January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 are "screw shoes " like "hooker heels"?

LOL!!! Not quite ;)

Just in case anyone does not know what he means, those are shoes where you put screws in them for traction. Something like these:

6dq4gj9towhz.png

ICESPIKETM Serious Traction for Any Outdoor Activity! No Straps, Chains or Coils.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    YIKES!! Those are expensive. No need to spend that much. You can get 100 hex-head sheet metal screws at places like Home Depot for just a few bucks. I think I paid $3 for the box I have.

here are the original instructions for screw shoes. Very easy to do, and very cheap (with hex head screws). I've also found that you can remove the screws and continue to use them with no difference in performance. The screws don't screw them up!

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Oh Bah! I did not look at the price when I linked that. I mean its a bag of screws and screwdriver... sheesh. I grabbed it more for the picture than anything else.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 glad I could make you laugh.
    @HRKinchen I personally work more on distance than speed but everyone is different. If you want to run longer slowly add to the 5K distance you ran. You can add speed one or two days a week. Again slowly so you don't get hurt. Congratulations on the distance that us awesome.

Took a rest day today. Trying to make up time here at work.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen congrats, that is huge! There are certain distance milestones you'll always remember and that is one of them.

My suggestion is to do no more than one run per week as a speed run. Most of your runs should be at that easy, conversational pace, particularly your long run. I used to recommend no speed work for newer runners but running faster does improve your running form and running economy so there is benefit to it.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Yea we have considered it, even in the past spoke with an electrician but usually what happens is the weather improves & we forget about it!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen - Congrats! That's a great accomplishment. The general advice would be to forget speed andfocus on endurance, but that doesn't mean that you can't give a little "extra" here and there. Maybe one day a week you could do 2 miles at 4.0, then gradually bump up the speed 0.1mph for 0.1-0.25 miles and see how far you can go?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 are "screw shoes " like "hooker heels"?

I think that depends on how fast you can run or how much money you make. :tongue: :grin:

Let's just say if they work as advertised, I'm not retiring them after all.

So much to say... And yet every time I type it out... It's just too much. :blush: ne'ermind.

Ha ha me too!