are fitness trackers all they're hyped up to be?

just curious...are they worth it? or is it just a fad? I don't want to spend the money for something that will land up in the junk drawer. any thoughts??

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I guess that depends what kind of hype you've been hearing about them?
  • FatNFlabtoFit
    FatNFlabtoFit Posts: 4 Member
    Good question.. I’m interested too. I’d like to get some for the adults in my family. Some are older & technology challenged.. any advice on what to get that works well, but not as expensive as a Fitbit. We have iPhones.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    I love mine. I use it mostly for motivation. It’s a great way to keep an eye on my overall fitness, daily activity levels, and approximate calorie expenditure. But ultimately I understand that it’s an imperfect tool and not the only one I use.

I’ve been using one for almost a year, and it’s really helped me stay focused on my goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    just curious...are they worth it? or is it just a fad? I don't want to spend the money for something that will land up in the junk drawer. any thoughts??

What kind of hype?

I guess it would depend on the user and if the user was getting meaningful data or not. Personally, something like a Fitbit would do nothing for me...it's not going to give me any kind of meaningful data, and basically it's a fancy pedometer and none of my exercise is step based.

Conversely, I get a lot of meaningful data from my bike computer.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    My company has a pretty robust wellness program and we get incentives for hitting step goals. So I have a Fitbit for that purpose. I probably move a little bit more with the Fitbit, but not any meaningful amount. Some of my coworkers are very motivated by it and are always trying to achieve a certain step goal. It has been a great tool for them to get more active by walking more. So it really just depends on the individual.
  • neicy65
    neicy65 Posts: 1 Member
    I have lost 19 pounds using the Garmin Fenix 5 along with their scale (got the scale for Christmas) and Fitness Pal. For me, it is a big heck yea! I am a visal person, so I love all the data and how it all works together.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Next month will mark my 4 year anniversary with Fitbit, and it's definitely helped me accomplish my goals! I love having all of the stats at my fingertips, from weight/sleep/resting heart rate/steps taken/etc. And it syncs to MFP so I don't have to do anything beyond wear it while I go about my life.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Some people love theirs. They love numbers, they love gadgets, whatever. Some people join challenge groups to help them "up" their daily steps. It kind of depends upon what your expectations are.
  • FatNFlabtoFit
    FatNFlabtoFit Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all.. we also have a step goal to get some people more active & something that syncs with the phone will give more motivation than me telling everyone to get up and move their butts.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I have a FitBit blaze. I really like it. I am motivated by counting steps. I work a desk job so I like that it will buzz to remind me to get up and move. I find it useful for tracking my sleep and heart rate as well! Realistically, I feel like my fitness plan and achievements would have been the same without the FitBit (got fat while owning it too hehe), but it's a fun tool to have!