Regarding "This is why you're fat"

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
http://thisiswhyyourefat.com

Ugh! :sick: Just LOOK at some of those foods. Makes me wanna eat salad for the rest of my life. :laugh:

quoting the other thread above.....

I read all these responses there... and a few of you admit to finding these foods to be something you'd eat - but most of you say "Yuck!" or "Gross!" - and it makes me wonder, how DID you get fat if you don't find these foods attractive at all? Did your tastes just miraculously get "fixed" when you decided to lose weight and adapt a healthier eating style?? How did you DO that?! I want to know!

I feel like the only one who is living a daily battle by NOT eating deep fried chocolate bars or "garbage plates" of food. Sure, I've changed my eating lifestyle for the better but I still very badly WANT all of those foods when I see or smell them!

Tell me people - how did you miraculously cure the very thing that caused you to become overweight in the first place? (which for most of us was eating too much and of the wrong foods!)

Replies

• Wolfena
    Options

Ugh! :sick: Just LOOK at some of those foods. Makes me wanna eat salad for the rest of my life. :laugh:

I read all these responses there... and a few of you admit to finding these foods to be something you'd eat - but most of you say "Yuck!" or "Gross!" - and it makes me wonder, how DID you get fat if you don't find these foods attractive at all? Did your tastes just miraculously get "fixed" when you decided to lose weight and adapt a healthier eating style?? How did you DO that?! I want to know!

I feel like the only one who is living a daily battle by NOT eating deep fried chocolate bars or "garbage plates" of food. Sure, I've changed my eating lifestyle for the better but I still very badly WANT all of those foods when I see or smell them!

Tell me people - how did you miraculously cure the very thing that caused you to become overweight in the first place? (which for most of us was eating too much and of the wrong foods!)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself...I am not "cured" by any means...but I don't think I would've eaten a deep fried chocolate bar even when I was fat. (I love chocolate just the way it is :love: )

I have noticed that my tastes have changed now that I eat healthier. When I get a craving for a hamburger...I'll have one...but if there is too much grease...I immediately get sick. So now I have even started craving the "healthier" junk foods (I know that is an oxymoron but there are some things that are just way worse for you than others).

For me, I was fat because I ate out of boredom or overate. Not because I deep fried everything.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    mine was fast foods x every meal, every day. i was also not eating breakfast and drinking beer at least twice a week. :indifferent:

solution: cook at home, incorporate things i like a lot, and if i absolutely NEED to have a treat, i figure it into my calories. skip happy hour. eat snaks every day. :bigsmile:

the food on that website did make me gag. most of it had pork products which i dont eat. the rest was just ginormous i cant even imagine eating something that huge :noway:
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    I think most people were just making those comments because those pictures and those foods do not look that appetizing. They look bad.

I do not think the commenters meant that they thought all bad or unhealthy food was "gross or disgusting". But most of those foods on that site were over the top bad looking and made to be extremely large portioned, bacon in everything, deepfried, etc. This was not standard junk-food most of us eat everyday. I like junk food, but this was over the top.
    Just my opinion. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Check this guy out....Paul McKenna, I watched his series on TLC last spring, and it REALLY helped me a lot with that sort of thing. He's amazing, but he teaches you how to get over some of these food issues.

http://www.mckenna.com/

That's his website...but check TLC, if you get that channel, and see if his series is on again. It was like 4 episodes, and it was FANTASTIC!!

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I am very grossed out by a lot of them, but I wouldn't have eaten them before either. I mean sure, I love pizza, but come on, that pizza with corndogs on it? :sick: many of them just look so heavy that I couldn't stomach them. Most of the sweets look swesome though! cheesecake on a stick, deepfried candy bar, that oreo, I could do all of those. lol.

Keep in mind you can gain weight eating nothing but celery if you eat enough of it. calories in- calories out right?
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have not been cured of my taste buds. But I have been successful at losing weight by monitoring HOW MUCH of the junk I put into my body. Instead of 3 fast food trips/week, it's more like once per month.

I'll be the first to admit - I eat all the same stuff I ate "before" just waaaaay smaller portions. And a few weeks ago, I ordered fried pickles at a bar and dipped them in REAL ranch dressing while drinking beers! Life is too short to never have the foods you want....

