One Year with Jillian - Commitment Thread

Options
"If you want to be better than you've ever been, you must do something that you've never done"

Like a lot of people, I'm on what feels like my millionth fresh start on MFP. I've had a lot of successes, failures, plateaus, and frustrations, and I know that I need to do things differently if I want to make this time my last "this time".

I know some people have mixed feelings about Jillian Michaels or her methods, and I have no desire to continue that debate here. Speaking personally, her programs have resonated with me, motivated me, and given me some of my best results compared to countless other avenues I've tried. I am starting this thread to commit to a year of her programs, and I invite anyone, whether you are doing a Jillian program or just want a place to commit to your daily workout goals, to join me.

I am currently on Day 8 of 30-Day Shred, and after completing that I am planning to start The Gauntlet, the year long program on her app. I am committing to post in this thread every day, stay on track with my workout schedule and nutrition, and hopefully crush my goals as the year progresses. Good luck to anyone who wants to join in, and let's make 2018 our last fresh start!

Current Program:

30 Day Shred

Progress:
Day 8 - completed

Replies

• STWTMedYMSummerGoals
    Options
    I'm also a Jillian fan! I had a baby 2 months ago, so I'm planning to start her post-partum DVD before going back to 30 day Shred. How often do you work out? Which workouts do you do? What eating plan do you follow?
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I’m wrapping up the 30 Day Shred on Friday, then moving on to either Ripped or Beginner Shred with higher weights.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You might check Dollar Tree.......I spied a large group of Jillian DVDs there (again) last night.

Ripped in 30 - Hard Body - Hard Body Healthy Mommy - Killer Arms & Back -
    Killer Body - Killer Cardio - 10 Minute Body Transformation 1 & 2 - Beginner Shred
    VitosWorld wrote: »
    Why do people not like Jillian? She is badass!

I don't like her because she comes off as phony to me. Could be the money grubbing diet supplements that were pulled off the market (dangerous) or marketing a DVD before she knew what she was doing (hint - kettlebell has a learning curve....but she beat Bob Harper to the punch). Derogatory comments on DVDs don't encourage me to exercise either. Let's just say I don't like the personality she plays on TV. Cathe and Kelly Coffey Meyer are more to my liking. But whatever floats your boat..........
  • cherrybomb333
    cherrybomb333 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Current Program:
    30 Day Shred

Progress:

Day 9 - completed
  • cherrybomb333
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @STWTMedYMSummerGoals - I'm basically planning to work through 30 day Shred and move on to The Gauntlet. The whole Gauntlet program hasn't been released yet, but from the description on her app it is a full year of programming that includes Yoga, Kettlebells, Jump training, and a few others. I'll pull up the description and post it in this thread. I know the first 90 days of it are her Transform 90 program, and from what I've seen of that it looks really good!

Eating-wise, I've been sticking to counting macros and batch meal prepping. It took a while to figure out what works for me, but I have a decent handle on it at the moment, so I'm hoping for the best! Good luck with the post-partum program, and definitely share your thoughts on it!

@VitosWorld Agreed! I know motivation comes in different forms for different people, but I really like her straightforward approach. Not sure if you've checked out her podcast but I've really enjoyed it!

@myfitpal13 Awesome!! Congrats on your progress with Shred! I've heard great things about Ripped.

@TeaBea Thank you for the tip!
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    For anyone who would like more info on The Gauntlet program, here's the description from the app:

"The Gauntlet program is a year long, 3 tier pure fitness challenge, accommodating athletes of all levels featuring sequential monthly challenges to keep you energized, motivated, and focused all year round.

Participants will train and become proficient in multiple disciplines of fitness: Running, Calisthenics, Yoga, Kickboxing, Lifting, HIIT training, Jump training and much more."

The program starts out with Transform 90, basically the 3-month version of 30 day shred on her app. It's 6 days a week, alternating 3 total body strength training days, 2 cardio days, and one rest day per week. It's circuit-based, and uses a lot of compound strength training moves in addition to some of the cardio moves from Shred. Once I get more into that program I'll try to post a more detailed review/description, but I'm excited to start it!
  • Melolson14
    Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done Ripped in 30
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    Current Program:
    30 Day Shred

Progress
    Day 10 - completed
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just wrapped up 30DS. On to Beginner Shred with higher weight. :)
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    @BadAssAries Congrats on your success! That's an awesome loss. And I know what you mean about the programs. I work a weird schedule and I have days where I legitimately can't fit it in without sacrificing sleep or cutting corners somewhere else, but I just focus on pushing through. I'd rather take longer to finish the program than feel like I have to quit because I'm "failing" if I don't do it perfectly.

@myfitpal13 Nice job!! And way to stick to your plan for progressing. Bumping up the weights is always a great feeling!

Current Program:
    30 Day Shred

Progress
    Day 11 - completed
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    Current Program:
    30 Day Shred

Progress:

Day 12 - completed
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    Current Program:
    30 Day Shred

Progress:
    Day 13 - completed
    Day 14 - completed
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    VitosWorld wrote: »
    Why do people not like Jillian? She is badass!

Loud, obnoxious and "in-your-face". It's not what I'm looking for in an instructors. She doesn't inspire or motivate me, but she works for others. As someone posted upthread, there are quite a few better instructors than Jillian out there.

• nicholethompson24
    nicholethompson24 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi all, love Jillian, own almost all of her dvds! Currently going through round 2 of Body Revolution , workouts 9 and 10. I've really noticed an increase in strength and decrease in inches while using her dvds.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    And that has been my rotation so far. Today is Day 18 and I will update later.

I was wrong this morning. Today is Day 19. Yesterday was Day 18.

Current Program
    Mixed. Not following any DVD program, because I like variety.

Progress
    Day 18: 10 Minute Body Transformation - Kickbox Blast + Cardio Burn
    Day 19: Extreme Shed & Shred - Level 1
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I like 30 day shred.

To those who find Jillian brash, I enjoy the Fitness Blender videos. Husband and wife team who are gentler in approach, but still difficult workouts!