Can't live without my white rice!

Options
shiragatama
shiragatama Posts: 33 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Here's the deal; I'm half Japanese, and grew up on Japanese food. That means, short-grain, sticky white rice as part of my dinner most days a week. I've heard so many bad things about white rice, but I find it incredibly hard to cut out of my diet.
I want to switch to brown rice soon, but brown rice is a little expensive, and we already have a large bag of white rice at home that I don't want to waste!
I never go over my 1200 cal limit; can I still continue to eat white rice as long as I stay under my caloric intake?

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Yes, there’s nothing wrong with white rice
  • shiragatama
    Options
    Thank you! Is there a certain amount I should try to keep to? Would a cup a day be too much?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has more fiber and vitamins than white rice, so there is some benefit if you don't mind the texture and extra cooking time. Eating white rice is fine for your health and weight loss though, so no need to give it up completely. It is always easier to stick with a diet when you can eat the foods you love and can afford, so go ahead and finish that bag.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Is there a certain amount I should try to keep to? Would a cup a day be too much?

Get a food scale and weight the rice by grams if possible. Cups vary in size and the packaging is never correct when using generic serving sizes like cups.

Ultimately it comes down to how much of your calories for a given meal do you want to spend on the rice. It might depend on the meal that you are having it with. With veggies you might have room for more rice, With meats you might have to have a bit less.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I would personally find a cup of rice (assuming cooked?) too much to "spend" calories on when eating such low calories. I would personally find it difficult to fit in sufficient vegetables/fruit

Make sure you're weighing your rice (preferably dry, before cooking) for more accurate logging.

Also, 1200 calories could be too low for you. What are your stats?
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    How much can you fit into your daily calories and still eat enough other foods to feel full and satisfied?
  • shiragatama
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Also, 1200 calories could be too low for you. What are your stats?

I am an 18 year old female, fluctuating around 107 pounds, and I am 5'2". I have a very small frame though!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have a 20lb bag of sushi rice in my kitchen. I know those feels. Trust me, just make sure you weigh it to properly portion it into your daily allowance, and you are good.
  • shiragatama
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm glad to say that my diet is not that of a typical American ;-) Just thinking about drinking soda makes me shudder.
    I could definitely do better with eating more green veggies/less red meat, but I'm getting there! I've been eating a lot of fish, and basically no processed foods. I cook everything myself!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits within your calorie limit you can eat as much rice as you’d like and not gain anything.
  • shiragatama
    Options
    Also, I noticed the variability in the MFP calories when adding rice to my diary. One said 242 calories per cup, and another said 176 or something like that. What amount of calories seems the most accurate for short grain sticky white rice?
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Also, I noticed the variability in the MFP calories when adding rice to my diary. One said 242 calories per cup, and another said 176 or something like that. What amount of calories seems the most accurate for short grain sticky white rice?

Does it have a barcode or a way to search up how many calories it is?
  • shiragatama
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It is 155 calories uncooked for 1/4 cups, (620 cal for uncooked one cup) but I don't know how that translates into cooked rice. It's easier for me to just measure cooked, since our family just makes a lot of rice in the rice cooker for everybody, which is why I've been trying to use the MFP options in logging.

If anyone knows the ratio of cooked to uncooked rice, that would be so helpful!