But it will be a lot shorter if you have them constantly.
  • mutkin
    mutkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm with you! I looked at those pictures, and while the portion sizes could turn my stomach, the food itself sometimes looked good. I know I'll always fight against the pull of pizza and corndogs (mmmm), although I would not eat them together in the same bite. LOL When I go to a diner or buffet, I am sure that no matter what size I am or how long I've been eating healthy, that it will be a struggle to eat the right foods and a struggle to not over eat.
  • Wolfena
    Options
    I am very grossed out by a lot of them, but I wouldn't have eaten them before either. I mean sure, I love pizza, but come on, that pizza with corndogs on it? :sick: many of them just look so heavy that I couldn't stomach them. Most of the sweets look swesome though! cheesecake on a stick, deepfried candy bar, that oreo, I could do all of those. lol.

Keep in mind you can gain weight eating nothing but celery if you eat enough of it. calories in- calories out right?

I wouldn't have eaten the corn dog pizza either (I don't like corn dogs) :laugh: But I think that HAD to be a set up for the photo!
    (I'd just have pulled the corn dog off and eaten the pizza underneath!)
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I don't think anybody is 'cured'. Those pictures are extremes (how many of us can honestly say we've made a happy meal pizza?) I think that they were fun to look at, but were they realistic? No.

My tastes have changed since I started my new healthy lifestyle (and its only been since Jan 1). The other night I caved into temptation and ate some unhealthy foods and man did I feel SICK. My body is adapting but nothing like a 'cure'.

Hang in there, you will start to feel it too :) You are doing awesome so far!
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Personally, I saw a photograph of myself and nearly died. Right then and there I decided that nothing...NOTHING tasted as good as thin feels.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Very good point.

I was one of those who said "eww", lol, so I will respond to your post.

I'm not going to get into the biological aspects of this but what happened to me is when I started eating clean (slowly weeding out processed stuff, refined, stuff, HFCS, etc.) I found that gradually my desire for this stuff decreased too. I think it was more of developing a habit and new mindset.

A friend described it like a cycle - the more processed crap you eat, the more you want. You have to break the cycle. So for a while I craved fast food, and I moved calories around to make room for a cheeseburger, etc. Over time, I noticed as I increased "clean" food and read about the different physiological and psychological effects of food (and stuff that should not be called food) - it made me think different and I didn't want fast/processed food - it seemed like a huge waste of calories. Not worth it. Almost all of the pre-packed food is loaded with HFCS and other stuff. So I started making stuff at home. I learned how to cook and enjoy herbs, different veggies and fruits, etc. It is almost meditative, and once you get the hang of it - it's not time consuming; quite the opposite. My daughters watch and help me in the kitchen frequently and I love that they are also learning about cooking and eating healthy.

I still like a good hamburger, but I can pass on the cardboard stuff that McD sells as food. (Plus their meat is the lowest grade for human consumption - no thanks.)
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I was raised with a healthy love of foods....both healthy and not. I mean, I have always loved spinach and would eat a ton of it as a kid, but I also loved the bad stuff.

I think for me, it was more about portion sizes. My mom would make homemade most of the time, so I rarely had processed stuff. However, I WOULD have fried okra and potatoes and other Southern foods. I would have homemade mexican with tons of cheese, etc.

For me, it was just learning a new way to enjoy food. My stomach can't take things either too greasy or too rich anymore. I will enjoy junk sometimes, I just do it here and there and stop when full.

I think as time went on and I felt SO much better due to the foods I was eating, it made it very easy to choose the better options.

