January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    January goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

1/1- REST
    1/2- 8.1
    1/3- 6.4
    1/4- REST
    1/5- 4.8
    1/6- 8.1
    1/7- 5.4
    1/8- REST
    1/9- 8.5
    1/10- 6.7
    1/11- REST
    1/12- 9.3
    1/13- 10
    1/14- 6.6
    1/15- REST
    1/16- 4.9
    1/17- 6.8
    1/18- REST
    1/19- 6.2

Total: 91.8

Today's notes: Today's assignment was 1:15:00 easy pace trail run. The XC trails were in pretty good shape, but the snow was pretty soft, so it made for a little harder running, but not hard. Run felt good. Now off to more training with Ross Greene on working with challenging children.

Oh, I got warning for posting my blog link, so I guess I won't be doing that anymore. I'll just say that a post is up I guess.

Have a Runderful day!

2018 races and possibilities
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - I wear Balega Blister Resist socks. They are made of mohair (still a natural fiber, but hypoallergenic), so should not aggravate a wool allergy.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - I wear Balega Blister Resist socks. They are made of mohair (still a natural fiber, but hypoallergenic), so should not aggravate a wool allergy.

I've recently started wearing these after so many people here recommended them. They're fab.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Good luck, @LaurenFOB2301! You'll do great!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Fellow Garmin/Fitbit/whatever device wearing runners that also wear it while sleeping overnight... do you find it is tight when you wake up? Like if I have it comfortable when I lay down, when I get up in the morning it is tight enough to be uncomfortable and leave a physical impression of itself in my skin.

Is that normal? I have to assume that means my wrist got bigger at night for some reason? Fluid retention while laying down?

I have never noticed mine being tighter in the morning. Obviously, your wrist is swelling overnight; the open question is why? If it's a normal consequence of some health issue you're already managing, it's no big deal. If it's something new and different, I'd want to know what is causing it.

More seriously, that is kind of why I asked. I have not worn a watch to bed for decades so did not know if some swelling at night was normal or not. I kind of suspect it is, and at least a couple people here so far have mentioned some similar experience.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    On the theme of socks…..I run a lot in wet stuff. It’s the UK, we like rain and mud, snow we don’t really get, but mud? Yep, by the bucketload. The only problem is…..I’m allergic to wool. I mean, maybe it would make me run faster, having a burning itching sensation in my feet that I couldn’t wait to soothe, but I’ll pass. Anyone got any good NON-natural fibre suggestions?

On the interwebs I found a site and you can probably find them other places, but Alpacas of Montana have a swift running sock. I LOVE alpaca because they are hypoallergenic and have the same warming quality of wool. I got a pair for Christmas and love them. My mom got them and the ones I got are a little thicker than I would have picked (they have different ones) but I still love them.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Fellow Garmin/Fitbit/whatever device wearing runners that also wear it while sleeping overnight... do you find it is tight when you wake up? Like if I have it comfortable when I lay down, when I get up in the morning it is tight enough to be uncomfortable and leave a physical impression of itself in my skin.

Is that normal? I have to assume that means my wrist got bigger at night for some reason? Fluid retention while laying down?

I have never noticed mine being tighter in the morning. Obviously, your wrist is swelling overnight; the open question is why? If it's a normal consequence of some health issue you're already managing, it's no big deal. If it's something new and different, I'd want to know what is causing it.

Well, I did some Googling and I am pretty sure now I have 17 incurable exotic diseases, but thankfully not all of them are fatal.

LOL - Doctor Google always tells me I have some weird and rare form of cancer. Thankfully, Google has been wrong 10/10 times. :)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options

I've recently started wearing these after so many people here recommended them. They're fab.

I tried them once and never used them again. It felt like my feet were encased in a furnace. I can’t do wool socks — FYI ... that’s probably why I keep loosing toenails.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

More seriously, that is kind of why I asked. I have not worn a watch to bed for decades so did not know if some swelling at night was normal or not. I kind of suspect it is, and at least a couple people here so far have mentioned some similar experience.

You can add another data point to your survey. It doesn't happen to me every single night, but it does when I've had high sodium intake, at certain points in my cycle, and other times when I notice water retention (e.g. carb binge, new workout routine, etc).
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    01/01 4.06 miles
    03/01 3.80 miles Phew that was one stormy run!
    05/01 3.61 miles - ate too close to running a bit sluggish
    18/01 4.24 miles- found it hard to breath. probably a mix of it being very cold and 11 days since last run.
    19/01 4.22 miles

exercise.png

• LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    Good luck, @LaurenFOB2301! You'll do great!

Thank you! I see you've been rockin' it this week! :smiley:
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    January 2018 runs:

01 Jan – 5 km parkrun 28:08
    02 Jan – 21.2 km half marathon 2:12:33
    04 Jan – 6.7 km
    06 Jan – 5 km parkrun 29:09 so freaking warm!!
    07 Jan – 18 km
    10 Jan – 13.1 km
    11 Jan – 11 km
    13 Jan – 5 km parkrun 28:29 & made a new Strava friend
    14 Jan – 16 km pretending to be a F1 racing driver
    16 Jan – 10 km
    19 Jan – 5 km practicing pacing using Garmin alerts 29:45

Jan goal: 170 km
    Jan total: 116 km

I'm being a (30 minute) pacer for parkrun (5km) on Saturday.

It will be my first time as a pacer, so I set up my Garmin to give me alerts if I go slightly over or under 6 min per km, and did a practice run this morning.

Did it today in 29:45. Hopefully will be even closer when I'm running on the exact course where I know the km markers. I've got 2 people wanting to follow me to get under 30 minutes, so the pressure is on! :smile:

@Orphia Hooray for pacers! I never would have made it though the marathon I ran in December without the supportive (and talkative) pacer I followed. I hope you help someone achieve their goal! :)