Does anyone have spouse or S/O that doesn't help?

Options

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Dont count on her.....its for you unless youre using it as an excuse not to better you!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »
    I guess what I'm trying to say is (I'm so glad she's not going to see this) that seems like my S/O doesn't seem interested in trying to eat better or get any excercise which in turn makes it easier for me to slack off. And I'm not trying to pass the buck or sound selfish.

Thoughts?

My thought is that you are doing a fine job of passing the buck and sounding selfish.
    My figuring is that you don't do your cooking. Learn to do so and cook for yourself. If she wants your cooking, share. You might can trick her into a calorie deficit.

My Mrs. also isn't interested in trying to eat better. It's been a couple of years since I've changed and she's already experienced the loss-gain yo-yo and knows how to do it. If she cares to do it again, she knows what to do. Meanwhile, I know what to do and do it.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a different situation. I'm not married but I live with family members. I'm also a diabetic and a food addict. They have a huge sweet tooth. We share a kitchen and there are donuts, cakes, cookies, ice cream, candy, fast food, pizza and just about every other kind of snack and treat you can think of in my face 24/7. It's like an alcoholic living above a liquor store. I'm ultimately responsible for what goes in my mouth and I know that, but it's frustrating having no control over my environment and I feel like there's no real support. They can't exercise with me and they continually offer me things they know I'm not supposed to eat. I feel very alone sometimes. Moving elsewhere is financially impossible right now, so I'm stuck.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to do your own thing and resist temptation and if they want to change they will.

Take last night in my house:
    My husband and I went to the store to get stuff for dinner. He decided while he was there he wanted to make chicken finger subs, he bought enough stuff for both of us to have one and I bought stuff to make soup. After talking it through and realizing how he was planning on cooking it (deepfrying) I realized I didnt have the calories last night. So I made my soup, and had just a small chicken finger with no bread/cheese/mayo. Although I wanted what he was having I resisted. He still got to have what he wanted by cooking it himself and I got to have what I wanted by cooking myself. Some nights our meals just dont pair up, but we are both adults and can cook ourselves. Another thing we both tend to do is make enough of whatever we are making for both of us to have it. Either we will both eat it, or we have meals for lunch the next day.

My husband doesnt need to lose weight but hes always been pretty active and was trying to get me out and doing stuff with him for the past few years. It wasnt until I decided I wanted to change that I started going out and doing things with him. Now we go hiking almost every weekend and take the dog on walks for several hours every night, its been a total game changer in regards to our relationship, however had he guilted me into doing this before or tried to force me into it I wouldnt have enjoyed it and it simply would have created tension in my marriage.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    Is she forcing you to eat things you don't want or to slack off on the couch when you actually want to exercise? Because if not, isn't it her decision whether or not she goes down the same road? I really fail to see why she would need to chance her lifestyle the moment you decide you want to get fit. Discipline needs to come from within, not from external factors.

She just doesn't want to do anything. My energy level is up and hers declines daily it seems.

It's hard when it's a question of different energy levels. My BF is in PT for two bad shoulders that they can't fix surgically; his energy level is down from where it used to be, and he wears out much more quickly than he used to. That part stinks, because I like him and want to do things with him, but his needs are sometimes different from mine, and that has to be okay. That's pretty normal in a relationship; sometimes we're in the same place at the same time and at the same speed, but more often than not, we're trying to juggle and compromise and diverge and come back together to make sure both of our needs are met.