A friend said one day "We all ordered pizza and Tami got a salad, I could never do that. I don't have the strength!" And I said "Well, the salad is one of my fav things at that restaurant. It has grilled chicken, gorgonzola cheese, cranberries, walnuts, sliced apple, etc and then I put balsamic vinegarette on it." It is hardly LOW-FAT, but I just LOVE it and enjoy it so much more than the pizza. I mean, its not about deprivation at all.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Speaking for myself, I haven't "miraculously cured" anything!
    When I joined MFP and started seeing my daily food log numbers, I started making better food choices and getting exercise so that I could up my totals.
    I LOVED the feeling of being in control of my eating, as well as knowing that I WASN'T going to be "deprived" of all the "goodies" out there. I just had to "work" for the things I wanted, and only treat myself once in awhile.
    I STILL go "nutzo" when I'm around "all you can eat buffets" and dessert tables. The difference is, I don't go crazy very often, and then get right back on track with my healthy eating MOST of the time! :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the thread till this one, and I haven't clickd the link yet, but I wanted to chime in and say that since I have been on the "right path" for 7 weeks now, my cravings for those "bad" foods are decreasing. I think a lot of it is the fact that I now calculate how much it would take to work it off. Before I made these changes, I would think nothing of drinking a Coke. Now I will not touch it, not because I don't want it, but because I am now unwilling to waste my calories on that. And when I went to a party and way over-indulged, all the fat I ate made my stomach hurt and feel so uncomfortable, it was not worth it in that way either. So it is still a struggle, but less of one than it used to be. For me.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's me, but I find the kick-off statement to this thread mean spirited. The pictures on there were grossly over-exaggerated and I know the average obese person does not chow down on corndog pizza for every meal. As a matter of fact, I think these photos and the heading that accompanies it, just goes on to further stereotype the overweight and obese culture that made me feel so bad about myself and feel so self concious when I was weighing in at 270lbs. Lack of exercise and activity is enough to make even a semi-healthy eater gain weight and become "fat". I don't think we're on here to question why we used to be fat, but we're here to support eachother and look to the future and encourage a healthy lifestyle no matter if we are trying to gain, lose, or maintain. "This is why you're fat"...Well, personally, i don't need anyone pointing out the reasons why I'm fat, or was fat.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not cured by any means but even before my lifestyle change I couldn't have eaten something that looked as gross as those pictures look. I got fat from eating at fast food restaurants way too often, eating junk food and eating from the snack machine at work. I still eat at fast food restaurants and from the snack machine on occasion but when I do I try to eat healthier. And on occasion I am tempted by the junk food but I try to substitute it with something healthier or limit it.
  • Wolfena
    Options
    Well.... I guess it's just me, because I've been on "the right track" now for almost 3 years. I lost a lot of weight (see signature) I've kept most of that weight off. I've always liked healthy foods as much as the junk foods just changed my diet when I became enlightened through education about food, nutrition and exactly what it was my body needed.

The cravings for me have never gone away, never gotten any better. If anything, they are now worse! I didn't even really care for sweets before I lost weight and now I feel like I'm a sugar-holic who is obsessed with it.

Thank you for your replies so far - still interested in hearing more.

:smile:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I look at the pictures of me at my heaviest. That's cure enough. Sure, sometimes I eat something bad, fried, fat laden, and cheese drenched, but not on a regular basis. I want it a lot but it's mostly when I'm feeling emotional (which I can recognize now and generally do a good job of avoiding emotional eating) or am really, REALLY hungry. If I make sure to snack and don't get hungry (no tummy rumbles!) then I am USUALLY okay to have the healthier options. It IS hard, however, to go to a restaurant and order something healthy. The smells get to me. No cure here. I should carry my fat pictures around. LOL
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's me, but I find the kick-off statement to this thread mean spirited. The pictures on there were grossly over-exaggerated and I know the average obese person does not chow down on corndog pizza for every meal. As a matter of fact, I think these photos and the heading that accompanies it, just goes on to further stereotype the overweight and obese culture that made me feel so bad about myself and feel so self concious when I was weighing in at 270lbs. Lack of exercise and activity is enough to make even a semi-healthy eater gain weight and become "fat". I don't think we're on here to question why we used to be fat, but we're here to support eachother and look to the future and encourage a healthy lifestyle no matter if we are trying to gain, lose, or maintain. "This is why you're fat"...Well, personally, i don't need anyone pointing out the reasons why I'm fat, or was fat.

I see what you're saying but that's the title of the website, it wasn't in mean spirits by the poster. I know a lot of overweight and obese people and I can honestly say I have never seen one of them eat those foods. I see the site as more of a commentary on our society. Like hey... look at these outrageous things you can buy... no wonder our society is so fat. Don't take it personally, I'm sure not.