few years now I get on kicks where I wanna lose weight then I crash. In middle school I had an eating disorder and basically stopped eating I’ve come out of that and am fine now. Now I am 21 5 feet tall and 138 pounds I am putting on weight like crazy and I’ve never been really
    Consistent with my diets and that’s probably because I eat around 500 calories a day and then crash. But when I try to eat more the scale ends up going up and through research this has lead me to believe I broke or damage my
    Metabolism having me need less than 1000 calories to lose weight. If anyone has any insight on this please let me know thank you !
  • TheFutureMrsLewis
    TheFutureMrsLewis Posts: 64 Member
    Awesome job you look GREAT!
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    How many years does it take to build abs? Im fairly thin at this point and have started using an ab wheel i bought recently. I can feel my hard muscles under my last remaining belly fat but i want to know how long it should take. Im expecting 2 years even if i become super lean. j38ke15uwzzl.jpg
  • bsmock88
    bsmock88 Posts: 22 Member
    Great job man! I’m literally in the same boat you were originally, and just now starting my REAL journey, since I’ve fallen off so many times. Turned 30 last month and it’s time to get serious. Amazing transformation and I am planning to begin lifting like you mentioned you wish you would have began sooner.
  • sdancer2017
    sdancer2017 Posts: 178 Member
    Hi! I was happy to see you were still answering our many questions in your thread. Thank you for your video you posted in June. Very honest & in terms I can understand.

When you think about what is realistic/long term (mainly related to measurements). Are there any ways you feel are reliable for measuring body fat? Between my home scale, the hand held one at my former gym & a hand held attached to the scale at my current gym I'm getting a little anxious about that number. I'd love to have accurate measurements, but I'm just not sure how.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    You keep mentioning about lifting early. So is it bs that you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time? Besides noob gains at the beginning.
    From someone who is morbidly obese all I hear is lose weight first then work on muscles. It's kinda disheartening
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Hi everyone, I have a question about my calories in and calories out. Here’s a little back story before I begin I’ve been yo-yo dieting for a few years now I get on kicks where I wanna lose weight then I crash. In middle school I had an eating disorder and basically stopped eating I’ve come out of that and am fine now. Now I am 21 5 feet tall and 138 pounds I am putting on weight like crazy and I’ve never been really
    Consistent with my diets and that’s probably because I eat around 500 calories a day and then crash. But when I try to eat more the scale ends up going up and through research this has lead me to believe I broke or damage my
    Metabolism having me need less than 1000 calories to lose weight. If anyone has any insight on this please let me know thank you !

I think an appointment with a registered dietitian might help you. They can discuss your nutrition and eating habits and give you suggestions on how you can get into a more stable pattern. You've gotten over your eating disorder but it sounds like your eating is disordered (undereating, yo-yo dieting), and you need to get into a pattern of consistent healthy eating. I don't know if it's possible to break one's metabolism, I would talk to the dietitian, and also maybe see your doctor for a check up and to maybe find some support to establish a healthier long-term nuteition routine so you're not undereating and then crashing. Scales can be your enemy as well as your friend. If you're becoming preoccupied about what the scales say, maybe it's time to think about using them a bit less.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!