Does having MFP buddies really help?

Options
So I've actually been a MFP user since before UnderArmor acquired it, but often fall of the wagon and get sick of logging or my mind is occupied with other things/issues. However, this time around I've been lurking here on the forums and see a lot of people like to get friends on here for motivation and accountability. How does that work? Do people find it useful? Is it kind of like having a gym buddy? My wife is pretty good at nagging me, so maybe I don't need one...haha.

Joking aside, just curious how the social aspect of MFP works for people.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    The answer is, maybe :smile: I like having friends here and engaging on the forums because it keeps the process dynamic and interesting. It also keeps me from boring my friends, family, and co-workers to death with talk about CICO, TDEE, and weight trends :lol:

My husband, on the other hand, has one friend here (me, and only so I can steal custom meals from his food diary lol) and that works fine for him.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For some, it helps to have others going through the same thing to encourage and cheer them on. For others, they prefer to do it on their own. I’ve made great friends on here in four years, but ultimately I don’t depend on them.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Comments and messages from friends is huge and may make the total difference in keeping you accountable.
  • CindyLouWhoinWhoville
    CindyLouWhoinWhoville Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have one MFP buddy that messages me on a regular basis and when I told that person that I was slacking on tracking because I knew it was going to be bad, they encouraged me to track the good, the bad and the ugly. I did and I am glad that this person has held me accountable. I feel better about doing it. It is also nice when your buddies "like" that you exercised and completed your food diary. :D

edited for spelling mistake
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I like participating in the forums but I don't accept friend requests. Years back I was on here and more people had their diaries open so it was more fun to have friends, but now I just don't see the point.
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with Justin741. I did MFP for 2 years without friends and I kept not logging. Last year, I started to have friends and it helps keep me on track. I can't do this journey alone and I will be more successful with friends. Good Luck to you and add me if you like. later :)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I like that I can post updates and chat with like-minded people instead of blabbing at my real-life friends about calories and weight loss - because I guarantee they'd get annoyed pretty damn quick.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    If the friends are supportive and comment on your posts yes it is very helpful, howeveruf they don't it very annoying. Support is a two way thing. Wishing you all the best and good luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I did the friend thing more in regards to similar fitness interests and whatnot...not so much accountability and motivation...I don't get a whole lot out of pats on the back and atta boys. I'm not particularly active on my FL anymore...only occasionally.
  • ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. For some people, knowing that others are following you adds another level of accountability. For some, it's the "since I'm in the neighborhood..." factor. By coming to the site to socializing, they are reminded to log their activities. Yet, there are some who could take or leave the social media component.

I find myself in the third category. My social media participation depends largely on my mood and schedule. So I participate in spurts. Plus, I am more receptive to face-to-face motivation. It's hard to skip a day when you know someone is depending on you to show up.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just like anything your return is based upon your investment. If you simply add friends, but don't engage, then nothing is going to change.

If you engage with friends, post your failures and successes and find out what is going wrong and right, then you will likely succeed.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    My social media participation depends largely on my mood and schedule. So I participate in spurts.

I'm like this as well. Don't have a lot of friends and kind of come and go with my participation with them.

In real life, I tend to do this alone. And have been pretty consistent with it for the last year.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It helps me cause my wife does not share my interest in diet and fitness so it gives me people to talk about it with of like mind.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I lurked on the MFP forums for years before joining - after I hit maintenance. Even then I didn't accept requests.

As I slow started accepting new friends, it was great meeting new people who has similar health/fitness/nutrition interests.

I've connected with some amazing people over the years who are now my real life friends. <3

Even though I lost my weight on my own, I can see how having some fitness buddies around would be helpful...especially on those off days.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I like posting on the forums. It's great if you have a question and maybe want a response more personal than a Google search. I also like to help others when I can. It's nice to just read success stories as well, they can be motivating. As far as friends on here, it doesn't help me. I accept requests but I don't really interact with them. If you're unsure, give it a try! You may find that it is great for you!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Having mfp friends helps if and only if you have the right friends. It's hard to say why one friend is right and a completely different friend is also right, but you know it when you have it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    My social media participation depends largely on my mood and schedule. So I participate in spurts.

I'm like this as well. Don't have a lot of friends and kind of come and go with my participation with them.

In real life, I tend to do this alone. And have been pretty consistent with it for the last year.

You know you have the best friends on MFP.