Talk to each other. Find things to prioritize, so she's being asked to share some things with you but isn't expected to change everything just because you want to. Try to find things that she might enjoy, so it's about the two of you and not just about you.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ehh, my husband belongs to the same gym as me and sometimes he joins me and other times he doesn't. He will often buy junk food to bring home, sometimes he will surprise me with cookies or candy that he knows I like but I know it's not because he's trying to derail me...he's just trying to be nice and not realizing how much it could throw me off. It can be very difficult to resist that temptation, or to get off my butt and exercise on days he's comfortable watching TV on the couch all day, so I understand where you're coming from. I do all of the cooking, and 99% of the grocery shopping which means that I have a lot of control over what food comes into the house and what we have for dinner. He's always welcome to anything and everything I prepare, and if he doesn't care for it he can find himself something else. It is a HUGE help to be the one in charge of meals, because even if I don't go to the gym I know I can still make healthy choices for my day. He does want to eat healthier and work out more, which is a little easier than if he refused to do anything and complained about the amount of vegetables on his plate.
    It is hard when you both have different goals (IE: Yours is to become healthier, and hers is to remain the same), and sometimes there is a level of jealousy, paranoia about other men/women, or even resentment that comes from one person making a lifestyle change while the other doesn't. It shouldn't be the case, but it happens and can cause a rift when there needn't be one. If you've explained why you want to be healthy, and have invited her to join in your journey, that's all that you can do. If you invite her to the gym, or for a walk, and she declines then you know you've done what you can for her and now you need to focus on you. If you're looking for motivation, come to these boards for advice, and leave her out of it until she decides to change her own lifestyle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I guess what I'm trying to say is (I'm so glad she's not going to see this) that seems like my S/O doesn't seem interested in trying to eat better or get any excercise which in turn makes it easier for me to slack off. And I'm not trying to pass the buck or sound selfish.

Thoughts?

I totally get what you are saying and yes, I have such a spouse. Luckily, his laziness means I do almost all the cooking so I cook healthy meals for us which he happily eats. Then he makes himself a sandwich or two after dinner. I'm fine with the food part honestly, but I do wish I could get him more into exercise. It's so tempting to snuggle up with him and play a video game or watch a movie when I know I need to exercise.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My spouse has helped immensely. She lets me spend the money I feel is important to me on the gear I want and doesn't question my eating habits. Not sure what else I can ask for. Whether or not she decides to engage in any of it is completely up to her - not me.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My husband is thin and active so even though he isn't specifically "dieting", he doesn't really hurt my routine. I cook most of the time, so he just eats what I make in bigger quantities than I do. Luckily my kids actually eat most of the things I make when I'm calorie counting. Husband cooks occasionally, but even then, it doesn't mess me up because the only thing he knows how to cook is grilled meat and microwave steam in bag veggies, and occasionally a really easy chili recipe. We have a regularly scheduled pizza nights, so I know when they are coming and can work the rest of the day around them.
    I guess I'm lucky in that regards... I imagine it's really frustrating if SO isn't on board and doesn't try to be supportive. Good luck!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I would venture to guess that more people have spouses that don't share their goals when it comes to health & fitness than do. Just seems normal to me- another temptation that has to be handled just like fast food on every street corner.

And as another poster mentioned, shared goals don't make things equal. My husband's calorie allowance is twice what mine is. He pretty much eats from the time he gets home until he goes to bed, and he is much more fit than me. It's a bummer I'm never going to be able to eat like that with him, but that's life.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do understand what you're saying. I have a harder time getting out of bed when my spouse is still cuddled up under the covers, and I am far more tempted to eat extra when she brings home cookies, it would be easier for me if she was as interested in fitness as I am. However, she could easily say the same. If I crawl back into bed she sure as hell wont be getting up to do her run, but if I suck it up and start getting ready for the gym 75% of the time she'll grumble about me being "too motivated" and then get up and put on her running clothes. I do all of the cooking, so that's a little easier for me, because she'll eat whatever I make. I know I have to either decline the weekend treats she inevitably buys, or I need to adjust my weekly calories to allow for some of the extra goodies occasionally and be responsible for what I put in my body. Maybe you'll inspire your spouse to join you eventually, but if not that has to be ok too.
  • RichNice
    RichNice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I won't say my wife isn't supportive per se....however there are times when she's knows I'm trying to eat a certain way and she'll still try to eat the exact opposite way.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I understand the desire to have a spouse share a love of activities with you. My husband is very physically fit and not an ounce overweight. But he has a demanding job. He is often tired on the weekends when he has time off.

