Replacing protein bars

Options
Hi, I'm looking over my day-to-day diet and while I'm keeping around 1,300 calories on the week days I'm also seeing a lot of sugar intake from the protein bars I eat. These are basically in between breakfast and after lunch to keep the hunger off, but even though my calories are OK on MFP I have like 1 gram of sugar left for the day and I think if I can cut out more sugar it will help with weight loss. Anyone have any high protein snacks I can eat very quickly at work? Thanks.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    Are you eating more on weekends to make up for eating so low during the week, the minimum you should be aiming for as a guy is 1500 calories.

There are lots of alternatives to protein bars:
    • Cottage Cheese
    • Natural Yoghurt
    • Eggs
    • Nuts
    • Chia Seeds

However, sugar in itself doesn't cause weight gain, eating too much of anything does, so if you're eating in a deficit you won't lose more if you're eating the same calorie intake with or without sugar.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs. or quest bars, which are low carb/keto with 5 net carbs total and use sugar alcohol rather than sugar.

But sugar doesn't really matter in general unless you have blood sugar issues. If you like the protein bars, don't find yourself having blood sugar control issues, then proceed with the bars!

Personally I find that they don't keep me full just add a ton of calories without much appetite suppressant, which is just annoying.
  • honkinballs
    honkinballs Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs. or quest bars, which are low carb/keto with 5 net carbs total and use sugar alcohol rather than sugar.

But sugar doesn't really matter in general unless you have blood sugar issues. If you like the protein bars, don't find yourself having blood sugar control issues, then proceed with the bars!

Personally I find that they don't keep me full just add a ton of calories without much appetite suppressant, which is just annoying.

Any opinion on the Kirkland bars from Costco? People have said they are on par with Quest bars but I don't know.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can always search the Hello Healthy stuff on your mfp home page to find suggestions.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    heøp

Aww yeah the elusive Scandinavian character typo

Anyway OP, a lot of protein bars use sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners to keep sugar content down so you could switch to one of those. Alternatively, yeah an egg will have 6g protein and about 70 calories on average so 2 eggs is pretty close to 1 protein bar. Also also, eat more.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating only 1,300? The bare minimum for women is 1,200 and men is 1,500. You will lose weight on 1,500. Heck, you will probably lose weight on 2,000.
  • honkinballs
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Side note - why, as a male, are you eating so few calories? That is a good way to lose muscle and slow down your metabolism.

Just on a big cut I guess. My SW was 330 now I'm at 237. Everyone keeps telling me I'm doing bad with low calories but I haven't had any health problems yet and I eat more on the weekends, like 1500 to 1600. Makes me mad though because it seems like that weekend weight will NOT leave until official weigh in day. Messes with my head.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Side note - why, as a male, are you eating so few calories? That is a good way to lose muscle and slow down your metabolism.

Just on a big cut I guess. My SW was 330 now I'm at 237. Everyone keeps telling me I'm doing bad with low calories but I haven't had any health problems yet and I eat more on the weekends, like 1500 to 1600. Makes me mad though because it seems like that weekend weight will NOT leave until official weigh in day. Messes with my head.

Key-word... YET. You need a certain amount of fat, protein and micronutrients to fuel your organs and body. Without them, you'll most likely experience muscle loss, hair breakage & loss, brittle nails, and perhaps even organ/bone damage down the line. Problems with hair and nails will take several months to surface.

What's your height?
  • honkinballs
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

Key-word... YET. You need a certain amount of fat, protein and micronutrients to fuel your organs and body. Without them, you'll most likely experience muscle loss, hair breakage & loss, brittle nails, and perhaps even organ/bone damage down the line. Problems with hair and nails will take several months to surface.

What's your height?

5'8
  • toxikon
    Options

What's your height?

5'8

I ran your stats through my fave TDEE calc: http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Your sedentary (sitting on your butt all day) TDEE is approx. 2400. So on days where you're mostly sedentary, you could eat 1900 calories and lose approx. 1lbs per week. Eating 1650 calories would have you losing 1.5lbs a week. I think that's the lowest you should aim for, tbh.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2018
    Options

For context I am same height, female and around 20lbs lighter than you, I lose 1lb per week eating 1750 net calories, I eat my exercise calories back to which gives a gross intake of anywhere from 1950-2400 calories.

You can't always feel the impact of undereating until it's too late.
  • honkinballs
    Options
    ... Alrighty then I'll look in to quest bars and eggs thanks guys.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    ... Alrighty then I'll look in to quest bars and eggs thanks guys.

And by eating more because at your height and weight, you're not making up for anything by eating a little more on the weekends.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

What's your height?

You beat me to it.
  • honkinballs
    Options
    Haha just kidding guys I eat 10,000 calories a day and will soon appear on My 600lb Life
  • toxikon
    Options
    Haha just kidding guys I eat 10,000 calories a day and will soon appear on My 600lb Life

I get the feeling you're getting annoyed with people telling you to eat more. Just know we're trying to look out for you, dude. We don't want to see you post again in 4 months saying "I lost a bunch of weight but now my hair is falling out and I feel weak and I get dizzy when I stand up! What do I do?"

All the protein bars in the world won't substitute for a diet that's too low in calories. :)
  • honkinballs
    Options

I get the feeling you're getting annoyed with people telling you to eat more. Just know we're trying to look out for you, dude. We don't want to see you post again in 4 months saying "I lost a bunch of weight but now my hair is falling out and I feel weak and I get dizzy when I stand up! What do I do?"

All the protein bars in the world won't substitute for a diet that's too low in calories. :)

I know. I've been thinking about upping the calories but I have some issues. First being I don't want an increase to lead back to old habits and gaining back weight. Second being I at the very least want to get to 200 first. I'm averaging around 2 to 2.5 lost a week so that should be what, four months?
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

I know. I've been thinking about upping the calories but I have some issues. First being I don't want an increase to lead back to old habits and gaining back weight. Second being I at the very least want to get to 200 first. I'm averaging around 2 to 2.5 lost a week so that should be what, four months?

The only way you'll gain weight is if you're eating above maintenance which as mentioned upthread is around 2400 calories for you, eating one extra snack a day or adding something extra to an existing meal should be a straight-forward enough way to keep you on track without driving you back to old habits.

It could be as simple as adding a banana to breakfast, having a protein shake, a spoonful of peanut butter or adding a little oil to something you're cooking.