He goes to the gym several times a week first thing in the morning. I cannot get up that early and be happy about it. Especially in the winter time ha! The few times I tried it so that we could have that togetherness at the gym... I realized what a ridiculous waste it was. Because when you are at the gym you are working out; you are exercising... you are not spending quality time with one another, you are spending quality time taking care of yourself.

I don't know where you live, but if it is winter time there perhaps she does not want to go out or have any energy because of the cold weather. Many people are affected by seasonal affective disorder and it does take a lot of effort to even want to leave the house when the weather is cold and miserable. I would suggest you find things to do with her to spend quality time with her that she wants to do, even if it is watching TV or playing a board game.

Maybe in the spring you can get her to go for walks with you or explore a trail in the state park or something like that. And I wouldn't spring it on her at the last minute but plan for it. I for one usually plan out my day and I do not like to have spontaneous things sprung at me at the last minute. Especially if I'm planning on relaxing with a glass of wine and a good book!

As to the food... That's all on you. You need to be responsible for your food. And remember she does not have to change her lifestyle just because you are changing yours. But what you can do is take care of yourself, and try to find ways that the two of you can still interact together. It doesn't have to be about Fitness.
  • lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My husband and family got irritated with me when I was thinner and more active. I hate to break it to you, but healthier and active people seem annoying to everyone else when they want to sit back, relax, and eat most of the time. You may find you have to change your milieu. Weight loss changes things, which is why a lot of spouses/SOs tend to be resistant. Most of the women I know have had husbands who sabotaged their effort.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My partner doesn't do what I do either, nor do I expect him to. That's not fair, to make a decision for myself, then try to impose it on someone else and when it doesn't work, blame them for my own shortcomings.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My husband and family got irritated with me when I was thinner and more active. I hate to break it to you, but healthier and active people seem annoying to everyone else when they want to sit back, relax, and eat most of the time. You may find you have to change your milieu. Weight loss changes things, which is why a lot of spouses/SOs tend to be resistant. Most of the women I know have had husbands who sabotaged their effort.

Oh, that's sad. While my husband doesn't share my goals, he would never try to sabotage what I'm doing.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Oh, that's sad. While my husband doesn't share my goals, he would never try to sabotage what I'm doing.

It is very sad and incomprehensible to me -
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Would agree with a lot of the insightful comments here already but here's my 2p for what it's worth.

My hubs is very supportive & has embraced the healthier lifestyle with me. However....he quickly lost the extra stone & a half (21lbs) he needed to lose...I've still got about 65lbs before I hit goal!

As a result, he needs to eat an awful lot more than me to maintain his weight while trying to build muscle. I tend to get round this by being the main cook. We eat the same things, he just has a lot more of it than I do! It can be difficult when he eats a lovely pudding or has evening nibbles & I can't join in. But the simple fact is, he needs it & I do not - I have to remind myself of this. It would be very very unfair of me to ask him not to enjoy whatever food he wanted on his own sofa, in his own home after a hard day at work.

I tend to exercise alone too & on the days where I'm really not feeling it, it's difficult to go & do it while he's eating a lovely breakfast....I have to remember I want to reach my goals more than I want a quick yum fix!

Like a lot of folk in this thread, I can only champion the thought that it's down to you (all of us) to meet your goals. There will be many people & social situations where you will be faced with temptation. All I can say is that it gets easier with the passing of time. If you can balance your own diet & get to the point where you feel comfortably satiated, what other folk are eating doesn't feature nearly as much - promise!

It's a difficult road, but very much worth it. You're worth it, so I hope you find your solution. Best luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

When I'm getting annoying and have too much energy, my BF stands next to the dog and says, "maybe someone would like to go for a WALK??" And then, because someone's said the w-word, someone is contractually obligated to take the dog for a walk :wink:

In all seriousness, I'm just saying that there are ways to work around most things.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't expect my husband to change. If he wants to change, we have all the tools available for him to do so. He respects my changes. At one point (around 2013/14 ish) he ended up following my example, but fell off track around the holidays and just hasn't bothered to get back on track. I'm not going to pressure him. If and when he wants to, he will and it will be his choice to do so.